Let's go to Arkansas

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrchik

Just a girl in the world, having rode 3 FJRs
Reaction score
Hey guys,

As promised, i am planning a trip to Arkansas for a weekend of riding. I have spoken with Bounce and we have come up with some ideas. He's very knowledgable about NW Arkansas roads so I have leaned on him for advise. We are looking at the weekend of October 6-9th, due to the fact that Monday is Columbus Day and a holiday for some lucky folks, and to make sure the weather is more enjoyable.

As far as where to stay, we have some choices and this is where I require your input. Mena is always a very popular choice, with it's Sun Country Inn. But Bounce and I have discussed staying in a more central spot like Russellville. They have 7 hotels/motels to choose from. You can go any direction out of Russellville and find great roads. So Bounce and I were leaning towards staying there. Any opinions?? I will make the phone calls to find a group rate as soon as I have an idea of how many are coming. I need to know within the next 2 weeks so i can get this done for us.

So, to summarize, the questions are:

1. who wants to go?

2. where should we stay?

Let's hear from y'all! This will be alot of fun and the best riding we can get this close to home!

Last edited by a moderator:
May I suggest Mt. Ida. Smaller town east of Mena on 270. We stayed at the family owned and very tidy Crystal Inn - 870 867-2643. Russelville is bigger and closer to Hwy 7. We have a group going August 18th but the October trip sounds fun too, and a lot cooler. We'll see.

The reason for suggesting Russellville is because it stages everyone closer for riding the roads in the NW corner of the state. Mena is okay, but after the 25 mile ride across the Tallamena Rd, the best riding is to head north (toward the NW corner of the state).

Moving east to Mt. Ida splits the distance between Mena and Hot Springs but doesn't get you closer to the NW corner.

Everything n-west of I-30 is good, but the area west of I-30 and north of I40 is even better.

The concerns about Mena vs. Russellville:

This time of year there are a lot of "leaf peepers" making trips to AR for the same reason we will be. Getting reservations early will be important. Having the capacity of a "larger" town would mean less trouble getting them only 1 or 2 months out.

Mena is familiar and about 260 miles from (an arbitrary point in) Grapevine. That may make it a little more substantial for those who are wanting to join the ride from farther south.

Russellville is about 100 miles farther. Sure 368 miles in a day is not unreasonable for most. But what if someone is wanting to come from San Antonio? On the other hand Russellville is close to those who might want to join from MO or somewhere else. Also, Russellville is large enough to be able to handle a large group if this thing takes off and we get a lot of people with a travelling jones. With a 3 or 4 day weekend (holiday + 1 day of personal time) it means that Russellville won't be the "mad dash" home to make it back to work. 3 days of riding with a "home day" of down time before having to put our noses back to out collective grind stones.

As I indicated to you in Reno, fjrchick, I will do my best to join in on the Arkansas fun. Thanks to you and Bounce for taking the bull by the horns. Edwin

Ah, so Edwin lives! Thought you had fallen off the planet. Some had asked where the hell you'd gone off to....

As I indicated to you in Reno, fjrchick, I will do my best to join in on the Arkansas fun. Thanks to you and Bounce for taking the bull by the horns. Edwin
I know you want to go to SW-FOG. Hope you can make this too!!

On the other hand Russellville is close to those who might want to join from MO or somewhere else. Also, Russellville is large enough to be able to handle a large group if this thing takes off and we get a lot of people with a travelling jones. With a 3 or 4 day weekend (holiday + 1 day of personal time) it means that Russellville won't be the "mad dash" home to make it back to work. 3 days of riding with a "home day" of down time before having to put our noses back to out collective grind stones.
+1 on Russellville... as I would love to come down and join you guys. I was going to ride down with some others next month, but I can't make it because of my new job.

Also, as someone who has riden in the area... the best roads are north of Russellville. Look at these maps... they are where I had planned to ride next month.

