Let the Surgery Begin!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So after you install the plates, what do you do with the backside hose inlet? Talking about the one circled in this pic....
2567.jpg

do you cap it off, or leave it open?
Actually one of the hoses is a dead end with an aluminum plug all ready in it. If you want to cap it I would just cut it short and slip in on. For now mine is wide open. I plan on putting maybe a brass air filter (Oil burner nozzle?). I will see my brotherinlaw this weekend as he does oil burner repair and see if that's something that might work.

Also Don't forget to Tape up the par valve electrical connection left under the tank. It is at the bottom of this pic slightly to the left with black electrical tape on it.

One more to go for the price break! who will it be?

Last edited by a moderator:
So after you install the plates, what do you do with the backside hose inlet? Talking about the one circled in this pic....
2567.jpg

Actually one of the hoses is a dead end with an aluminum plug all ready in it. If you want to cap it I would just cut it short and slip in on. For now mine is wide open. I plan on putting maybe a brass air filter (Oil burner nozzle?). I will see my brotherinlaw this weekend as he does oil burner repair and see if that's something that might work.

Also Don't forget to Tape up the par valve electrical connection left under the tank. It is at the bottom of this pic slightly to the left with black electrical tape on it.

Whaaaa??? What he has circled is the filtered air feed for the solenoid-which if on your bike is uncapped, is allowing unfiltered air, and lots of it, into the airbox right above the horn tuned intake tubes, specifically 1 and 2. There have been several threads on how much the FJR enjoys unfiltered air, so leave open at your peril. The aluminum plug you mention is a cap for the muffler in the AIR system, and has nothing to do with the part circled.

2567.jpg

Whaaaa??? What he has circled is the filtered air feed for the solenoid-which if on your bike is uncapped, is allowing unfiltered air, and lots of it, into the airbox right above the horn tuned intake tubes, specifically 1 and 2. There have been several threads on how much the FJR enjoys unfiltered air, so leave open at your peril. The aluminum plug you mention is a cap for the muffler in the AIR system, and has nothing to do with the part circled.
Yes i agree it has nothing to do with it. Just sayin you can use it to block it off iffen that's you preference. Me i want to leave it open but devise a method to somehow filter it somewhat. "Just Sayin" more to come on this.

I would (will) just block or cap that port off.

To my way of thinking, any (very small) increase in air flow is not worth the risk of an engine wearing out prematurely due to unfiltered air ingress a 'la OCfjr.

2567.jpg

Yes i agree it has nothing to do with it. Just sayin you can use it to block it off iffen that's you preference. Me i want to leave it open but devise a method to somehow filter it somewhat. "Just Sayin" more to come on this.
K&N makes a small filter about 1 1/4 " diam. that goes on I believe a 1/2" hose.(i.d.) I did this 6 or 7 years ago. If you can find enough room in there, I think its about 1" tall. I've had one on a 97 ZX11 now for over 40,000 miles that bike has 54,000 miles at present and still runs better than new.

Okay,

Here is my fix I just finished for the air box inlet. I didn't want to loose the modest gain in acceleration.

I started with the original that came off of the inlet but it turned out to be to long.

I then put one of the shorter hoses which was slightly bent. (Much Better Fit)

Installed in the Feeej.

I sprung for the Stainless filter ($11.95) @ autoZone. they also had others for ($9.95) regular screen different colors.

the Hose barb I allready had. $0.0. Pretty cheap mod. JMO

Last edited by a moderator: