Lesson time (forest creatures)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I looked over just as the bear disappeared into the brush when I looked back a BMW was stopped in the middle of the road. I never could understand why people have to stop in the middle of the road. If you want to look get off the road. :angry2:

"Being in Clovis, we have some awesome roads in our own backyard, but people don't want to travel 3 hours to ride with us (can't say I blame them). In order to join popular group rides with the always fun & friendly Northern Clan, we're the ones travelling to the start point. I think it's best we just stay near home most of this season. Don't want Eve to get disenchanted and end up with a cold ugly fuel cell on back :( "

TC- Thanks for the testimonial on keeping one's eyes on the road. Lesson's not learned from others are oft repeated so this exchange is healthy and folks should thank you for bringing it up publically for all to learn from. Merced isn't that far from Clovis, PM me sometime for a ride up Tollhouse Rd. or the Hornitos area. Just hit it last week, great stuff up your way.

JW

TC - I was number 2 behind Ian on the red Triumph, two up in blue mesh jackets. It was a treat to follow Ian because he is so skillful. I don't think your near miss was with me - I think I would have noticed it. I backed off the throttle while passing in the opposing lane of traffic and didn't use my brakes. I am sure I didn't get below 40-45 mph. Partly to point the bear out to my wife and partly because two of the Harley's we were passing, ahead and to our right, started braking and getting unpredictable. If it was me I would like to know.

We must have looked like a gaggle of geese in a pile of corn from MM2's perspective. :)

TC - I was number 2 behind Ian on the red Triumph, two up in blue mesh jackets....If it was me I would like to know.
Wasn't you guys. Solo rider on an '05 FJR. I'm sure he noticed it.
p.s. Eve says she didn't get a chance to say goodbye to Karen but to let her know her company was welcomed and enjoyed. There were rumored to be three pillions coming but the other two backed out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I took a trip a couple of years ago in the Canadian Rockies. Jasper (fun place), Lake Loiuse(pretty), and Banff (tourest trap). There is an absolutely gorgeous drive up through a National Park from Lake Louise on up to Jasper.

Every bit as scenic (if not more so) than Denali national park, in Alaska.

Sure enough, you'd be moving along, and all of a sudden cars would be lighting up their brake lights, people would be swarming out of their cars (cameras in hand, of course), sometimes crossing the road en mass, to fawn over some wildlife. Despite all of the signs warning people to stay in their cars (and to pull them safely off the road), the Canadian park officials have to yell at people with bullhorns to keep them from feeding the bears,.... from outside of their vehicles, no less!!

Can you say Yogi snack! Sheeez :dribble:

To be fair for every one, "Why not have a unofficial ride rule that all rides are to be alchol free from beginning to end than you can have a col one at your home when you are safe and everyone else is too.

" don't drink and drive " this case Don"t drink and ride"

just a thought or a good rule????? weekend rider

One of the reasons I don't like to ride in groups. Unavoidable on the PGR rides I've been doing, but otherwise............ Rule 1, in any case, is no sightseeing, which kind of ruins a trip through scenic territory. If it's pretty, gotta space it out big time, cuz of the possibility of this very scenario. All too easy to have a nice day turn disasterous. :eek:

"I'm gonna seriously rethink organizing rides like this. The last one I put together had some riders partaking in alcohol consumption during a lunch stop and now this. Lots of responsibilty, lost sleep and guilt to deal with if something were to happen. It's supposed to be fun, not adult day care. "

This is exactly the reason I shun group rides. In no way am I against people having a good time but drinking and riding a bike in a group just borders on pure stupidity. I used to think nothing of getting on the bike after a few beers, or even after a few beers to many, but my whole mindset has changed. Riding is dangerous enough without adding alcohol to the mix....

As far as sightseeing is concerned, a buddy of mine and I were riding a pair of VFR's out in Cali a few years back when we were at World Superbike at Laguna Seca. I think we were on Carmel Valley Road for any of you guys that know that area but we were moving along at a pretty good clip with me following when my buddy decided he needed to slow down to look at something. Instead of applying his brakes so I at least had a visual signal from his brakelight, he simply downshifted a couple of times. At the speed we were going, I was on top of him within a split second and just barely missed the ass end of his bike as I went screaming by. I railed him for about ten minutes for his lapse of reason and ever since then I make a point of applying my brake just enough so the brake light is on if I have ANY intention of slowing down.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been thinking that I'd like to have a "Sequoia Ride Redux". That was too pretty and we didn't have enough time to go left in the park and ride the whole thing. If I pursue the idea, I'll be staying at the "Princesses" house so I get plenty of sleep rather than riding 2 1/2 hrs from Sac before the ride.
Father's day would be perfect for this (at least for me). Visit the Princess, have some dinner with the family(ies) Saturday night, then enjoy the Sequoias and a late lunch before it gets too hot and all the snow is gone. :D Saturday the 17th we have to go to Frisco for the day, sans motorcycle. :(

So who was that masked blue bike rider? You all look the same to me. Did it seem like inches to you also, or am I exaggerating? I think you turned toward Sac with the other riders just down the road where we split up.
Hmmm, no word yet from the perp. Not surprising, but disconcerting. Process of elimination leaves me with very few suspects, but luckily a few more that I still trust.

