Locking Oil Fill Cap for FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Interested in locking oil fill cap for FJR

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• I never check my oil so I never need to add any.

• Total voters

CAJW

Reaction score
When I was talking with Murph recently we got to discussing FJR accessories and he mentioned that he wondered if there would be interest in a locking oil fill cap for our FJR's. I cited the recent jackass that damaged a forum member's ignition and thought that a locking oil fill cap would be a nice addition to my steed to slow down the lazy vandals. The price point he is shooting for is $20 and would have a lock similar in design to a wheel lock so the average Joe (no offense to Joe, unless you're average) couldn't just stick a screwdriver in it and spin it off. He'd like to have a donor cap sent to him for R&D. I'll send him the results of the poll after a couple of weeks to help him judge interest. Nope.... no commission on my part, just trying to help a good guy keep his business expanding. Thanks.

https://www.murphskits.com/catalog/

Last edited by a moderator:
A simple tamper resistant lock would be nice. I bought the Touratech oil filler lock and have used it only once ($70). It's a pain in the *ss to put on and take off with the key.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I haven't been exposed to the vandalism.... why do you need a locking OIL cap? Are they stealing your oil or your cap? I've never heard of nor know of anyone who has ever had a problem...........

I guess I haven't been exposed to the vandalism.... why do you need a locking OIL cap? Are they stealing your oil or your cap? I've never heard of nor know of anyone who has ever had a problem...........
The sick minds resort to pouring unfriendly materials into your motor. Geez, I had a hard time even replying out of concern it may give one the idea. :thumbsdownsmileyanim:

Keep Going!

The sick minds resort to pouring unfriendly materials into your motor. Geez, I had a hard time even replying out of concern it may give one the idea. :thumbsdownsmileyanim:

Keep Going!
That is precisely why I've been using this locking oil cap since I bought the FJR, I originally bought from Bike Johnny in the UK. This cap is a little annoying to lock/unlock but you get used to it and can enjoy the peace of mind that the only thing in your bike's oil is what you put there... I know most FAGS aren't too bright, but you might get unlucky and come across one that is and decides to drop some sand, sugar, even water or gas. etc in your oil filler hole just to see what happens. I have heard that you can totally "kill" and engine with just a little amount of sugar in the gas tank, so I think similar or even worse would apply to the oil.

Obviously this locking cap will not stop a determined asshole, with some basic tools but will certainly be totally effective at preventing a casual FAG from messing with your oil.

What's the point, really? If someone want to put a major PITA nuisance slamdown on your bike there are countless other avenues than adding shit to your oil. Just think what you could do with a good pocket knife in 20 seconds to the oil filter, right side radiator/waterpump hose, tire valve stem or all your handlebar wiring for example. That polished 'tamper proof' oil cap is pretty but likely not a real deterent to someone looking to **** up some 'POS Jap bike" But to each his own. I'm not slamming the idea, just don't see the value if vandalism protection is the goal.

I have a Meissner oil filler cap from Wild Hare acc. it is polished Stainless and comes with the tool to tighten and remove it. I suppose it could be removed with simple tools but will definately slow down the vandals.

Until I saw the picture I couldn't imagine how that would work.

Do you cover your bike while it's parked? I do. Even at work. I guess the oil is the least of my worries... I'm more concerned with something "easy" being stolen or slashed. It takes a bit of effort to get the stock oil filler cap off as it is. If they're really hellbent on screwing with your oil then that's what insurance is for. Right? (let's not discuss how good or bad insurance would be in this thread, I'm just sayin')

I wouldn't want to have to transport that "key" with me on a long trip, especially if I think I'll have to change the oil. What if you lose it? How much is the replacement "key" ??? I"d probably order two keys just 'cuz...leave one at home permanently.

I wouldn't want to have to transport that "key" with me on a long trip, especially if I think I'll have to change the oil.
Why? Mine has been rattling around in the 'glove box' for thousands of miles. When I change oil I know exactly where it is...course everyone else does now... :blink: I liken this to wheel locks on a car. You keep the key with the car in case of a flat, yes?

--G

I almost think a locking oil filler cap is over kill, but hey we have a locking gas cap so why not?

\

I also would think someone would key your bike or something before taking the time, to pour some foreign fluid down. I can not stand cowards.

On a side note I like Murph, I use to own a Connie. Them Connie owners can come up with more farkles!

Buck

Dls.Tx