Lets Talk Helmets

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frayne

Reaction score
Well, I'm thinking of buying a new full face helmet, currently using an HJC symax. The old HJC is getting beat and has been dropped a few times. Looking for a good fitting, quiet and cool full face helmet, any suggestions or preferences ? Appreciate any and all replies in advance.

I just bought two HJC AC-12 Axis in MC-5 color scheme.

This is my second round of the AC-12 helmet and I am very pleased thus far. GF likes hers too.

Great mid-priced helmet IMHO.

mc5.jpg

This was covered pretty well last year.

I don't know if much has changed in helmets since then:

Try these: Link1 Google seach

Edit: of course there are other helmets out there, but your interest in "quiet" reminded me of the Aria vs Shoei debate.

Last edited by a moderator:
The current issue of Cycle World has a write-up on the new Bell Star. Looks to be worthy of further investigation!

clicky

I had one of the originals back in the 70's.

Have been wearing Arais, but they seem noisier than I would like.

I really like my Shoei RF1000...but then I have an old KBC that I wear sometimes too...

I think , without trying to sound like a dick, that asking what helmet folks use is akin to an oil thread. Kinda pointless.

The ONLY way to pick out a helmet is to go somewhere and try them all on. As FIT is the most important feature.

It has been shown that a $200.00 helmet can protect you just as well as a $600.00 helmet, so don't let price be a guide.

Many have had concerns about the SNELL approved helmets, and seem to believe the European standard is a better guide...but again, a well made DOT approved helmet can save your life just as well.

When you say "cool" I am assuming you mean air flow and not a helmet that just looks "cool"

The Shoei's seem to flow air well with the vents open, but it would be really nice if you could find a dealer to let you "test drive" a helmet you are intrested in.

Feature wise, the Akuma with the electrochromatic visor gets my vote for best new thing in helmets...

https://www.akumahelmets.com/home.html

I just finished purchasing an Arai, a Hjc, and an Akuma Stealth, but the Shoei was in the running and if i hadnt got such a good deal on the Arai I would have got it instead... The Arai does seem to be a touch noisier than I thought that it would be but I didnt actually ride with the Shoei. Ventalation is a big factor in choosing helmets for me because im big in the head sweating/ and itchy when sweating department.. If I had known about Gmax i would have checked them out too .. they seem to have a decent rep at the moment other than one rider said that the interior was shot in 6 months of constant riding.. That isn't something that would happen with a Shoei or an Arai..

Fit is the most important thing of all.

If the helmet does not fit it really makes no difference if it is quiet or not.

I ride with an ARAI and just about alway have. Yes it may be a little noisier that others but for me, it fits and is confortable for 12 hour days.

I can fix the noise issue, if there was one, but for me it is not noticeable after I turn on the satellite radio or ear plugs when the radio is not in use.

Well, I'm thinking of buying a new full face helmet, currently using an HJC symax. The old HJC is getting beat and has been dropped a few times. Looking for a good fitting, quiet and cool full face helmet, any suggestions or preferences ? Appreciate any and all replies in advance.
Love my new Shark RSI lid. Great airflow with minimum noise. Super lightweight.

...I ride with an ARAI and just about alway have. Yes it may be a little noisier that others...
I always thought Arai had the reputation of being one of the quietest helmets around.

Not so?

Scott
I'm comparing apples to oranges in terms of age, but my Arai Profile is so much quieter than my rf800 and vents much better too. Open all the vents and I can hear a steady woosh, but not like blowing across a coke bottle, wear custom earplugs anyway. Why the Profile? It turns out that I have been wearing the wrong shape helmet all this time. I thought the red splotch on the farhed was normal. Bottom line I was in a position to go solely on fit and not price that day. My dealer dealer wanted retail for the x11 and gave me a deal on the profile. I really like it and the new? visor system is easir to change, but not near as easy as shoei's.

I always thought Arai had the reputation of being one of the quietest helmets around.
Not so?
Not for us. My wife and I just both got new Arai's. She had a Schuberth and I had a Shoei. Both of us have remarked on the drastically increased wind noise. But we've also noticed more and better airflow (and therefore, more potential for cooling).

Not so?
Not for us. My wife and I just both got new Arai's. She had a Schuberth and I had a Shoei. Both of us have remarked on the drastically increased wind noise. But we've also noticed more and better airflow (and therefore, more potential for cooling).
Fit is the most important thing in helmets. I'm a very hard fit. I fianally found the Shark RSX to be perfect for me, and very quiet, I'm very pleased with it for around 300 bucks

I'm in the middle of a helmet decision myself. You have to try on everything.

Trust me, you decide on a helmet, then fit it... and you hate it. But, the one you KNOW you won't like... like a glove.

Remember, it's going to take an hour or more to accurately 'fit' the helmet or not. Fit first and foremost.

If you want to WASTE $300+ dollars, you could buy a Scorpion Exo-1000! :dribble: :dribble: (biggest disappointment in over $15k of motorcycle accessory purchases in the last 5 years)!

But if you want a great helmet, try the Shoei RF-1000 or any of the Arai helmets that conform to your head!

Best Regards,

Shane

I went looking for a new helmet also.

Having a 25.5 inch cro-magnum forehead, not a single motorcycle dealer or accessories store in my area had a 2X Arai Corsair, Shoei X11 or even a RF1000 helmet in stock.

I really wanted to try an Akuma, went to the web site and CycleGear was the local distributer. but the local CycleGear doesn't stock them yet and weren't even sure if or when they were coming in.

I was going to order one online, but damn, if I didn't like it and had to return it, all the shipping cost to try at least 3 of the helmets would have added up.

I finally went back, reread all the old post, looked on Ebay to see how many used ones of the above 3 helmets were for sale, and ended up ordering a Shoei X11 at Cycle gear.

It was the most expensive so if I have to trade it in I'll get some money back and won't have to pay for any shipping. The Akuma will be next followed by the Corsair (I saw more used ones of these on Ebay for sale than the others).

I sure wish I could have just tried one on.......... :(

What about the HJC Symax II? If you liked your old Symax, the recent issue of Rider says this one is better, and under $300.

If you want to WASTE $300+ dollars, you could buy a Scorpion Exo-1000! :dribble: :dribble: (biggest disappointment in over $15k of motorcycle accessory purchases in the last 5 years)!But if you want a great helmet, try the Shoei RF-1000 or any of the Arai helmets that conform to your head!
I have two Scorpion exo700's and they're the quietest helmets I've owned, which includes Shoei and an Arai Astral. I tried the '1000 but didn't like it and didn't need the whole inflatable cheek pad gimmick thingamawhosit. I will never own an Arai again as it was, as far as I'm concerned, the poorest quality helmet I've onwned. The top vents would not stay fixed (replaced them numerous times) and same for the shield vents. The rubber strip around the bottom also started to just 'fall off'. On the other hand, I had it painted like an eyeball and it's damn cool looking.

The Scorpions fit me perfectly, the shield changing system is probably the quickest around. Their shields are fog free so no having to use another aftermarket product to keep the fog off. I'm really loving the photochromatic shield too. At $190 price point, a very affordable lid, imho.

Just start trying them on. Find a few that fit and go from there.

Look, fellers (and rider gals),

What makes a helmet noisy is air gaps betweenst one's cranium periphery and the provided inside dimensions of the paddification of the helmet-age in question.

If you accept the prior hypothesis, then what does that mean? It means that what is quiet on Joe Blow doing the magazine write ups ain't necessarily so, fo' yours truly.

Conclusion? (no not concussion)

Get yerself some good, cheap earplugs and stop wasting your hard earned money trying to to find the "quietest" helmet in the universe (unless you are Donald Trump or some other such).