For those not familiar with the area... here is what I wrote about my last trip to Arkansas.

Arkansas - Spring 2006

This is a trip that my friend, Doug, takes every year and for the last two years I've had some lame reason why I couldn't go. You know some responsibilities, such as work, have a tendency to really make a mess of riding plans. This year I decided no matter what, I was going on the trip. However, on Tuesday I received an e-mail from Doug advising me the forecast for the weekend was calling for rain. This was bad because Doug does not ride in the rain. For three days I kept a very close eye on the forecast.

Thursday night rolls around and things are looking better as there is now just a slight chance of rain each day. I receive another e-mail from Doug and he's ready to go. I agreed to meet Doug at the Park-N-Ride just outside of Jefferson City at 8:30 AM.

Because I hate to be late and because I woke up at 4:00 AM and couldn't go back to sleep, I arrived at our meeting location at around 8:15 AM where I found Doug waiting. It appears that Doug also can't sleep well the night before a trip. After admiring how clean our bikes were, we quickly realized they wouldn't stay clean long.

sm_parknride.jpg

At exactly 8:30 AM, we headed off towards our first stop at a small motorcycle shop outside Rolla. Doug has been thinking about getting a new bike and he wanted to get some information on the Moto Guzzi Norge.

sm_norge.jpg

Our second stop would be in Winona, a small town on Highway 19 about forty-five miles north of the Arkansas border. A quick business meeting in Winona at the Apple Barrel Inn would later get me a contract for my computer business.

After lunch and my meeting, Doug and I were again heading south towards Arkansas. Because we are getting older and need more frequent breaks, we stopped again after going through Thayer. As we were walking back to our bikes, Doug leaned down to pull what he thought was a small rock out of the tread of his tire.

If you know Doug you know he has a strange sense of humor and likes to joke about finding nails in other rider's tires, so when he told me he had a nail in his tread I figured he was joking. I quickly realized he wasn't joking and was ready to call off the trip.

sm_nail.jpg

Luckily our break location was next door to a tire shop, so we asked the owner if he would plug Doug's tire. Because of liability issues, this wouldn't be an option. However, the owner told me I could borrow his tools to fix the tire myself.

sm_plug.jpg

I managed to pull out the nail and get the plug in fairly quickly which resulted in losing only two pounds of air from Doug's tire. Total cost for the repair, including tipping the owner, was a whopping $5.00. Doug wasn't crazy about riding on the plug, but after getting turned down at the only motorcycle shop in the area it was either ride on the plug or go home. Lucky for me Doug decided to ride on the plug for tonight and check it again in the morning.

We arrived in Mountain Home, Arkansas around 5:00 PM and we quickly checked into our hotel. The forecast was calling for a chance of rain and the desk clerk told us we could park our bikes in the hallway if we wanted to keep them dry.

After diner, Doug called our other friend, Darren, who was going to meet us in the morning. Darren planned to ride down with us on Friday, but his daughter had a soccer game Friday evening and would have to wait to join us. Doug wasn't convinced Darren would really show up Saturday morning because it would require Darren to leave Columbia at around 4:00 AM and ride non-stop to Mountain Home. Darren reassured Doug he would be at the hotel in morning, so after watching some of the NASCAR Craftsman Truck race it was lights out.

Saturday morning, as we were getting ready for a full day of riding, Doug tells me he hears a BMW motorcycle in the parking lot. Now I find this hard to believe because the TV is on, the AC is on and most BMW's are very quite, but as I move the curtain back I see Darren parking his bike.

Since we wanted to get an early start, it was a quick breakfast at the hotel and then we were off to get some fuel. I also needed to get some pseudo ephedrine because my allergies were really getting bad.

