Larger Windscreen or Not

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My setup is a Touring windshield with a Laminar Lip. No buffeting. Right now I am riding with the shield all the way down and I get clean air at my collarbone. I can raise it up part way and get a quiet pocket when it gets cooler. I am six foot tall with 34 inch inseam riding a stock seat and bars.

Question about the MRA spoiler: Does it make the shield shake and move around a lot on the highway?
Yes.

So much so that I worried about the integrity of the mounting, and I removed it.

On my Venture Royale the X-Creen was a very useful addition, but it didn't work on the FJR.

It did have a lot more shaking when it was on my stock shield, but it was significant less on the Touring shield. Not sure why... May be the Touring shield is thicker and therefore stiffer?

Fred, it did shake a little more with the spoiler than without, but just slightly and not overly so. As you could see, there is a gap between the spoiler and the windshield and I'm guessing the air that gets under did cancel out some of the added resistance.
Yes, it did shake around a bit more, which was a concern at first, most noticeably when just overtaking tractor-trailer rigs (interestingly, trailers with side skirts seem to noticeably reduce such turbulence). Adjusting the angle and height of the MRA screen has an impact on this behavior. With a bit of experimentation, found a setting that I was happy with - parallel with the windshield and 1-3/4" gap. Used the clamp-on kit in case I wanted to remove it at some point.

After the first few thousand miles, haven't given the initial concern further mind.

There is so much variation based on torso height, helmet, seating position, arm length.

I like stock fine at low settings to get above the turbulence...but loud as hell without something around the neck (Kilimanjaro jacket and RS-1 helmet is ok). V stream can be quiet...but only good for me almost down because of back pressure at high settings...but its quiet.

I have a +5/+4 Rifle which gets here next week. I'm using my tripod, a string and taking measurements. Looking closely the stock is actually sloped to curve back. Vstream is more upright...combined with up position makes a gnarly back pressure if you sit back (longer arms). Hoping the Rifle gets me more air flow low and less/no back pressure at higher settings.

Looking at others pics and the angle...I am optimistic. Better work given the higher $$.

Well, I hear folks post what I thought was hyperbole when they find the right windshield....wow they are not kidding.

The Rifle is a game changer for me, I honestly can't even believe it. So much better than I could have expected - it is quieter at any speed, I can get a dead still pocket with ease. Even all the way down - it is smooth, so much less noise, no buffeting at all.

What surprised me is the effectiveness of the design. I got the +5h/+4w and I am questioning if I should have gotten the +3/4 instead. I have no use for the upper half of the range. The combo of deep curve and angle bracket is truly a transformation. There is NO WAY a bike could get any quieter with a fairing. I've owned multiple bikes and the only way the noise was down was when you were well outside the effective area, like standing up, or sitting straight up on an R1 (I have very long arms and 6'3"). Rifle is quieter. With ear plugs in I can hear myself breath through my nose...at least up to 70mph....this is crazy!

At its lowest it it 1" taller than than the Vstream and a couple inches "back" which surprised me. I thought it might be lower due to the angle, but the brackets move the whole thing up. Vstream is about 3.5" over stock and I felt like it needed to be a bit higher to work correctly for me (but then I would get back pressure). I thought going to a +5 would be perfect...but I don't really need it. I could have used a +3 and had it way better than the Vstream.

Is it all roses? nope. In some ways it looks better than the vstream when viewed from off the bike. I have the light tint and it looks pretty nice. However sitting on the bike and looking down at the brackets...does not look good.

If my shoulder vents on my Kilimanjaro jacket can catch the breeze (need to test tomorrow) I don't know that I will ever take off this shield. I have an 8-10 day ride coming up and I might even adjust it now to ride more freeway just because it won't be painful (I would get too much noise and some higher freq buzz type turbulence at 70mph+ before).

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I hear folks post what I thought was hyperbole when they find the right windshield....wow they are not kidding.
The Rifle is a game changer for me, I honestly can't even believe it. So much better than I could have expected - it is quieter at any speed, I can get a dead still pocket with ease. Even all the way down - it is smooth, so much less noise, no buffeting at all.

What surprised me is the effectiveness of the design. I got the +5h/+4w and I am questioning if I should have gotten the +3/4 instead. I have no use for the upper half of the range. The combo of deep curve and angle bracket is truly a transformation. There is NO WAY a bike could get any quieter with a fairing. I've owned multiple bikes and the only way the noise was down was when you were well outside the effective area, like standing up, or sitting straight up on an R1 (I have very long arms and 6'3"). Rifle is quieter. With ear plugs in I can hear myself breath through my nose...at least up to 70mph....this is crazy!

At its lowest it it 1" taller than than the Vstream and a couple inches "back" which surprised me. I thought it might be lower due to the angle, but the brackets move the whole thing up. Vstream is about 3.5" over stock and I felt like it needed to be a bit higher to work correctly for me (but then I would get back pressure). I thought going to a +5 would be perfect...but I don't really need it. I could have used a +3 and had it way better than the Vstream.

Is it all roses? nope. In some ways it looks better than the vstream when viewed from off the bike. I have the light tint and it looks pretty nice. However sitting on the bike and looking down at the brackets...does not look good.

If my shoulder vents on my Kilimanjaro jacket can catch the breeze (need to test tomorrow) I don't know that I will ever take off this shield. I have an 8-10 day ride coming up and I might even adjust it now to ride more freeway just because it won't be painful (I would get too much noise and some higher freq buzz type turbulence at 70mph+ before).
Had one on my 08, these things are like a barn door. Looking from the drivers point of view I went to a hardware store and got little rubber ends that cover the bracket bolt ends, they might have been called screw savers, made it look much better. Also after a few miles at speed it is a good idea to check the nylon screws for loosening once and a while.