Knee Protection

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We don't have the heat here in the Seattle area so I wear my Aerostitch AD1 pants year 'round. But I also used to wear my leather jacket with no vents year 'round in Daytona when I lived there for 6 years. These pants have knee pads standard and I also installed the optional hip pads. BTW, they have a bunch of AD1 pants on clearance for about $197. These are high quality Gore-tex/balistic nylon pants.

Thanks for all the info. I have been using the kevlar jeans. Appears to be varying opinions on how well they would do in a slide. My leather jacket has elbow pads and shoulder pads. Kevlar jeans with some knee pads combo??!! Bohn cool mesh with knee, hip and back pads looks a good fit with kevlar jeans.

I sometimes wear Kevlar jeans as well (Draggin' jeans). I picked up this set of knee armor for them (not from this company, incidentally -- I don't anything about them, just did a google search for the product). They attach to the inside of the jeans with velcro. Works fine.

Scotty, knee armor is only as good as what's holding it in place. If your jeans are holding the armor in place & the jeans rip, I'd assume that your pads are going with the rest of the rip.

If armored gear is sewn together using crappy thread, I see the armor in the gear as offering little to no protection.

This is just my opinion, too... but my technical mind seems to think that this makes sense.

Good luck in whatever you do though,

Heidi

Occasionally, I'll wear Draggin' jeans or similar. I used to not wear any padding underneath, but now I do (no incident in the middle).

I use some MX/offroad armor, two velcro straps each. Mine are Fox, but have a look at the offroad section of your favorite gear shop.

fits better than loose fitting pants that have armor built in I think.

Icon Leg Armor. I wear these when I just want to wear jeans or am commuting to work in cargos. I had a truck t-bone me and I went sliding down the road with these on. Not a scratch on me even though I landed on my knee. Hell, the armor barely had a scratch on it. The armor stays in place and works very well. Even fits inside the tops of my SIDI On-Roads.

Default.jpg

My 2 cents:

Picked up this pair of black "jeans" with built in armor for $40. They've got built-in knee and hip pads. They're cheaply priced britches that seem to offer good protection.

ej -- I usually commute in jeans (yeah, I know, I know...) and I think I'll give that Icon leg armor a shot.

I thought I'd let folks know that the "phone code" for that stuff at parts411.com is 55. That's the cheapest price I've been able to find.

I have the "RevIt" top and bottom, both which have the armor in the appropriate places. However, I am somewhat ashamed to admit :dribble: that while I always wear my RevIt jacket, I generally wear just jeans when I'm taking a "casual" ride. And I recently bought the Bohn Armor bottoms, which you wear under your jeans, and yet I only wear them if I'm taking a longer spin. Its really stupid -- cause I'm really gonna be pissed if I go down on one of my short "casual" rides.... :black eye:

One of my goals in 2008 is to do more of ATGATT when I ride. Its idiotic to do anything less. Jay

Your right Jay, I was having a casual ride with my wife the Sunday before Thanksgiving out on an isolated road. I left my leather pants in the closet,wore jeans. A yellow Lab bolted from barrow ditch into left side of front wheel,took us out quickly. Two months later i now have new skin on left knee! I now say I won't ever ride with jeans again!

I am somewhat ashamed to admit :dribble: that while I always wear my RevIt jacket, I generally wear just jeans when I'm taking a "casual" ride.
Ooh Jay, I'm gonna 'spank you the next time I see youuuuu...

Last edited by a moderator:
Be very cautious with the Kevlar jeans. For the price paid they offer very little protection. The Kevlar is too thin to do much, so they are really just a false sense of security. Besides, once the jeans peel, the kevlar peels and ur skin is next. Go with mesh riding pants. I have the Tourmaster overpants with the rain and warmth liners and love them. Goto Motogearoutlet.com and look at their selection and then call Mary at (303) 456-4757. They'll make you a good deal, give good advice, and their customer service cannot be beat.

Be very cautious with the Kevlar jeans. For the price paid they offer very little protection. The Kevlar is too thin to do much, so they are really just a false sense of security. Besides, once the jeans peel, the kevlar peels and ur skin is next. Go with mesh riding pants. I have the Tourmaster overpants with the rain and warmth liners and love them. Goto Motogearoutlet.com and look at their selection and then call Mary at (303) 456-4757. They'll make you a good deal, give good advice, and their customer service cannot be beat.
Well, that's all good an' everything... But unfortunately Tourmaster thinks that mesh pants need to be black. My experience is that black gear is fargin' hot in the midst of summer, even way up here in Cow Hampshire, so I'm thinking it would be unbearable in the really warm climes.

Someone should slap these gear manufacturers upside the head and let them know that these aren't snowboarding pants. Black ain't "all that" when the mercury shoot up over 90 F.

OH, and for what it's worth, those nylon mesh pants will disintegrate in a long slide too. Just hope the slide's not too long and the pads stay in place.

I am somewhat ashamed to admit :dribble: that while I always wear my RevIt jacket, I generally wear just jeans when I'm taking a "casual" ride.
[Peter Sellers Voice]

I like to watch...

[/Peter Sellers Voice]

For better or worse I went with Bohn adventurer padded pants over kevlar jeans. Seems to fit very well. Leaving for motorcycle tour in southern Spain next week and hope I won't find out if this works. Looked at some interesting "You Tube" videos on kevlar jeans. Jeans are very relaxed fit and should do well in Florida. Leather is a bit over the top for Florida riding except for the winter(45 degrees). Summer(90's) hot and humid. Fall and spring just warm(80's)

QUOTE (jaybird @ Jan 30 2008, 12:01 AM)

I am somewhat ashamed to admit that while I always wear my RevIt jacket, I generally wear just jeans when I'm taking a "casual" ride.

Ms. Luvtoride; with that kind of talk I'm tempted to simply ride around in my speedos....! :yahoo:

Well, that's all good an' everything... But unfortunately Tourmaster thinks that mesh pants need to be black. My experience is that black gear is fargin' hot in the midst of summer, even way up here in Cow Hampshire, so I'm thinking it would be unbearable in the really warm climes.

Someone should slap these gear manufacturers upside the head and let them know that these aren't snowboarding pants. Black ain't "all that" when the mercury shoot up over 90 F.

OH, and for what it's worth, those nylon mesh pants will disintegrate in a long slide too. Just hope the slide's not too long and the pads stay in place.

[Peter Sellers Voice]

I like to watch...

[/Peter Sellers Voice]
luvto, it doesn't take much to get this crowd goin', huh?

The word "spank" brings them like moths to a porch light. :blink:

I see you guys have the "left" and "right" knees covered, but what about the other two.......the hi-knee and the wee-knee???? :yahoo: :clapping: :rolleyes: :unsure:

If I plan to be riding "spiritedly" I wear armored pants. I was really happy to have that hip padding (and all the other CE armor) while roadside surfing in the Georgia mountains last year (just a few bruises on me and a few scratches on the SV650), landed more on the hip than on the knee. I used to occasionally wear Fox Racing kneepads under jeans or slacks when commuting, but I don't commute anymore (retired)...almost always wear an armored mesh or leather jacket but often with just regular jeans around town, armored mesh or leather pants in the twisties or touring. Not ATTGAT, but I've been lucky so far to have been wearing the right stuff when I needed it, especially the time I did a backwards flop downhill and whacked the back of my helmet really hard on the pavement...probably would have cracked my head open like an egg without the helmet. Pardon the digressions, the point I wanted to make is that I think hip padding is at least as important as knee padding.