Lets have fun - YOU tell me how to spend my money

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
in order

atgatt

sliders

fz1 mirrors

windshield

yamaha manual

audiovox

comms

gps

seat

it cannot be over said how much better the fz1 mirrors are than stock. when you get them go to the trouble of removing the fairing far enough to get the rubber spacers off that are between the fairing and mirror mounts. in these spacers are four steel sleeves. remove 3/16" from the small end of these sleeves and put them back on. then install the fz1 mirrors without the stock fjr outer rubber gasket. that will make the fz1 mirrors fit nicely with no gaps.

Grip puppies are good but I don't know how they would go with the heated grips.Also, (without heated grips) I just put on the vstrom knuckle guards. They are great! In the rain coming back from CFR never got cold or wet hands. Click

Also disable the automatic windshield retract Click

They go just fine with heated grips

Screw the farkles. Just save your money and use it to buy gas while you wander the Earth. After a few years of riding every day you can splurge with the money you have left over and buy some underwear...sheesh, noobs.

When you toss your first set of new tires on, in, oh--say 5K miles or so, have a set of these ready for install:

all_valves.jpg

Get 'em from Forum Member BikeEffects HERE.

You'll wonder how you ever lived with a bike without 'em. :)

Screw the farkles. Just save your money and use it to buy gas while you wander the Earth. After a few years of riding every day you can splurge with the money you have left over and buy some underwear...sheesh, noobs.
Panzy - real men ride with chain mail... ;)

+1 on the V-strom handguards and FZ-1 mirrors. They will keep you hands drier in the rain, and allow you to see traffic much better, respectively.

I would also suggest a front Fender Extender. Cheap, and helps minimize the crap getting tossed back on the radiator.

LINKY

Cruise control: add it to the list.Throttle lock: Remove it from the list and never raise the subject again.
When I get around to finally installing my cruise control, I'll keep the throttle lock, as sometimes it comes in handy for a quick "need to use the right hand for something else" like texting, shooting or just saying :****: to somebody while the left thumb holds down the horn button....
:lol2:

(snip)
it cannot be over said how much better the fz1 mirrors are than stock. when you get them go to the trouble of removing the fairing far enough to get the rubber spacers off that are between the fairing and mirror mounts. in these spacers are four steel sleeves. remove 3/16" from the small end of these sleeves and put them back on. then install the fz1 mirrors without the stock fjr outer rubber gasket. that will make the fz1 mirrors fit nicely with no gaps.
Yeah, I'll +1 on that. I put this farkle off for years, then ran across a used pair of OEM FZ1 mirrors cheap on eBay. They are soooooooooooo much better.

Send me $100 for the first prototype of my magnetic bug juice helmet visor cleaner thingie, you'll have the first one and replacement parts are available from the dollar store!

I'm on the third proto now amazing how intricate something as goofy as this gets, but it does allow me to keep my visor bug free while riding with minimal distraction and time away from the left grip.

Send me $100 for the first prototype of my magnetic bug juice helmet visor cleaner thingie, you'll have the first one and replacement parts are available from the dollar store!
I'm on the third proto now amazing how intricate something as goofy as this gets, but it does allow me to keep my visor bug free while riding with minimal distraction and time away from the left grip.

Well, i'm kinda tapped out after all the orders of the last week, but I'm intrigued to know how this works? (Unless this is a joke and I just didn't get it :) )

Well, i'm kinda tapped out after all the orders of the last week, but I'm intrigued to know how this works? (Unless this is a joke and I just didn't get it :) )
I suspect it's something real, but I too, remain befuddled...

Plexus cleaner for your windshield. May not qualify as a farkle, but given the price it demands it could be argued to be one.

Congrats on the new bike, before you get any mods to change the bike, ride it stock for a while and see waht works and waht needs to be changed, there are a lot of PNW riders keep an eye out on the PNW section. PM me if you want check out my farkels to give you some idea on what you might want for you new ride.

Marcus

I liked the suggestion for you to ride the bike as stock for a while, then figure out from this vast selection of farkles, which ones will take top priority for your budget. Unless that is, you have unlimited funds to spend.

Agree with the suggestion that ATGATT is the very first thing to do. One only has to read a few of the gut-wrenching get-off posts to realize that good gear, worn EVERY trip can save life and limb. And, if you get a bright yellow helmet, you can be found easily if you fall off a mountain. Just ask Old Michael!

You just didn't get it. It was a pretty sucky joke in your defense.

I liked the suggestion for you to ride the bike as stock for a while, then figure out from this vast selection of farkles, which ones will take top priority for your budget. Unless that is, you have unlimited funds to spend.
Agree with the suggestion that ATGATT is the very first thing to do. One only has to read a few of the gut-wrenching get-off posts to realize that good gear, worn EVERY trip can save life and limb. And, if you get a bright yellow helmet, you can be found easily if you fall off a mountain. Just ask Old Michael!

This is the best suggestion yet.

Done and done...

In fact, I bought another jacket and new riding pants yesterday when I picked up the bike.

ATGATT stock now consists of...

1 pair of Harley Davidson airflow-style gloves (why not, I was in Sturgis last month and bought them at the dealer there...)

1 pair of Alpinestars long gauntlet wind/waterproof gloves

1 pair of Bering gauntlet style gloves which are still a bit tight, so will need a new home

1 new helmet

1 Tourmaster Transition 2 jacket in bright yellow ( :D )

1 Fieldsheer mesh armoured jacket in white/light gray (I wore this yesterday for a 2 hour ride and it was perfect!)

1 pair Alpinestars touring boots - oh so comfy, and waterproof too. :)

Yes, I wear everything when I ride. I figure with that level of coverage, I might look like a genetically altered Bibendum, but it's worth it for the protection. :D

I suspect my farkling will begin innocently enough... frame sliders and the like. Things to protect this black beauty.

I loved riding it yesterday and this morning (to work), and while yesterdays ride illustrated a couple of things to me that need refining, overall, it was great!

Maybe this weekend I'll distill this thread into a point form list...hmmm...

Screw it - maybe this weekend, I'll distill a few hours into break-in mileage! :D

I suspect it's something real, but I too, remain befuddled...
The offer to sell was a joke but the protos are real. I've been using these steadily refined protos all week. I'll take some pics of the protos this weekend and post them here.

These are made with parts from the dollar store.

The case is a reusuable food storage tub about 2" high, 7" long and 3" wide. I consider it to be too wide and too tall for optimum.

The cover for the container is used when not using the thing to keep mositure in.

The bottom of the cover has a sponge glued to it to hold moisture.

The cleaning sponge was made with a wet side and a dry side with a rubber sheet in between, it is microfiber with a sponge under it.

Foam should be used for the sponges as regular celulose ones will actually crack when dry (yeah I did it).

The rubber inside the cleaning sponge fits the food storage container to keep mositure in there when riding, and also to secure the sponge.

The thing is mounted with some rare earth magnets glued into a rubber sheet that is glued to the underside of the storage container.

It works great, allows me to debug the helmet with the left hand in only a few seconds.

In the hot you only need to use the wet side as the thin residual moisture evaporates in seconds.

If that is too wet you turn it over and use the dry side.

Moisture on the dry side evaporates while the sponge is in the container as its dry side up and wet side down.

I've actually learned a lot about this so far and have dozens of refinements to it that would make it a great product adaptible to almost all bikes.

The heat in Oregon just started and I love the back way to and from work, so I want to keep the screen down and the bugs off my visor.

My old method involved spraying cleaner on the visor and using a sponge in the map pocket. I did this for about a month before trying to do something better.

The spray would go all over the place even running up under the visor on my 3/4 helmets (I wear these in the heat just when the debug is most useful).

This could be a real product but I'm at a loss to see how it could sell enough units to make it worth while as you would need to sell at least 1K per month. Even with the dollar store approach you have to sew the sponge together by hand, no such sponge exists that I could find via google. Honest the rubber in between is key without it the thing goes dry in less than half an hour.

Anyway, anyone with 50 or 100K to spend on a motorcycle accessory pipe dream, maybe we wouldn't go broke?

And if we got this going we could do the cup holder and the 'pull back the crotch of these damn jeans , electrically operated, no balls in a thimble ,thingie too'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rolavine - I like the idea mate - good one. I recently saw a chamois/sponge at Eddie Bower that could work well as a "dryer" side. It's meant to be used to clean off mirrors or anything else that is glass and gets moisture on it...

I thought it best to enlist the august members of this fine chat-shack to help me spend my money on mods.

Help spending money you say?

Well we need to go practical first.

So id say

stretch the swingarm

300 back tire (for touring of course)

Nos

blower

tv's in the mirrors

Ipod mount with 18 inch subs where your hardbags used to be

28 inch Spinner rims

Chop the gas tank down to 2 gallons, use excess space for beer cooler

Gold Winshield

Panda skin seat

2 million candlepower headlight

Hire the real Ed Hardy for paintwork

keep in mind i am very serious about this.

:D If i was any good at photochopping i would do a picture for you