LED Replacement Lamps for Tail, Brake and Turn Signals

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If we all had listened to all the old timers who have been there and done that more times than anyone can count there would be no trying out ideas by the relative newcomers on the forum. It's fine to point out that an idea has been tried a number of times with poor results but who is to say that someone can't come along with another approach and find a solution that works. Maybe not perfectly but better than what we have now. One of first, if not the first, modifications I made to my '09 was to add a Signal Dynamics Back Off module to supplement the brake light. Not perfect but I am pretty sure it works as cars/trucks stop far enough back that I can actually see empty road before I see the front of their vehicle. Much more comfortable than looking in the mirror and seeing nothing but headlights/grill and bumper.

The sheer weight of the combined negative responses would be enough to discourage almost anyone. So what if Riona's idea doesn't work. I am pretty sure she will report the results of her experiment, positive or negative, and I look forward reading those results.

If we all had listened to all the old timers who have been there and done that more times than anyone can count there would be no trying out ideas by the relative newcomers on the forum.
Well, it can be said that the wisdom of experience should count for something, and what she's asking about has not been done successfully. The weight of that experience has suggested auxiliary lighting, as you yourself have used, as vastly superior the the LED replacements for 1157, which are a kludge, at best, and dangerously inappropriate at worst.

If we all had listened to all the old timers who have been there and done that more times than anyone can count there would be no trying out ideas by the relative newcomers on the forum.
Well, it can be said that the wisdom of experience should count for something, and what she's asking about has not been done successfully. The weight of that experience has suggested auxiliary lighting, as you yourself have used, as vastly superior the the LED replacements for 1157, which are a kludge, at best, and dangerously inappropriate at worst.
I totally agree, it should and does count for a great deal. Personally I really dislike coming up with a clever solution to a problem only to find out that someone invented that wheel a long time ago. Just imagine for a moment though that someone has stumbled onto a new way of implementing a solution that has not previously been shown to be practical. As a group we all benefit from the ideas and perseverance of the individuals who tray a new approach to solve a problem. There may not be a practical solution to the marginal performance of the 1157 bulb but discouraging anyone from trying what they think might be solution does everyone a disservice. New solutions using previously visited technology aren't discovered everyday but they are discovered.

I will also be very interested in seeing how the newer generation of LED's work in this application but I won't be trying them until I see how they work out. Another option that is a low cost and low risk is to replace the 1157 with a 2357. The running light filament is the same for both bulbs but the brake light filament is higher wattage (and brighter). As far as I can tell, the physical size and the bases are identical. Obviously, it would run a bit hotter but this shouldn't be an issue since the brake is not on a high percentage of the time (unless your rear brake lever is sticking). Shorter lifetime but shouldn't be an issue on a brake light filament. I will try these if and when I ever blow a tail light bulb.

Bulb Filament Volts Watts Amps CP Lumens Life (hrs)

Low 14 8.26 0.59 3 38 5000

High 12.8 26.88 2.1 32 402 1200

Low 14 8.26 0.59 3 N/A 5000

High 12.8 28.54 2.23 40 N/A 400

Last edited by a moderator: