Laminar Lip - **** 4 Stars!!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frisson

Reaction score
For those of you who suffer with passenger/self helmet turbulence - I HIGHLY recommend the Laminar Lip.

We have tried the stock and after market shields. They worked okay for me solo but she either always got alot of turbulence with the shield in the low position or I got a TON of back pressure with it in the up position.

We finally tried the lip and we are both VERY happy all the way past 90mph.

GREAT PRODUCT and SERVICE!

For reference:

(I have the stock seat in the up position, stock bar height and 5'11. Passenger is 5'6)

For those of you who suffer with passenger/self helmet turbulence - I HIGHLY recommend the Laminar Lip.

We have tried the stock and after market shields. They worked okay for me solo but she either always got alot of turbulence with the shield in the low position or I got a TON of back pressure with it in the up position.

For reference:

(I have the stock seat in the up position, stock bar height and 5'11. Passenger is 5'6)
Here is a pic of my Limnar lip dark smoke on a stock size CB dark smoke shield.

Memorialweekend2010006.jpg

I also love the Lip. It was the first thing I tried on the stock shield and loved it's function but didn't really like the look. So then I tried a few other shields and they worked ok but didn't work as good as the lip did. So after trying three different type shields I went back to a Limnar lip with stock size shield.

Eric

I sure like mine. It is mounted on an oversized Cal Sci window. If I am not riding in turbulence created by a car or truck in front of me, I get absolutely no turbulence or wind noise generated by my helmet, though I can hear the wind moaning through the cut out on the lower section of the Cal Sci. I can even hear my radar detector chirp, and can hear my tires on the pavement, while wearing earplugs.

please add me to the list who thinks the laminar lip on the oem shield is better than almost every after-market shield available.

I like mine to have it one inch above the stock shield. How far above is others installed?

Would like to hear if moving it up or down would improve or lessen the amount of turbulence when riding behind a car or truck.

I like mine to have it one inch above the stock shield. How far above is others installed?Would like to hear if moving it up or down would improve or lessen the amount of turbulence when riding behind a car or truck.

I don't believe you'll have much effect on turbulent air. You're dealing with a severely "dirty" airstream or airmass before it even gets to your bike. It's similar to wake vortices created by an aircraft in a slow and dirty configuration. Anything, even slippery airfoils, will be heavily effected by it.

For reference:

I also love the Lip. It was the first thing I tried on the stock shield and loved it's function but didn't really like the look. So then I tried a few other shields and they worked ok but didn't work as good as the lip did. So after trying three different type shields I went back to a Limnar lip with stock size shield.

Eric
Laminar Lip does not seem to sell anything else but a clear LL for the FJR. :dntknw: Did you tint yours yourself?

thx

A question for those of you that use the "lip". Do you still get clean air in the down position for when it is hot? Thanks for any info, Jerome

For reference:

Eric
Laminar Lip does not seem to sell anything else but a clear LL for the FJR. :dntknw: Did you tint yours yourself?

thx
https://www.amotostuff.com/Merchant2/mercha...ry_Code=fjr1300

I ordered mine thru this company. They listed clear and dark smoke. So I emailed them and asked if they could really get one in dark smoke because limnar didn't show dark smoke on there website. They emailed me back Yes. So I ordered it.I guess they just didn't update there website. But they do make them

Eric

A question for those of you that use the "lip". Do you still get clean air in the down position for when it is hot? Thanks for any info, Jerome
Jerome to answer your question Yes. You don't get as much air to your face with the lip versuses without the lip but you still get air with the windshield in the full down position.

Eric

+1 on the Laminar Lip. I have been riding with one since '04 and am very pleased. It got knocked of when I had an unscheduled get-off last fall and I rode home without it on. I had forgotten what a difference it made to the airflow. Thankfully, it only suffered minor scratches in the get-off and I re-attached it after I reworked the tupperware over the winter. It has definitely been one of the best farkle investments I have made.

I have heard that some people fund it fugly, but being a function over form kind of guy, I don't really care. Personally, I think they look kinda cool. YMMV of course.

I have a +4 +4 Cee Bailey's on my bike which I like a lot. In the down position it gives me nice smooth air right into my chest and the face shield of my Shoei 1000. In the full up position it gives me pretty good rain protection. I usually have it somewhere in between. However, when full up at freeway speeds I still get some buffeting and noise on the top of my helmet that can be annoying over long distances. Has anybody used one of these on a windshield this big?

I have a +4 +4 Cee Bailey's on my bike which I like a lot. In the down position it gives me nice smooth air right into my chest and the face shield of my Shoei 1000. In the full up position it gives me pretty good rain protection. I usually have it somewhere in between. However, when full up at freeway speeds I still get some buffeting and noise on the top of my helmet that can be annoying over long distances. Has anybody used one of these on a windshield this big?
I have the same shield and am about to try it. I'll report back.