Launching the FJR off the Dragon !!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SR-71

The TN speed limit on the Dragon is 30mph, most of the summer the Dragon has seen 10+ police patrolling to stop the lawlessness (Tailofthedragon.com). It is a great area to go ride you just need to be careful and usually best to make the first run at a more casual pace. I was there twice this year and the second time during the Honda Hoot a sportbike crossed the centerline and took out 2 coming the other way. For pics of riders on the Dragon go to Killboy.com and get your fix look back a couple of weeks and you will see one of the Forum members dragging his pipes leaned over.

I've been there twice on a Monday and have not seen a LEO. I've been told to stay away from there on weekends when every manner of crazy is out :blink: :blink:

100_2470.jpg
DragonsTail032.jpg

Glad you're ok Mike. Sounds like quite an experience, and one you probably don't need to repeat! That's amazing your FJR didn't sustain more damage. If you get a chance post some pictures of it.
Can someone fill me in on the Dragon? I've never been there, but have heard a lot about it and have been thinking about riding out there soon. I would think as famous (or imfamous) as the Dragon has become, the cops would be tolling this route with a magnifying glass. No? Or is the posted speed limit set high enough to where the twisty road conditions just make the route a fun run?

SR-71
The pictures are a before and a somewhat after!!!!! :unsure: Thats if I loaded them correctly......

Tuesday after Labor Day(and Superbike weekend at Road Atlanta) I followed 2 matching Harley Baggers up the Dragon headed home. I was sure the guy leading knew the road well but his buddy was having a BAD time so I just sat back and stayed away from him and rode a slower pace then I wanted but had a good ride. When we came to the end of the real twisty stuff the lead guy was sitting over at and pull off and his friend pulled in letting me go SOOOO I gave her a little and went on my way.I was just curising looking at the water and enjoying myself when I rounded a corner and there he was...I saw his break lights in the mirror then his top lights so I just pulled over and stopped and waited for him. Nice young Sheriff told me he'd clocked me at 62mph in a 40mph zone was there any reason I was going this fast, I told him NO I was just riding home and enjoying the scenery. To make a long story short, the Officer checked my regs, ins and license and then went back to his car. He came out 5 minutes later and gave me a warning(written) told me the speed limit went up to 50mph 2 miles down the road watch my speed and be careful. Before I made that 2 miles I saw another sheriff and 5 miles more another so just know if your going to the Dragon Blount County Tn. is looking at you HOT&HEAVY. I think I was lucky cause I stopped and waited and I got the grey beard thing going... Be Careful on the TN. side.

I'm glad you're OK and things worked out as well as they could - good lesson here.

I'm posting this for two reasons; To show how durable the FJR is & to tell you how awesome the other riders and the the owner at the Deals Gap Resort really is !!! Last Monday with two friends we rode about 250 miles all over the Tennesee and N.C. area. At 6:45 pm we were at SR 129 ( The Dragon). We were pushing way too hard to get back to camp when I ran wide on a turn about 4 miles in. I ran off the road and had no choice but to lock both brakes before going over the edge.
I don't want to rain on your self pity parade, but there is ALWAYS another choice to locking up both brakes.

You might want to enroll in some sort of INSTRUCTION where the teach you HOW TO RIDE.

Other than that: TUP.

I've been there twice on a Monday and have not seen a LEO. I've been told to stay away from there on weekends when every manner of crazy is out :blink: :blink:
i've been there every year since 2001, the most annoying thing is either the loud cruisers who head north from the COT or getting behind someone really slow. no need to fear the weekends, they're not that bad. crowded, but it ain't like the o.k. corral or the daytona 500.

I'm posting this for two reasons; To show how durable the FJR is & to tell you how awesome the other riders and the the owner at the Deals Gap Resort really is !!! Last Monday with two friends we rode about 250 miles all over the Tennesee and N.C. area. At 6:45 pm we were at SR 129 ( The Dragon). We were pushing way too hard to get back to camp when I ran wide on a turn about 4 miles in. I ran off the road and had no choice but to lock both brakes before going over the edge.
I don't want to rain on your self pity parade, but there is ALWAYS another choice to locking up both brakes.

You might want to enroll in some sort of INSTRUCTION where the teach you HOW TO RIDE.

Why on earth would you bust a guys chops after wrecking his bike. I agree, more experience and training is always good. But save it for another time. Start a thread on it, or refer to one of the MANY on it.

But dont kick a guy when he is down

Why on earth would you bust a guys chops after wrecking his bike. I agree, more experience and training is always good. But save it for another time. Start a thread on it, or refer to one of the MANY on it.

But dont kick a guy when he is down
Yup, you are right.

Fred W
Wow

Your response was unexpected. I have some respect for the kind of person you must be.

Peace, Out

Cdog
Thanks, Cdog, but I don't really deserve it.

I left that prior post when I was feeling a bit "too good". I should know better than to post after having a couple of martinis. I let the thought that the guy felt that he "had to" lock his brakes in a panic situation overcome my compassion for his having wrecked his beautiful bike.

That's not really the kind of guy that I am.

I shall try to do better...

Last edited by a moderator:
Fred W
Wow

Your response was unexpected. I have some respect for the kind of person you must be.

Peace, Out

Cdog
Thanks, Cdog, but I don't really deserve it.

I left that prior post when I was feeling a bit "too good". I should know better than to post after having a couple of martinis. I let the thought that the guy felt that he "had to" lock his brakes in a panic situation overcome my compassion for his having wrecked his beautiful bike.

That's not really the kind of guy that I am.

I shall try to do better...
See, this is what I'm talking about, just good folks that know how to treat each other. Everyone makes a mistake, and when given a chance will correct it Great Job Fred :clapping:

Hey I post after a couple scoth and waters all the time... You can tell by the amount of typos I make just how happy I am

hmmm!red red wine! UB40 on my mind!No doubt the FRJ is durable and tree climbing in the Gap is most doable even if you didnt intend to!