LED Light up your engines!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never understood these things, so I suppose it's a matter of taste.
If any of my friends ever see anything like this on my bike, please help me find and kill the person responsible.

If anyone hears me talking about putting these on the bike, stop letting people give me beer.
Wow! People give you beer?
lmaosmiley.gif

Yeah, right after he gives them money. Happens pretty frequently in these parts. ;)

I've always understood these were illegal while riding, but I just did a search and found laws are far from clear and simple to understand, and that they vary a LOT from state to state, and I imagine that's true in Canada as well. Many restrictions seem to apply specifically to red, white, or blue lights, too, as well as to what direction(s) they can be seen from, whether they shine steadily or flash or strobe, even whether they're LED or neon, and other variables. Like I said, not simple. Be sure to check on your region's rules...
No need to check the laws. If there is something wrong with the color, view direction or even being present any law officer will be willing to discuss it with you and point out what is not allowed. The only down side is their advice usually comes with an associated fee. Best have an ON/OFF switch on the lights so you will be allowed to ride the bike home.
All... At this point in my life, I couldn't really care what the law says for something as unimportant as this. I believe the lights help the bike stand out at night and up the safety factor. I did install an On/Off switch in the dash though. ;-)

Does it help pick up chicks?? That's what I wanna know before spending the coin...
Not sure as I have only been out twice at night so far, but I can tell you my GF loves it! She likes the bling factor. As for the coin... If you are handy and understand the basics of your bikes electronics, you can do this for approximately $50-$75 Canadian. What's that is US funds... $20-$30 bucks? LOL

How about this next:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/TRON-Style-Motorcycle-Wheel-Rim-Light-Kit-better-than-rim-tape-AQUA-/330709767249
Dude... Seriously? I have seen many vehicals tricked out with all kinds of multicolor, flashing, dimming lights inside, outside, underneath, etc. There are limits and I think mine fall in the cool look category... Nothing overdone. Beside, I have never been a Tron fan... Original or remake! Thanks for the link though... I think?

I've always understood these were illegal while riding, but I just did a search and found laws are far from clear and simple to understand, and that they vary a LOT from state to state, and I imagine that's true in Canada as well. Many restrictions seem to apply specifically to red, white, or blue lights, too, as well as to what direction(s) they can be seen from, whether they shine steadily or flash or strobe, even whether they're LED or neon, and other variables. Like I said, not simple. Be sure to check on your region's rules...
No need to check the laws. If there is something wrong with the color, view direction or even being present any law officer will be willing to discuss it with you and point out what is not allowed. The only down side is their advice usually comes with an associated fee. Best have an ON/OFF switch on the lights so you will be allowed to ride the bike home.
Was at a Tim Hortons and saw a police officer drive in... Showed him a picture of my ride with the lights and asked the question if legal or not... Although he wasn't 100% sure, he said that if you can't see the blue lights from the front It should be fine... So I will ride with them and see if I encounter or have problems with an officer frustrated with life. ;-)

Was at a Tim Hortons and saw a police officer drive in... Showed him a picture of my ride with the lights and asked the question if legal or not... Although he wasn't 100% sure, he said that if you can't see the blue lights from the front It should be fine... So I will ride with them and see if I encounter or have problems with an officer frustrated with life. ;-)
Hey bro, l'm 49 and I have white LED lights that highlight different areas of my bike and I love them. I don't use the blinking pattern when I ride and I adjust the glow so that the bike doesn't draw unnecessary attention from the man at night! I guess some of the folks on the forum have never gone to biker events like the Americade; the LED accent lights we have on our bikes don't even come close to what those senior citizens have on their Goldwings!

Hey bro, l'm 49 and I have white LED lights that highlight different areas of my bike and I love them. I don't use the blinking pattern when I ride and I adjust the glow so that the bike doesn't draw unnecessary attention from the man at night! I guess some of the folks on the forum have never gone to biker events like the Americade; the LED accent lights we have on our bikes don't even come close to what those senior citizens have on their Goldwings!
LOL... too true. Some of these old geezers have lights and trinkets that would make them be identified as UFOs if bikes could fly!

