LED Driving lights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have some time on your hands there's a 100 page thread on Adventure Rider about these lights. They look exactly like the RealTime lights. I've a pair and like all LED they "shotgun" the light beam spread. They are bright litle units, just don't expect a focused beam spread.

After a years use I've had one go out last week, not sure if I'll mount them on the forks next time, maybe that caused the unit to blow out, maybe not ? There's a small circuit board inside the lights and I think the boards blown.LED thread

I just spent the good portion of this weekend - and yes for a electrical putz like myself it takes almost a whole weekend - installing the 1800 LEDs that were offered on Alex's thread. One word - WOW!

Bear in mind though these are the first auxillary lights I have ever ridden with. But my gosh, I just went for a test nighttime ride with them. How the heck did I ever get by with just stock lights in the past. Time and money (even my financial manager a.k.a. wife would agree) well worth spent.

Obviuously how they hold up only time will tell. But they do seem to be built quite well.

Mike

As a side note, I mounted mine on self made brackets by the mirrors. I thought the higher mount would project better.

Has anyone tried the LED driving lights & mount from Real Time Industries? They look nice & are inexpensive.
I'm another FNG with the same interest. A simple search will yield some great info. Do an advanced search with "Lights" as your search word. Topic titles only. I found all the info I wanted.

If you have some time on your hands there's a 100 page thread on Adventure Rider about these lights. They look exactly like the RealTime lights. I've a pair and like all LED they "shotgun" the light beam spread. They are bright litle units, just don't expect a focused beam spread.After a years use I've had one go out last week, not sure if I'll mount them on the forks next time, maybe that caused the unit to blow out, maybe not ? There's a small circuit board inside the lights and I think the boards blown.LED thread
After about one day's use. I had one of the fork mounted lights go out. I had the 550 Lm light from Alex. Same problem as HIGHLANDER. The small circuit board inside the light is blown.

I too was thinking of these as an option due to their lower cost. But with guys having problems it has me rethinking. Does anyone have a solution to increase the longevity on these lights? I seen earlier post with issues due to moisture too. Any good dimmer switches to pair with these?

I had one side of these lights (the 1500 model) go out on mine after a year of use; same problem. Mine were fork-mounted. I didn't bother getting a replacement, took them off instead.

I might try these next time: https://mondomotos.com/led/mm10

Unless I win the lottery, in which case I'll go for the Clearwaters.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the 1500 mounted to my forks & am very happy with them.
Well I've bought them and will install them soon, I found price and the way they're build give you the biggest bang for your buck you spend! I, like zom, plan to install them to the holding points of the front fender. Think you can't go wrong with them. Sure you've got ere lots of treads with super cool aux lights, yet I'm weary to spend like $400 - $500 for a set.

I also liked that they're present here at the forum.

V

RPK

I had one side of these lights (the 1500 model) go out on mine after a year of use; same problem. Mine were fork-mounted. I didn't bother getting a replacement, took them off instead.
I might try these next time: https://mondomotos.com/led/mm10

Unless I win the lottery, in which case I'll go for the Clearwaters.
Jeff Q bought them for his new Concourse from Alex...1 went out within a few months...Alex replaced it...then the other went out a few months later...eventually Alex replaced it after a few emails...Alex stands behind his merchandise and is overall very accessible.

I hate to think you mostly get what you pay for lesson here...

It's all in the mounting point.. Though not the same as a filament based bulb, vibration is a motherfuker on stuff.

Ain't a light around gonna live long on a fork leg.

I had a very cheap Chinese set of LEDS on my old truck that went 3 years without issue-and might in fact still be workin, I dunno I sold it last fall.

The first set were mounted pretty solid to the frame and died 2 months in. The replacements were bumper mounted with rubber grommets and held up the 3 years ..

So......................

Don't be dumb..Quell the vibes.. It ain't a dilldo

I bought the 550 Lm a short time ago from Alex. They are fork mounted and so far, so good. I am concerned about the mounting on the unsprung part of the bike. So, if these don't last, reluctantly, it's on the mirrors they will go.

What I was disappointed about is that this one light went out after ONE DAY's riding to the coast and back. No rain, no goat trails and it was gone 3/4th of the way into the ride. That sucked!

I agree you do get what you pay for and I realize mounting on forks probably not a best option, but I did have it double rubber grommet mounted to reduce the vibrations a tiny fraction at least and for the price paid I expected it to last more than ONE DAY!!

For fork mounting applications it would make sense to go with lights that have vibration and water resistance ratings such as the Mondos.

• IP rating IP-68 (dust-proof and submersible in water up to 3 meters)
  • Vibration rating 15.6G

Jeff Q bought them for his new Concourse from Alex...1 went out within a few months...Alex replaced it...then the other went out a fthew months later...eventually Alex replaced it after a few emails...Alex stands behind his merchandise and is overall very accessible.

I hate to think you mostly get what you pay for lesson here...
these are mounted on the mirrors

had two lights fail on the forks. Moved them to mirror mounts, and going well.

...has anyone mounted light's to the Cayon cage,set up yet ? Would like to see some picture's of that ..If it's all about the mounting point's, there sould be plenty of tubing to use ,for bracket's ,or some other mount. maybe some welding involed,,......but ... is it better to mount to frame, or The fork"s, that would help assorb some of the vibrasoins...

Alex is stepping up and replacing the dead light on the fork. Just mailed it back to him, probably 2-3 weeks for a replacement. If the lights go out again on the fork. I will replace them with Mondolights.

I already have lights mounted on the mirrors. I don't usually run them except as high beam supplements. That's why I mounted lights on the forks - purely for visibility purposes.

Does anyone know what is the Lumen rating for the Mondo lights? I am thinking 1000 Lumens rough approximate for being a 60W Halogen equivalent.