After fueling up, Doug got us lost for about fifteen minutes as we looked for Highway 201 south of Mountain Home. We quickly found our way and we spent the next couple of hours on some of the best roads outside of Deals Gap. One road in particular, Push Mountain Road, was so smooth we had to ride some sections twice. We also found a nice area to park and take some photos of each other coming around a corner.

sm_marc_mc.jpg

I always ride with a helmet, but I couldn't resist the urge of getting some photos of me without one since Arkansas is a helmet optional state. Doug also used this opportunity to let the air rush through his hair.

sm_doug_mc.jpg

After our fun on Push Mountain Road, we were off to Jasper. It was around noon when we pulled into town and there must have been at least sixty other bikes parked around the courthouse. We enjoyed a nice lunch at a North Arkansas landmark, the Ozark Cafe.

sm_ozarkcafe.jpg

We took Highway 74 west out of Jasper and this is one of the few roads that have the correct suggested speed warning signs for the corners. Most of signs we had encountered to this point suggested speeds of between 20 MPH and 45 MPH for the corners and most of those speeds could easily have been doubled. However, on this road we found a couple of 10 MPH and 15 MPH sign that were indeed the correct suggested speed. Needless to say, we came into a few of the corners a little faster than we should have.

Doug and Darren don't like stopping for photos, but because of my allergies I found myself making a few extra stops. One of the stops afforded me the opportunity to click a few photos of the views.

sm_overlook_bike.jpg

sm_overlook_view1.jpg

sm_overlook_view2.jpg

Our second day ended around 5:00 PM in Eureka Springs after about 350 miles of riding. The weather so far has been a little warm, but it has been dry so we can't complain. We enjoyed another good meal and then it was lights out.

Day three was supposed to be a quick 300 mile ride back home, but we ran into a couple of problems. When we left Eureka Springs the forecast was calling for a chance of rain and cooler temperatures. Just outside of Springfield we started to hit a little rain and with the cooler temperatures, we decided to stop and get into our rain gear.

Even though Doug doesn't like to ride in the rain, with our rain gear on we are ready for whatever we rode into. What we rode into about 10 minutes later was sunshine, so we stopped again and took off the rain gear. When we got to the lake we had to stop again, not for the weather, but rather the traffic. MoDOT had the great idea to close one lane of Highway 54 for repairs. Now traffic is bad at the lake on any summer weekend, but with one lane closed it meant stop and go traffic for almost an hour.

Our total mileage for the trip was just shy of 1000 miles and the trip was a lot of fun for me, other than suffering from some very bad allergies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Radman, Queen of the prom! I am honored that you would even remeber such a lowly subject. I took a most agreeable route back. Five days through Nevada, southern Utah, northen New Mexico and finally, across Texas. Senic Byway 12 in southern Utah was incredible! Zion, Bryce, Capital Reef and Monument valley. Should have been there. Edwin

I really need a break like this. Let me check my schedule to make sure I'm not forgetting something, but at this point I'm about 65% in on this trip.

I think I can make the Columbus weekend Arkansas trip. I am planning to attend the SWFOG the previous weekend if it gets off the ground.

John

I want to go but have to leave Monday morning (Oct 9) on a business trip. Any other weekend....

FJRayJ

Hey guys,As promised, i am planning a trip to Arkansas for a weekend of riding. I have spoken with Bounce and we have come up with some ideas. He's very knowledgable about NW Arkansas roads so I have leaned on him for advise. We are looking at the weekend of October 6-9th, due to the fact that Monday is Columbus Day and a holiday for some lucky folks, and to make sure the weather is more enjoyable.
I'd be interested in joining you guys, coming from the KC area. Russellville is fine with me.

Jeff

I'm also in the early stages of planning an ARK trip from the DFW area in early October. I was thinking Clarksville as a base since there are some nice day-long loops out of there I've done in the past but I'm OK with Russellville too.

Looks like the FJRs are taking over Arkansas for the first two weekends of October. The midwest section has Smitty organizing a group based in Allison and heading west from there...and obviously you guys are having some fun, too.

We'll try to leave some good roads for ya. Pray for good weather...