Side note: Spoke to another police officer in another city today and asked the same question and his response was, “as long as it isn’t forward or backward facing or blinks or spins your fine”. So I guess I will be good to go. Cheers

To each his own. I have LED's on my 2006 Warrior and get nothing but compliments from numerous other riders.

It's just another way we can customize our bikes and I don't get the hate.

LED's, wow been installing them on all my bikes.

Joe Florida has some really solid kits with easy instructions.

I have installed many kits for some of my cruiser buddies.

Actually will be installing some on my wifes' new Vulcan Vaquero she picked up this weekend.

For me, it's added safety and being seen...and a little bling.

To each his own. I have LED's on my 2006 Warrior and get nothing but compliments from numerous other riders.It's just another way we can customize our bikes and I don't get the hate.
Let me see if I can explain the phenomenon:

First off, it's not hate for the owner, just the mod. You would get the same response if you put a bunch of chrome accessories on your FJR. This is because sport touring type bikes are the antithesis of cruiser type bikes. On cruisers it is SOP to put a bunch of aestheticly pleasing baubles on your bike that have no real functionality.

You can say that these LEDS increase your night-time conspicuousness, but I don't think many folks are buying that. There are certainly much more effective ways to accomplish that goal, like a few square feet of retro-reflective decals, but those certainly don't have the same bling factor.

So that's the reason for the negative comments: FJR Riders are the anti-pirates. Bling just ain't our thing.
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never understood these things, so I suppose it's a matter of taste.
If any of my friends ever see anything like this on my bike, please help me find and kill the person responsible.

If anyone hears me talking about putting these on the bike, stop letting people give me beer.
Plus........ You'd have to wash it too! I don't see that happening. :))

To each his own. I have LED's on my 2006 Warrior and get nothing but compliments from numerous other riders.

It's just another way we can customize our bikes and I don't get the hate.
Let me see if I can explain the phenomenon:

First off, it's not hate for the owner, just the mod. You would get the same response if you put a bunch of chrome accessories on your FJR. This is because sport touring type bikes are the antithesis of cruiser type bikes. On cruisers it is SOP to put a bunch of aestheticly pleasing baubles on your bike that have no real functionality.

You can say that these LEDS increase your night-time conspicuousness, but I don't think many folks are buying that. There are certainly much more effective ways to accomplish that goal, like a few square feet of retro-reflective decals, but those certainly don't have the same bling factor.

So that's the reason for the negative comments: FJR Riders are the anti-pirates. Bling just ain't our thing.
wink.png
Placing retro reflective decals on my shiny black FJR!? I think not! No, bling just ain't your thing and the LED's can be helpful if used appropriately IMO. What also doesn't look cool is those fog-horn size auxillary lights some of the folks install on their bikes. They should be ticketed for blinding the daylights out of drivers that think a freight train is on their tail. Not looking to start a fight here but as one already said...to each their own.

Placing retro reflective decals on my shiny black FJR!? I think not! No, bling just ain't your thing and the LED's can be helpful if used appropriately IMO. What also doesn't look cool is those fog-horn size auxillary lights some of the folks install on their bikes. They should be ticketed for blinding the daylights out of drivers that think a freight train is on their tail. Not looking to start a fight here but as one already said...to each their own.

And therein lies the crux of the biscuit. You are worried about how it looks. These others are worried about how it works. Form over function, or function over form. An age old conversation.

There is no right answer, and I would never start a fight over anything as trivial as this. To each their own is absolutely right. Just don't get all verklempt when someone rains on your neon colored parade!

I mean, if you listened to the (immoral) majority of US bikers we're all a bunch of ferkin' tards for not riding the one true motorcycle, from the Wisconsin motor company of course.
wink.png