Keyless mod - anyone ever done this?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got one on my Camry Hybrid. Every once in a while, the battery starts puking out and won't start the car until I disassemble it and replace the key-fob battery.
Gary, When the fob battery is dead you can still start the car!

Hold the fob as close to the start button as possible while you press it.

I've got one on my Camry Hybrid. Every once in a while, the battery starts puking out and won't start the car until I disassemble it and replace the key-fob battery.
Gary, When the fob battery is dead you can still start the car!

Hold the fob as close to the start button as possible while you press it.
Whatdoyaknow? Who da thunk i'd find that our HERE? -- -- thanks 35!!!

I have keyless on my Multistrada and IMO it’s splendid example of “tech to be cute”. It’s a solution desperately seeking a problem. On an over the road bike, 70% of the time you get on or off the bike you’re going to need the key: gas cap, panniers, under seat storage. So, rather than just pluck the key out of the ignition switch I get to fish around in my pocket with the week old chewing gum, ten year old condoms, assorted map pieces, tire gauge, doggie treats, spare ammo…. You get the idea.

Stories of guys riding off with their key in the (hard to see) lock for the under seat storage are numerous. And don’t even get me started about how the wireless systems some gas stations use for pump-to-cash register communications can blind the ignition system. Real fun, that.

My keyless experience led me to not even consider the Concourse. Buncha dumb-ass, commie technojizz.

Opinion against this idea is so unanimous, I'm ABSOLUTELY sure the O.P. will be back on soon to tell us he's doing it anyway. Like always.
Au contraire!
no.gif

I think this is actually a pretty dumb idea now that I have read about the negatives. I would still have to carry a key for the bags and the possibility of the thing getting washed in the laundry scares the ever living shit out of me. lol

Thanks for all the comments.
I have no idea how good the Kawi fob is, but I can tell you from experience that my Kia Sorrento fob sent through a wash without a problem.

What would the unlock button do on a bike? All the luggage just pops open

I can't see much use for a keyless fob for a bike, but they are nice to have for the car. After getting my new FJR in 07, my wife decided she needed a new toy also so I found a very nice barely used Acura TL for her. She usually keeps the fob in her purse and as long as it's in the car, all she has to do is press the brake and start button to get going. The car auto unlocks when she touches the door handle. And I have a fob also so that the car recognizes me and auto adjusts the mirrors/seat/radio/AC/etc to my setting when I open the door.

Very convenient (as long as it doesn't fail). One annoyance is that the battery in the fob is very voltage sensitive. That 3v lithium battery better be well above 3v or else the car won't start normally. Luckily the nominal voltage on those batteries is at least 3.2volts. But if the battery gets weak, you can at least stick the fob in a slot on the dash and start normally.

What happens if you throw the fob out the window while driving down the road? The wife got to find out last year when she drove off with the fob on the roof of the car. The car beeps at you, but keeps driving. But once you shut it off, there's no way to restart it. Then she had to call the guy on his FJR to come and bring a fob to rescue her. I slowly rode along the country road where I live and actually found the fob laying on the road and it still works! BTW, A month later she left her cell phone on the roof of the car. It stopped working immediately and was never found. :angry: