Leakless tires

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's wild. I hate the Goo you put into the tires, that's a mess.

You know what would be fun, taking a nail gun and having target practice on tires treated with that stuff. Wooohooo! ;)

They make some impressive claims on their website rhinotire.com:

"RHINO TIRE

Rhinotire is a revolutionary and unique technology formulated to prevent flats in pneumatic tires caused by punctures from nails or any other sharp objects.

Benefits of RHINOTIRE:

In addition to better handling, better fuel economy, longer lasting tires and safer ride, you will also experience other benefits.

The Rhinotire System:

- Makes tires resistant to flats by reducing tire-related road failures by 85 to 90%

- Eliminates expense and hassle from premature tire failure

- Reduces labor and equipment down time

- Reduces tire noise by 30%

- Increases tire life by 25% or more (through air pressure maintenance)

- Results in better fuel economy

- Maintains set-point tire air pressure 3 to 4 times longer

- Saves Time! You will no longer have to worry about delays, down time or a trip to the repair shop

- Saves aggravation and frustration. You won’t have to waste time on the side of a dangerous highway, or at night in unfamiliar surroundings.

- Extends tire life by lowering tire operating temperature. Heat caused by friction and amplified by under-inflation is one of the primary causes of tire failure. As tire temperature increases, the rate of oxidation and subsequent polymerization results in stiffness and increased chemical degradation of the tire. RHINOTIRE coats the inner surface of a tire with a layer that absorbs heat from the tread surface and conducts it to the thinner sidewalls which can dissipate it more effectively."

Sounds too good to be true..............

*EDIT*

More digging brought a window of tires pre-treated with their "stuff" with prices here: Rhinotire price list

Last edited by a moderator:
I live about 20mi from them, they are in Sunnyside NY. They have Motorcycle tire prices on their web site but I'm not sure if that includes treatment. ( I would hope so their prices are high) I'm gonna call them and find out the info. I use Ride-ON now and it has saved me a couple of times but I don't think it would work riding over hundreds of nails...LOL

I live about 20mi from them, they are in Sunnyside NY. They have Motorcycle tire prices on their web site but I'm not sure if that includes treatment. ( I would hope so their prices are high) I'm gonna call them and find out the info. I use Ride-ON now and it has saved me a couple of times but I don't think it would work riding over hundreds of nails...LOL
FLHX, thanks for the offer to check out Rhinotire.com i am quite interested in learning more.

Since you mentioned the Ride-ON product could you pls elaborate on any down sides you personally have experienced with it, if any, e.g. vibrations, noise, etc. I know they claim not to cause any of this but there's nothing better than a reveiw from an actual unbiased user. Also the Ride-ON site states that you should not re-balance the tire after the Ride-ON compound is installed, i am wondering what would happen if you "threw" a weight requiring a rebalance :rolleyes: would need to start from the beginning right?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everybody !! I have been in the tire additive business for 19 years now and 12 years before that in the tire business. Don't use these puncture sealants as any type of permenent repair. Besides you only have two tires treat them as the manufacture wants you too. If anybody has specfic questions please let me know. There is a place for these TEMPORARY repair additives but it's not in your motorcycle tires.

Morry

Everybody !! I have been in the tire additive business for 19 years now and 12 years before that in the tire business. Don't use these puncture sealants as any type of permenent repair. Besides you only have two tires treat them as the manufacture wants you too. If anybody has specfic questions please let me know. There is a place for these TEMPORARY repair additives but it's not in your motorcycle tires.
Morry
With all due respect there Morry, I have been using Ride On for YEARS without any problems. You will have to be more specific to what your reasons are against these TEMPPRARY fixes...(yes I know they are not permenent repairs)

Your post comes off exactly like what I would expect to hear from a tire salesman...warnings with no solid reasons...

KM

I've been using Ride On for five years in all three of my motorcycles. I've had my FJR over 130mph dozens of times and have gone to 150mph a few times with NEVER any vibration problems at all. If you threw a weight on one of your tires you would just rebalance it as you would any other tire. Also having three bikes somestimes one may sit for a few weeks at a time and when riding for the first time I have never had a vibration issue even though the Ride On says it might vibrate for a mile or so till it spreads around..One more thing. At Americade a few years ago I purchased new Metzlers at the show. I told the Metzler people there before they mounted my tires that I had Ride On in there (I wanted the installer to be aware) and he said the Ride ON is the ONLY tire sealant to use.

Alex from Rhinotire answered my email early this morning and stated that the prices on his web site do include the Rhino treatment and I'm welcome to come down there myself and pick up the tires and save on the shipping.

I've been using Ride On for five years in all three of my motorcycles. I've had my FJR over 130mph dozens of times and have gone to 150mph a few times with NEVER any vibration problems at all. If you threw a weight on one of your tires you would just rebalance it as you would any other tire. Also having three bikes somestimes one may sit for a few weeks at a time and when riding for the first time I have never had a vibration issue even though the Ride On says it might vibrate for a mile or so till it spreads around..One more thing. At Americade a few years ago I purchased new Metzlers at the show. I told the Metzler people there before they mounted my tires that I had Ride On in there (I wanted the installer to be aware) and he said the Ride ON is the ONLY tire sealant to use.Alex from Rhinotire answered my email early this morning and stated that the prices on his web site do include the Rhino treatment and I'm welcome to come down there myself and pick up the tires and save on the shipping.
thx for the update.

i was about to order the Ride-On Tire Sealant for Motorcycles - Kit when i looked at the prices for the cage kits - noticeably cheaper for more quantity. this may be a stupid question, but is there/would there be any difference b/w the car kit composition and the MC composition of Ride-ON?

As I thought, I hit a few nerves... Puncture sealants ARE temporary fixes (as one of you said) The major problem with adding them to the air chamber is once you do who's responsible? If the puncture sealant fails and you crash will the puncture sealant manufacture take care of the medical bills? How many of you have had one of your tires blow out for no reason? How many of you run puncture sealants and don't know you have a flat? Have there been any wheels that have cracked and the puncture sealant hid the crack until it's so bad the wheel lets go instead of just loosing air normally. I can come up with dozens of situations that should make you be very cautious what you actually put in your tires and for what application. Puncture sealants have applications but on motorcycles not from my standpoint. If the tire additive manufacture says his product should be put in everything from aircraft to giant mining tires then they are dead wrong and they just want to sell there stuff without any regard to proper application. Will the tire manufacturer still warrenty the motorcycle tire with Ride On or any other puncture sealant? I doubt it. Do they have a reccomendation from the tire manufacturer? Anyway with everybody suing everybody these days it seems before we decide to put ourselves and others in harms way we should look at more then just what the manufacturer has claimed and challange them to produce the evidence of there claims. Look at the claims of rhino tire, do you all really think this is all true?? See there disclaimer below.

Limitation of Liability

RHINOTIRE's LIABILITY FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE ARISING OUT OF OR RESULTING FROM AND BREACH OR DEFAULT BY RHINOTIRE IN CONNECTION WITH THE SALE OF GOODS HEREUNDER SHALL NOT EXCEED THE PURCHASE PRICE THEREOF, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER SUCH LIABILITY ARISES IN CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION NEGLIGENCE OR STRICT LIABILITY), OR OTHERWISE, AND IN NO EVENT SHALL RHINOTIRE BE LIABLE FOR INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY KIND. RHINOTIRE WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR PRODUCTS OR SERVICES NOT BEING AVAILABLE FOR USE. FOR THE PURCHASE(S) UNDER THIS AGREEMENT. NO REPRESENTATIVE OF RHINOTIREIS AUTHORIZED TO MODIFY THIS SECTION OR TO ISSUE ANY WARRANTY REGARDING GOODS DELIVERED HEREUNDER ON BEHALF OF RHINOTIRE. CUSTOMER AGREES THAT ANY CIVIL ACTION AGAINST RHINOTIRE RELATING TO OR ARISING OUT OF THE SALE OF GOODS HEREUNDER SHALL BE COMMENCED WITHIN ONE (1) YEAR OF THE DATE THE CAUSE OF ACTION OCCURED; OTHERWISE IT SHALL BE BARRED.

