kickstand ???

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctfjr

Reaction score
I know I'm not the fastest rider or the longest LD rider but I know a crappy kickstand when I see one. I've read the sheepish tales here of those who have dropped their fjr's because they roll off the kickstand. I've also read the crap that's been directed at them. So I'll take my chances. . .

No, I haven't dropped mine yet (it's only been 10 weeks & 5000 miles, give me a chance). Has anyone come up with a mod ahem, like the Harley stands? Anything, any kind of mod? I've owned & ridden a lot of different bikes & I can see its only a matter on time before I watch it fall over.

Some folks have ground a little material off of the side stand stop so that it goes a little further forward when fully deployed. Personally, I have no problem with it as it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Best cure for your side stand is being paranoid. You could also take a grinder to the point on the frame that stops the side stand and grind some material off to make the angle a bit better. I've had no issues with mine, and my bikes lowered an inch.

No problems here either. But when I lower my side stand I give it an extra nudge with my left foot before I dismount to make sure it is all the way against the stop. And, of course, I always put it in first gear to be sure the bike can't roll.

Has anyone come up with a mod ahem, like the Harley stands?
Fred H. was working on a scheme some time ago. He made the mistake of posting the idea here, I don't think it ever got finished.

The stand works just fine when it is properly used, make sure you plant your foot firmly behind it each and every time, no problems.

What? You're supposed to put it down first? Gonna have to try that if I ever heal....
Anyone ever weld a 3" X 3" square metal plate to the bottom of their kickstand so they have a built-in pad to prevent kickstand from sinking in when parking on softer surfaces? A guy I ride with did that on his BMW and after he had it painted, it actually looked pretty good.

Anyone ever weld a 3" X 3" square metal plate to the bottom of their kickstand so they have a built-in pad to prevent kickstand from sinking in when parking on softer surfaces?
No, but in my tankbag I carry a metal outlet box blank with a length of string attached, that I toss under there when necessary, and loop the string up where I can reach it when it's time to disembark.

That's IF I remember to put down the sidestand before I get off the bike, AND if I heal....

I'm anxiously awaiting the Skyway sidestand footplate farkle....

Mine has worked fine so far. I've got a habit of pulling the bike backwards when I set it down on the 'stand to make sure it's fully deployed. Also, I don't park facing downhill.

My FJR was only two weeks old when this happened to me. I was stupid enough to park it slightly downhill without it being in gear. It took a couple seconds for it to creep forward... Luckily, I noticed what was going on and was able to grab the bars and brace it with the side of my leg before it went too far over.

I learned my lesson and my mint condition bike was spared its first scratch... until I hit a road cone two weeks later. :angry2:

Thanks for all the comments. I agree / do just about everything that everyone has mentioned. I sure m patanoid about it. I always make sure its fully forward. I always 'foot it' (like a ladder) and pull back on the bike as I get off. Yep, I always leave it in gear if it looks like the slightest downhill grade (I actually turn off the bike by putting it in gear while the stand is down.

Doesn't matter - its just a matter of time.

I will take a look at the grinding idea (I actually did this on my gl1800). I have also been thinking about shortning the length of the stand, maybe a 1/4" or so. I am in the plumbing / heating distribution business & we have plenty of customers who are good welders. I could get a piece cut out of the middle, weld it back together, grind the weld smooth & paint it.

Doesn't matter - its just a matter of time.
Well, that's a defeatist attitude that will surely give the results you expect.

I don't know what to tell you. Pay attention, engage brain, and it's not that big of a deal. It becomes second nature.

In 5 years and over 170k on FJRs, I have never even come close to dropping the FJR off the sidestand.

How many sidestand threads are there?

I thought after this(clicky) one we were good for a while

I dunno, seems no worse than any of my other ones. Put it forward, make sure bike is in gear with no slack in the driveline to allow bike to roll forward. always park uphill, always park with the stand on the upside of a slant or camber.

I've seen bikes go down, but always because of operator error, seems odd to blame the kickstand me thinks. Certainly this ant FJR specific