Keyless mod - anyone ever done this?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edgeburner

Reaction score
I did a google search as well as on this forum. I didn't find anything related so...

Anyway, I think it would be great to have a keyless fob ignition. I think there is an American manufacturer that has this option (cough cough). I am just curious if anyone has ever done this mod and how did you accomplish this? Thanks!

Do not waste time on this RIDE the bike

Sorry to sound blunt but why would you want to ???

I have a key on a key clip put it in and ride what's the problem with that ? it dose not go flat , have problem if it gets dropped in water ,it can even be washed and still work unlike some electronic FOB which can work for a while after getting wet then the corrosion takes over and one day it dose not work .

Wow...Graham hit that one on the head.

No one that I have heard of has done this. It may be more trouble than it is worth. However, if you do pull it off and it's cool as shit, well priced and reliable, people may just jump on your wagon.

Interesting idea from a tech standpoint, but I remember reading lots of complaints from the C-14 crowd on Kawasaki's keyless system. I think I'll stick to the K.I.S.S philosophy.

I would not care for a key less ignition, much happier carrying a key and a hidden spare.

Sometimes technology can be counter productive.

If you really want one here you go, BTW I found this with BING search.
rolleyes.gif

https://www.digitalguarddawg.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=DGD&Category_Code=a10000MK-Kaw

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting idea from a tech standpoint, but I remember reading lots of complaints from the C-14 crowd on Kawasaki's keyless system. I think I'll stick to the K.I.S.S philosophy.
This ^

I know several people with the C14 and few of them consider the keyless fob an answer to anything they were asking. At best it's a nothing thing and worst, you leave the fob somewhere and can't start your bike (or any number of electronic things happen that cause a fail even with the fob handy).

I've got one on my Camry Hybrid. Every once in a while, the battery starts puking out and won't start the car until I disassemble it and replace the key-fob battery. And heaven forbid if that hundred dollar "key" gets lost or washed. I'm thinking that for Toyota and their fancy technology, keyless=clueless. Wish I had a key. Sure this is a good idea? If indeed you've got the farkle itch, and ya wanna spend some money, maybe look into a Russel Day Long seat or a set of Clearwater LED lights in the group buy section of this forum. Just my humble opinion.

Gary

darksider #44

Screenshot2012-11-15at100332PM.png

I think K.I.S.S. is what Kawasaki calls their Keyless ststem.

Useless, unless it unlocks the gas cap and bags too...
I'm pretty sure if it did this I'd figure out a way to accidentally hit the button at 80mph.
sheesh- unlock, not open...Just about anytime I get off or on I need to get gear out of the bags so even with keyless [ie. Ki-Pass} would need to fumble with a key.

I think K.I.S.S. is what Kawasaki calls their Keyless ststem.
Nope. It's KIPASS.

I heard too many horror stories on KIPASS........ no thanks.

Although I prefer not to go into specifics. I am a person who had lots of complaints on the C14's key-less system known as KIPASS. The truth be told is that system is the main reason I now ride an FJR. So maybe KIPASS did me a favor, since in all honesty, I like the FJR better than the C14 (KIPASS not withstanding). There are things I like better and worse about both bikes. But the FJR seems to just fit me much better. And after having KIPASS for three years, I am just fine with a tried and true basic key ignition. Again, my intention is not to knock Kawasaki or the KIPASS system in anyway. Only that it wasn't the best motorcycle experience for me. But there are a lot of folks who have the C14 and love the system. We all have are own ideas, likes and dislikes. So although a key-less ignition might be more convenient for some folks. I prefer the K.I.S.S. scenario myself as well. In most cases, I prefer less weight and complexity vs. what could be considered unnecessary bells and whistles. Again, to each their own.

I personally prefer to try not to have anything that might created problems down the road for me. I understand that it may not be possible in all aspects of these bikes. But I try to weigh out things on needs/wants vs. possible troubles with reliability down the road. So although I prefer a basic keyed ignition over a key-less set up. Some folks have there own preference. But I will point out that Kawasaki's KIPASS is not a key-less system. The C14 KIPASS system only allows for the key to remain in the ignition.

Opinion against this idea is so unanimous, I'm ABSOLUTELY sure the O.P. will be back on soon to tell us he's doing it anyway. Like always.
Au contraire!
no.gif

I think this is actually a pretty dumb idea now that I have read about the negatives. I would still have to carry a key for the bags and the possibility of the thing getting washed in the laundry scares the ever living shit out of me. lol

Thanks for all the comments.