I read this as "Use at your own risk" I bet Ride On is the same. Sorry about the bla....bla... but that's what this forum is about!!

Thanks Morry

Jamesk - Yes the fomula for Ride On is diffrent for motorcycles. Can't remember what I was told but do remember that you should not use car formula in bikes.

Morry, although I do respect your opinion, I believe a tire sealant like Ride On makes more sence to use in a motorcycle than anything else.

If a tire starts to leak on a bike, and the rider does not notice it quickly, he or she could easily get hurt or killed.

In a car , you have 3 other tires to take the strain and you can't fall over.

Lawsuits or not , I feel safer with Ride On in my FJR tires. I think you would have a hard time finding any cases where a tire sealant actualy caused a crash...(more than likely the other way)

Liquid tire sealants stay in the tire (do to the spinning wheel if anything) so masking a cracked wheel is just silly.

And other than the few folks that inflate their tires with too much air...lol.. Motorcycle tires tend not to "blow out" , but can lose air rapidly if punctured. So an in tire puncture sealant makes alot of sense, as time can be critical.

In these days with everyone suing everyone, it is not surprising to see complex disclaimers on just about any product. Think about some ass that has his tire slashed by a jealous idiot that then tries to sue Ride On because it did not seal the rather large wound.

Stop being paranoid about lawsuits and do shit that could save your life - even if it is not reccomended by your tire company.

KM

EUREKA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!EUREKA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE FUTURE HAS ARRIVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE FUTURE HAS ARRIVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would really like to try this but damn almost $400 for a set of Metzeler tires. Now if they also double the life of the tires than I would really think that the future has arrived! :D

I respect your passion, and I will agree to disagree as there are many more reasons to support my conclusion but as with some so passionate about a product no amount of reasons will change the mind. Ride safe and hopefully this post will spark questions in others before they drop there AAA membership. One last parting comment, with 32 years of seeing tire additive companies damage life and property I may be a little onesided. Maybe there really is a perfect tire sealant that every tire should have in it.

Thanks for listening!!

Morry

Other than the price tag, I can't see what the downside of this stuff is. I'm skeptical. There must be a downside somewhere. It is Gel that is sprayed onto the inner surface of the tire and so is not shifting around. That's good. Maybe it will effect the heating of the tire carcass?

As soon as I see something like this I have to ask myself: Why have the tire manufacturing companies not come out with such a product. Surely they have superior resources in R&D and would like their tires to be safer and also be able to command a higher price for them?

All I know is that I'm so passionate about the product that I'm not willing to listen to reason.

All I know is that I'm so passionate about the product that I'm not willing to listen to reason.

Well, I'm still waiting to hear those reasons. I do know that many think all the "tire sealants" on the market are all the same, and most of the complaints I have heard about them could be traced to SLIME or Tire Goo and not Ride On.

I am always ready to hear solid evidence for either side. The Rhinotire stuff does look intriguing, and can't really see any problems using a tire treated with their stuff.

Morrys question that "how would you know you have a flat?" does bring up good point, but not sure I'd call a tire flat if it ain't leaking air. Most owners on this forum are savy experianced riders and I would think that they do on some kind of periodic schedual examine their tires. But a tire that can't leak brings up a need for new thinking here.

Case in point, a buddy took his Goldwing in to get new tires. He told the service guy that he had Ride On in them. No problems they say.

When he comes back to pick up the bike, the service guy pulls out his old tire and show him , from the inside, that he had a rather large nail in the tire. From the outside , you would have had a hard time seeing the tiny hole, but there was a a good 2 inches of nail sticking out from the inside.

The tire held air and got worn down to the point that required new tires...my buddy had no clue about the nail , but had no problems..

So , I ask, what does it matter then? If he found the hole he might have used a plug , as even he understood that Ride On was not to be considered a permenent fix. But he rode the bike till the tire needed changing, and all the while the sealant kept the tire from leaking air.

I would howver not want to ride that test bike seen in the Rhino video. That many punctures in one tire...would have to take a toll on the tire cords you would think.

KM