Father's day would be perfect for this (at least for me). Visit the Princess, have some dinner with the family(ies) Saturday night, then enjoy the Sequoias and a late lunch before it gets too hot and all the snow is gone.
I'm thinkin' that some "Daddy's girl" wouldn't buy that idea. I'm fairly certain she'd want all the time for herself . Daughters are funny that way..... Besides, I have to finish the map packets, directions, etc., for the "Open Passes" on the 24th. That'd be putting too much riding ahead of preparing for "the group", and I won't do that. Too many ideas with too little time.

Toe-

As with most all of your posts, I've read with great interest and concern this particular thread. I've lead many a group ride on a variety of machines and types of rides; 10k+ touring, dual sports in the middle of no where, fast and slow street/dirt rides.. I know exactly of where you speak. Group leader responsibility is a huge deal. Period. If you don't think so, don't lead.

Seems to me that the pre-ride / group selection is the most important aspect of the ride. Personally, I don't want any drinkers/druggers/messed up folks in my group; leading or following. A very long time ago I determined I could not determine a public group, so decided to ride solo and take my own chances / risks at the tender age of 17 after my first group ride that went bad. Now, I only ride with personally proven riders.

So, here I am really wanting to join the 'A' team for the Reno Big Dog ride; knowing fully I could hang and not be a liability; yet then I read of this.. I think I'll just ride solo until I personally qualify certain folks as being safe and sane and fast when reasonable and slow when required. In a way it's too bad - I am limiting my exposure to good riders who could qualify on my personal 'A' list. Then again, I avoid situations as you described. There lies the dichotomy.

Guess I'll be a lone wolf at Reno, eh? Does all this make sense? Hope I'm not rambling too much..

BTW - after the ride... and I'm safe and not going anywhere... bring it on! Let's R-O-C-K! And again, great post.

Toe...you might not agree with this....but....if you organize a ride....& someone drinks....1 or 21....(alcohol peaks in the human body approximately 1/2 hour after the last drink)....& you feel you must take responsibility...cut them out of the group...it's the only fair thing to do for you @ the group (if your taking the responsibility)....think about it....on a track day or race day what do you think others would do if they found out you had been drinking prior to going out....not trying to be mean here Toe....just drinking (& especially riding don't mix...ever)....no I'm not a cop ....just a semi retired racer who doesn't like others taking my life...(& especially the SO's) in their hands when they don't have full use of their faculties....I don't want to argue this with anyone but....1 or 21 your not @ 100%....if you think you are...your full of shit!....if something were to happen to my SO...& the person had had just 1.....I guess their families would miss them (not a threat...just a fact)...lost to many good poeple to this type of stupidity....sorry for the rant but I would hate to hear you felt responsible for someone else's stupidity.......oh ya & jacking the thread....Mike

I wasn't there and we don't have bears in Texas that I know of but we have plenty of beer and not a small number of motorcycles (usually cruiser/harley types) parked ouside of places that sell alcohol almost exclusivley.......not restaurants.

They give the rest of us motorcyclists a bad name by the stunts they pull but, regrettably, it is a self pruning tree. I suspect those same folks aren't wearing helmets either so they probably won't get away unscathed with this behavior very long.

I haven't been riding very long so I am likely not as experienced a rider as some of you but I have been designing highways for a long time. Highway design takes into account what is called a stopping sight distance (how long it takes you to stop your vehicle if a hazard is ahead in the road) and the road should be designed so that, if you are riding the posted or advisory speed (like in a curve), you will be able to see a hazard far enough away to stop your vehicle before you get to the hazard. If we ride faster than the posted speed, our reactions to tell us to stop won't be any quicker but we will cover more ground than allowed for while our mind is making decisions about what our eyes see (the hazard). In a curve, the curvature itself, say in a wooded or mountainous area where you can't look across the curve, limits our view and that is also taken into consideration when designing the road. Going too fast anywhere, but especially in a curve, puts you in a hazardous situation, not just from the difficulty of finding your line and not crossing the yellow line, but also from being able to stop your motorcycle if you see a hazard. My MSF course was right, the motorcycle stops best when it is upright and traveling in a straight line. You have neither of these conditions when you are riding around a curve.

As I said, I haven't been riding very long but when I first started riding, I really enjoyed taking curves fast, even when I hadn't been on that road before. I would go 10 or 15 or 20 mph faster than the curve ahead, slow to 25 or 35 or 45 sign basically relying on my (imagined) quicker reactions to stop or just not thinking about the risk at all. I was lucky, I never came upon a road that had gravel from a driveway or intersection or a recent "chip seal" or a fence down with livestock on the road or a mud slide or deer or a stalled car or a bear or people looking at a bear. I was lucky. Hopefully, most of us have been and wil be lucky but I am going to increase my odds. Now, I'm going to at least check out the curve (or hill or anything else with limited sight distance) at a slower speed before I take the curve fast. I may even ask a friend to post himself in the middle of the curve so he can relay information about hazards that have appeared since we rode the curve earlier. I usually ride for pleasure only and get the hell out of Dodge into rural areas to ride on weekends. Our rural roads are all good roads but these hazards exist everywhere, no matter how well the road was made or maintained. I love riding but my safety is my responsibility and my duty to people who count on me. I want to ride for a long time. I don't really like it, but I've got to slow down in the curves and maybe look for some track time for that thrill.

Just some unsolicited ramblings.....

Ray

Last edited:
I never ride with anyone else and I would absolutely hate to ride in a group. I don't like people and I like to get on the motorcycle to get away from them. I don't understand the attraction of group rides....

As far as drinking and riding goes: Jesus, that's a fast and dangerous motorcycle! You don't expect me to ride it sober, do you?!