LED Replacement Lamps for Tail, Brake and Turn Signals

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riona

Reaction score
Spurred on by my success in getting my Sena working, I'm going to try replacing the stock bulbs with LED's ... I want as much visibility as I can get before heading up to Canada in a couple of weeks time, and I want them to blink at the same rate as the LED lights on my Givi.

Anyway, I failed to search this forum for "LED" because the search engine won't search on 3 letter words ... but I did find this blog on the interwebbthingy:

https://jhlui1.wordpress.com/2012/01/17/yamaha-fjr-1300a-2007-conversion-to-leds/

which seemed to promise that it was straight forward enough, and put me onto ddmtuning as a potential vendor.

But then I got bogged down - I did not realize just how complicated LED's are - ddm lists about 5 different versions, varying from clearance specials at $1.99 to 4.99 to $9.99 for the cree's.

I contacted ddmtuning and they declined to provide a recommendation

Has anyone already done this and can point me to the right replacement bulbs to pick ? Or are willing to take a look at the variety of LED's on offer and figure it out ?

https://www.ddmtuning.com/Product-Categories/LED-Bulbs-Lights/Car-Truck-SUV

And while you are poking around their site, do they have an HID bulb I should buy as a headlamp upgrade ?

TIA

Thank You In Advance

Riona - try entering led site:fjrforum.com in your IE search bar. It will get you past the forum imposed three letter limit.

The big, "elephant-in-the-room" problem with LED tail light replacement units is their size....

Since the socket comes out of the tail light assembly for bulb replacement, the hole in the assembly is only as large as the socket, and typically, LED replacments are WAY too big to go through the hole.

Typically, LED replacements only work where the lens comes off the assembly and the bulb goes in the socket that doesn't come out the back.

Compare the two sizes:

Tail%20light%20bulb-1.jpg

1156-T25-19-LED-Car-Lamp-Turn-Tail-Light-Bulbs-White_320x320.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My issue with LED bulb replacements is that they don't work with the reflectors. All the light comes out of the LED straight out. They have much lower light when not seen from straight behind them. I have not seen an LED replacement bulb that was as visible from an angle as the incandescent it replaced.

I completely fail to see how that can be an advantage.

Most LED replacements I've seen aren't as bright from a distance as the incandescent, either. I think that's a function of the reflactor being taken out of the picture. You get a small point source of light instead of the full area of the lens being illuminated.

Again, I fail to find anything "better" in that.

My issue with LED bulb replacements is that they don't work with the reflectors. All the light comes out of the LED straight out. They have much lower light when not seen from straight behind them. I have not seen an LED replacement bulb that was as visible from an angle as the incandescent it replaced.
I completely fail to see how that can be an advantage.

Most LED replacements I've seen aren't as bright from a distance as the incandescent, either. I think that's a function of the reflactor being taken out of the picture. You get a small point source of light instead of the full area of the lens being illuminated.

Again, I fail to find anything "better" in that.

For marker/tail/brake lights I tend to agree with the poster above. If your not looking to save watts (which you shouldn't have to on a Gen2), then you will most likely not get much if any advantage from LED bulbs. If you do go with LEDs, get the "tower" type with LEDs on the tip and sides so it is visible from all angels.

Thanks: taking all comments into account, I'm going with narrow, 360 degree visibility, bright (420 lumens), 60 LED tower units ... coincidentally the same as the guy in the blog post I quoted earlier, now that I understand enough of the subject to see what his post was telling me. So I know they will fit, be brighter than original and have the same flash rate as the LEDs in my Givi ...

At 7.99 each, they are more expensive than incandescent (about $2.00 each) but a lot cheaper than LED's at other sites ($25 for a 45 led bulb at the superbright site that GBJBany referenced )

Will let y'all know how it turns out ..

You will also have a problem with LED brake lights on an ABS FJR (like yours). The ABS control unit monitors the brake lights and will activate the ABS warning if it doesn't 'see' the correct resistance (about 11Ω).

Working part time in a parts department for an HD dealership I've had this same request for years from customers. As stated above I have yet to find any LED bulb that will 1) fit properly in the space needed 2) offer the correct resistance for turn signal function, 3) are visible at an angle to properly function as a brake light. Anyone that tries to run these bulbs in the Harley world ends up having to add other items to correct the troubles the bulbs themselves cause. We've gotten to the point we'll no longer even order them in for customers as so many have been returned.

Riona, please post before and after pics.

I'm with wfooshee on this.

Havn't seen an LED light on a car or bike that is a good as an incandecant bulb unless the light assembly was designed for LED from the start.

Good lighting is more than just a bulb. The reflector and lense are just as important.

Seems like a no win to me.

I replaced the front turns with LED's. I also had to replace the blinker module (to digital or LED module) to prevent hyper-blinking. Done, works nice.

The rears are easy to replace but I got an error on the dash light and this was not from the turn but rather the running light. You would have to wire-in load resistors. At this point I just said screw it, kept the OEM stockers in the rear.

Now as far as luminance goes, the latest CREE bulbs are getting there. They (the bighter ones) are not cheap!. You probably will never save what you have to put into them. Also they are making them so they now have some rear/reflective luminous as well. LED's for your usage are "getting there"... In another couple of years these known problems will be non-existent.

Good luck, post up some pics before/after :)

Riona...Don't make that change. With the reflector issues and the lenses, you will gain nothing and may actually end up worse off. A few others have tried exactly what you're talking about and I think every one of them went back to the OEM bulbs.

Don't look for things to fix that aren't broken. Your lights light up just fine. Seriously!!

wow guys .... have to say I'm disappointed in the response. Did any of you bother to look at the blog I referenced in my original post ?

I repeat it here ...

https://jhlui1.wordpress.com/2012/01/17/yamaha-fjr-1300a-2007-conversion-to-leds/#jp-carousel-363

Has very clear photos showing

a - that the bulbs do just drop in, they are not too fat if you pick the towers

b - a view of a lit, naked bulb that shows the 360 illumination of the tower

c - before and after photos which show (at least to me) a worthwhile increase in brightness using the 60 LED towers

d - the text directly addresses the issues of load resistance "And maybe because of having even more LED’s, the load resistance is close enough to a bulb to not have to purchase another $20 set of electronic flasher relay replacements."

Don't tell me it can't be done when I've already given you research that says it can and has been done ..

LED's for your usage are "getting there"... In another couple of years these known problems will be non-existent.
.... maybe those "couple of years" happened 6 months ago ?
Well, I'm choosing to pout my lip, order the parts and try it for myself ... I'll let you know how it goes

Don't tell me it can't be done when I've already given you research that says it can and has been done ..

LED's for your usage are "getting there"... In another couple of years these known problems will be non-existent.
.... maybe those "couple of years" happened 6 months ago ?

Well, I'm choosing to pout my lip, order the parts and try it for myself ... I'll let you know how it goes
First off we didn't say "It can't be done"... u need to gear down!

We said you won't be happy with the results especially for the money/time spent. And as "I" mentioned, I currently DO run LED in the fronts with the digital module. Be prepared to dissemble the front/cowling to install this module if you go this route.

I wish I could pom-pom, ra-ra and cheer but I've been there on this subject as others also have chimed in. I still don't think they (repl LED bulbs) are where they have to be yet. And the Chinese junk I've seen so far (in the links) is relative to my thinking.

Still wishing you good luck as I think you will need it :)