Key West Spring Trip

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pale Rider 07

Reaction score
This will be a two day ride down to Key West and back. The idea is to leave on a Saturday and return on Sunday. We need to get planning early so that we can get a bike count and start looking for lodging for Saturday night.

I'm proposing the dates of April 2nd/3rd. Post if these would work for you and if not, some alternative dates.

On a side note, I got to test the bike2bike capabilities of the Sena SMH10 headset this past weekend and it exceeded my expectations. Syncing was painless and the sound quality was crystal clear. Spencer is the other rider with the same system. So for any of you that are thinking about a blue tooth headset system, this is one option that is currently in use with a couple of us. I don't want to post any pricing info or this will get bumped to another section, but I got mine at mrhit dot com for a very good price. Hopefully we can get more of our group on these.

On a side note, I got to test the bike2bike capabilities of the Sena SMH10 headset this past weekend and it exceeded my expectations. Syncing was painless and the sound quality was crystal clear. Spencer is the other rider with the same system. So for any of you that are thinking about a blue tooth headset system, this is one option that is currently in use with a couple of us. I don't want to post any pricing info or this will get bumped to another section, but I got mine at mrhit dot com for a very good price. Hopefully we can get more of our group on these.
I guess I'll stick with my CB setup! Dunno how I'd incorporate another comm system into what I've already got unless I put that on ear buds. It is great being able to talk to each other during the ride.

Anytime is probably good for me; but we need to set the date for sure then look at lodging down there. I can use the Navy base (Trumbo Point) but can't get all of you on. Depending of if this will include some wives/girlfriends or just a guy trip, could split a couple of rooms to keep costs down. Lodging will be cheaper up near when you first get on Key West vs being on Duval St, then just cab it down/back.

Too bad some of you don't have a ID card (military); I can get 3 br condos for $95 night for the first 2 adults and $10 ea after. Wifey & I just spent Christmas to New Years there...

I should be able to join in. I'm flexible on dates at this time, but Apr 2/3 sounds fine. No Mil pass for me :(

I may be up for this. Are you guys planning to take back roads down at all? I've got a good route to get down towards Palm City from the Tampa / Lakeland area. Nothing but nice backroads.

I may be up for this. Are you guys planning to take back roads down at all? I've got a good route to get down towards Palm City from the Tampa / Lakeland area. Nothing but nice backroads.
Those of us on the East Coast will most likely just slab it down - or at least I will (others pipe in please), but we could meet somewhere along the way possibly, or just setup the hotel and approximate times, and each of us be responsible for our own reservations, etc...

Since it is a quick down and back, I would be leaning towards the super-slab to maximize time in Key West that evening. I could hook up with the rest of the crew near Melbourne. Of course there's always the Turnpike if I really need to cut off some miles and make up some time because I overslept. Meeting spot would then be near Fort Pierce.

Since it is a quick down and back, I would be leaning towards the super-slab to maximize time in Key West that evening. I could hook up with the rest of the crew near Melbourne. Of course there's always the Turnpike if I really need to cut off some miles and make up some time because I overslept. Meeting spot would then be near Fort Pierce.
I usually take the turnpike and catch it @ Ft. Pierce; I have a Sunpass so it makes it easy. That would be an ideal place to meet - at one of the businesses between I-95 and the turnpike. I was just there a few weeks ago but can't recall a specific station to point to...

If Tony goes, we could meet farther down @ maybe one of the turnpike rest/gas stops.

I usually take the turnpike and catch it @ Ft. Pierce; I have a Sunpass so it makes it easy. That would be an ideal place to meet - at one of the businesses between I-95 and the turnpike. I was just there a few weeks ago but can't recall a specific station to point to...

If Tony goes, we could meet farther down @ maybe one of the turnpike rest/gas stops.
It sounds great to me! BTW- I live right off I-95 (We could meet up at my place)

Key West is 4 hours from West palm beach, so you could use my house to meet up with any

western riders coming over... Just a thought...... good fuel point from cenral Florida.

It sounds great to me! BTW- I live right off I-95 (We could meet up at my place)

Key West is 4 hours from West palm beach, so you could use my house to meet up with any

western riders coming over... Just a thought...... good fuel point from cenral Florida.
Why - Is it about 320 miles? :)

Why - Is it about 320 miles? :) :haha:
Within tank range.... may have to push the last couple miles (I'll never live that down will I?) :grin: :graduated:

I should be able to make this ride. I'll probably ride down to W.Palm Beach on Friday and spend the evening with my sister and then meet up with the group from there (with Tony). Would like to take some "nice" back roads on the way back, all the ones up north (Jax/St Augustine) seem to be long, straight, and flat and not all that nice (except Rt 13 along the river, nice, but slow and flat). Now if I had a Harley I'd be saying A1A is a fun ride...not.

Now if I had a Harley I'd be saying A1A is a fun ride...not.
I do have a Harley also and just might bring it...
I have 2 Road Stars for my cruzin, as a mater of fact I did the dragon on one of them a few years back, I'm not knocking the cruisers just saying its fun of a differnt kind. Jim, did you change the hydraulic hoses on your FJR, I think I'm going to need some help doing mine.

Tim

Jim, did you change the hydraulic hoses on your FJR, I think I'm going to need some help doing mine.
Which hoses? Well, doesn't matter; I've not touched any of mine other than move them around as I've had the top Heli's on/off a couple of times, including soon again.

Why do you need to mess with yours? If you want help by all means stop on over any time is convenient. I have a full factory service manual and also post here what you intend to do and I'm sure we can get some wisdom from the forum members beforehand.

The hydraulic hoses would be the ones for the brake and clutch lines. I bought some Spiegler SS lines a few years back through a group buy here on the forum and never got around to putting them on. I recall that the ABS changeover can be difficult and the clutch line damn near impossible. Was looking for some help/experience. Has anyone in Florida or South Ga done this?

That aside, looking forward to the ride to Key West.

Tim

FYI...

Just found out I have visitors coming in on Apr 8th, so that weekend and the next are out for me.

April 2/3 is still okay at this point.

FYI...

Just found out I have visitors coming in on Apr 8th, so that weekend and the next are out for me.

April 2/3 is still okay at this point.
And that date may be out for me; Wifey & I make regular trips to Delaware to see her folks, now in their late 80's. That's looking like one of the better weekends for her and work, etc...

Of course, you guys ought to do your own ride anyway, pick a time, and whoever can go can go! I will if I can...

I've marked my calendar...coming from Nawlins' - like the plan for EOM last year, I would ride to Jacksonville and stay with a bud there beforehand.

I have a CB for comm.

Question: can I invite others??? I'm thinking of 3-4 local FJR riders...what about a few non FJR riders that are past good company on trips?

I'm a Navy Vet (7 yrs) and still have my pink reserve ID card...I've considered staying at military housing in the past, but never did - yet

A number of my buds I would ask to come are Vets also...retired +20 vets in their case.

I'm mholiver at cox dot net if desired, but will monitor this thread

Been kicking around a Key West trip for a couple years without implimentation

This one sounds like a way for me to go with reasonable/minimum expense for this fixed income family dude

Cheers

Mike

Last edited by a moderator: