Leak, but from where?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems pretty weird that it would just start up out of nowhere... 2500 miles, not a speck, then boom, it startsup and continues. AFAIK, nothing was done by the dealer that included regreasing the splines, etc, when

oil/rear fluids changed (dealer threw in a couple of these at purchase). I appreciate all the input, I'm leaning

towards the seal. Still don't know why one of the plugs appears to be missing from the underside of the arm

housing.
Here's my guess ...

The tech did not use official Yamaha spec rear differential oil. He just grabbed a bottle of whatever/close-enough and put it in.

Sounds crazy, I know, but that is what I did with my first rear differential oil change on my 08 FJR and I got the exact same leak/spray pattern.

Took it to the dealer complaining about faulty seals, confessed that I used an alternative, they re-did the change using official Yamaha spec rear differential oil, 15 minutes later I was on my way and it never happened again.

Close but wrong viscosity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks again guys for all the input, and amusement from certain court jesters. It's going in to the dealer today,

and, based on what seems to be the consensus here, I can let go of the 'what if the rear end explodes whilst doing 80mph' thoughts. It's Yamaha's problem now.

I"ll get the skinny later today. The tech that peeked at it yesterday while signing into the svc dept is pretty sure it's the inner seal.

MadMike said it best.
Anybody else find it rather disturbing that Carver agrees with one of questionable mental health? Who also agrees with a known short bus pilot?

This place is going to hell in'a hand basket.. :blink:

:jester:
I COMPLETELY agree with Barry on this one. :thumbsup: :fuck:
Like, we're so totally shocked......like it'd be a gigantic mystery that one of the twins (Barry + Howie=bookends) agrees with the other....like...we're sooooo amazed. :rolleyes:
Yer jes jealous that I agreed first, ya grumpy old fart!

Whassamatter...didjer old lady hide yer Depends again?

I'll post photos later, but I had horrible leakage on my final drive and wheel after the trip to NAFO. Freaked me out. I am 99% sure it's the same seal.
Yeah, I agree. Probably would have leaked after the trip to WFO too. Ya know - the actual trip you just went on.

:fuck:

(for those watching....we actually love each other......in a manly way...and correct each other's minor mistakes in threads)

Sorry to interrupt the love fest here... got the bike back, Bluesman is the winner. Waaaay too much grease in the splines. Although

I'm wondering now about good ol' Yam QC on the line. The factory was the last to touch anything back there.

Oh well, problem solved and I learned somethin'.

I'm wondering now about good ol' Yam QC on the line. The factory was the last to touch anything back there.
Thanks for the up-date....

You may want to try to research a little further? -- MamaYama (and, Japanese factories in general) are notoriously stingy with grease (historically). Usually, the complaint is that not enough grease was used.

I seroiusly doubt that your FJR came from the factory with too much grease on the drive-splines (or anywhere..?).

But, all we know is what they tell us.... :blink: :eek: :(

Last edited by a moderator: