LindaT Custom Tankbags

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaitsdad

I'm confused - Just ask my Wife.
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Following my abysmal performance in my first rally, the Spank 2007, I sat down for breakfast with a long time LD rider that is not a forum member - and discussed what I had learned, and what I needed to change.

I contacted Linda Tanner of CustomTankbags.com and we conferred on what I wanted - and this was the result.

In the 2007 Iron Butt Rally, I had seen pics of an 06 FJR with a system that was very intelligently designed - it was made by Linda, and being used by Mike Evans - (Mike, I don't know if you're a forum member or not - hope you don't mind me mentioning your name) here's a picture of Mike's bike from Linda's website -

186324636-M.jpg

And this seemed to fit the bill.

First - (and this may very well belong under Vendor feedback) Linda was a joy to work with - communication was excellent, and she knew all the right questions to ask. Linda's work is absolutely top notch - and you'll be able to see examples in the pictures below.

There are several components to this system.

Tank bra, Panniers, and Tank bag -

So let's start with the primary piece - the bra.

232586274-XL.jpg

The bra attaches to the bike with straps at the front and back - (yes, I know I'm missing a tank bolt - long story :blink: )

232586049-M.jpg

232585514-L.jpg

The bra and panniers are lined with a soft, closed cell foam sheeting to protect the paint.

232585618-M.jpg

232586274-L.jpg

The panniers attach to the bra on each side, using both full length hook and loop strapping, as well as clip hooks.

Each pannier has a pocket of your choice - and includes pen/pencil loops.

Here's a detail shot of the bra top - showing some really nifty items -

232583657-XL.jpg

Note the D ring below the filler - that's for afixing a spare key on a lanyard - and there's a pocket there to tuck the key in. This means that you do not have to turn off your ignition and remove the key in order to open your filler. The small zipper forward of the filler is a pocket for stowing your credit cards - easy access, no digging through pockets, etc.

The tank bag attaches to the bra with clips and hook and loop - and when you need to fill, simply unclip the front clips, and fold the tankbag rearward.

232584422-L.jpg

232584505-L.jpg

And you have easy access.

(I'll continue in the next post)

Last edited by a moderator:
And now for the really cool part of this system - the Tank Bag.

234090306-L.jpg

(I know - I've tried to exceed my abilities with my camera, and am failing...)

There are many options in the bag -

Pockets, hidden pockets in the flaps, a 'Gizmo' section for powered accessories, expandability, additional D rings, etc.

So - the powered "Gizmo" section -

Linda installs a waterproof Powerlet bulkhead as an option - this allows you to power anything you want - I'll be using it for my Starcom1, (out from under the pillion seat), charge my cell phone, and power my GMRS radio when needed.

234090341-M.jpg
234090541-M.jpg

I'll be installing a 4 position fused barrier strip in there -

So let's think about how to get cable ingress/egress to the gizmo section -

Linda builds in a 'pass through' where you want it -

See that flap?

234090411-M.jpg

This is what's underneath it -

234090461-L.jpg

234090499-L.jpg

Helmet cables, etc., can pass through this opening. The hook and loop flap go a long way towards keeping the environment out as does the water resistant zipper.

This shot shows the detail work that Linda puts into these bags - each pocket zipper is water 'resistant', the "D" rings, etc. Just amazing work.

234090681-L.jpg

I also purchased the Rally Book that she makes - it fastens to the top of the bag with a clip and hook & loop.

Here's a shot of the complete system installed:

233065112-XL.jpg

233064771-XL.jpg

I have yet to take it for a ride, so I'm sure I'll be doing some minor adjustments and such.

Just an absolutely amazing system - very intelligently thought out, executed well, and certainly worth the dinero. In my opinion, I don't think Linda charges enough for this. I can't even begin to estimate the woman hours she puts into this.

So - if anyone out there is looking for a custom system at a very reasonable price - well, you'd be hard pressed to do better.

This isn't everything about the system - there's a huge amount of stuff that I didn't touch on. Visit Linda's web site, and see what she can do. Absolutely first rate.

Schweet Hal!

Man, that looks so cool, I may reconsider using my venerable Yammie tank bag for LD work. Funny, I was at Mike Evans' FJR many a time and didn't really notice his tankbag. And yep, he is on the forum.

So how much dinero was it all?

That is the groooooviest farkle I've ever seen.

Very cool Hal ...while I realize it is "custom" .....how much coaching did you give Linda?, and how much did she just do for you?. In other words: Just how custom is it?

I've seen many of her bags(all very nice), but none with the groovy ranking of yours.

Nice job dude!!

So how much dinero was it all?
:poster_stupid:

I've looked at them a couple times but have been scared at what they might cost.
s

Well, let's see.

It was less than the recent suspension group buy.

But not by much.

And when you ask for all the goodies - ya gots to pay for them. The price list is on her web site.

That is the groooooviest farkle I've ever seen.
Very cool Hal ...while I realize it is "custom" .....how much coaching did you give Linda?, and how much did she just do for you?. In other words: Just how custom is it?

I've seen many of her bags(all very nice), but none with the groovy ranking of yours.

Nice job dude!!

Well as to 'custom' - I think this was Linda's 2nd or 3rd GenII FJR. Not sure. I know she's done one for a GenI - a 2005.

And it's considered 'custom' as it was built to order, the colors were picked by oui, and all the little goodies were requested by same. Linda gives great advice, and asks a lot of questions. So - let's just say it ain't off the shelf.

I picked the pretty blue piping. Goes with my daughter's eyes. I could have had an all blue system - but I'm a slob, and would have spilt my beer hot chocolate on it.

I'm sure you will be very pleased with your Custom Tankbag. Linda does first rate work and backs up her product.

I see your bra attaches differently than mine. I'm interested to hear how the rear attachment works out for ya.

Mike Evans

Saratoga Springs, NY

Very nice! For me the bagster is "almost perfect" this could be made perfect.

Once I figure out how to pay for my new suspension I need one. :blink: :blink:

Hal, your bike is probably the most farkled 06 I have ever seen. You set the bar high my friend.

I have been looking at The web-page for Linda's custom bags, and the one thing I think I would ask her to do is no put so many log's on the bag. In the one shot Hal shows there are 3 logos, and they ain't small.

I have been looking at The web-page for Linda's custom bags, and the one thing I think I would ask her to do is no put so many log's on the bag. In the one shot Hal shows there are 3 logos, and they ain't small.
Yeah.. so what's her web address?

:rolleyes:

Fred!!!

Second line of the first post.

EDIT: seems I missed the humor, Fred. Good one !!