Lookin to buy a BIGGER shoe

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPORT

Reaction score
Ya I know. I've read, and probably responded to most threads regarding this topic.

Clicky 00

Clicky 1

Clicky 2

Clicky 3

Our FJR's have a 6" rim and can handle a 190. Nevertheless;

I did a search regarding tire size and its relation to 'squaring-off', but found no results. So,

Would a 190 'square-off' faster (under relatively normal sport riding conditions) than a 180?

I asked a dealer who thought the 180 would square off less quickly than a 190 due to it being more 'pointed'. I got to thinking later that his logic seems flawed. If it is more pointed (less rubber contacting the ground during straight riding) then it ought to wear faster.

In contrast then, a 190, with a wider foot print, should retain its form longer as the weight distribution would spread further creating less weight per square inch. This reduced weight should theoretically reduce tire wear.

What are your thoughts?

It's only $10 more for a 190...why the hell not.

Now off to NERPT.

EDIT: Since I'm switching to Avon Storms, my first set will be 180's. Next summer I'll purchase 190's and compare the two under fairly equal conditions.

Sport

Last edited by a moderator:
Well let's look at your theory for a second. Contact patch can be determined by dividing total load ( in pounds ) by air pressure in tire ( in pounds per square inch ) to give us contact patch ( in square inches ). Neither aspect ratio nor profile enters into the equation.

Therefore it makes sense that overall tire width doesn't effect it's longevity.

They will, however, have an effect on handling.

I currently have a 190 PR2 mounted and find the bike turning-in slower, IOW, running wider in turns.

In the short term I'll make some suspension adjustments to counter this but at replacement time I'll go back to a 180.

I've successfully put a 200 on my '04 but it required a mod of the brake anchor arm. The thing you'll find is that a 190 or 200 is taller than a 180 and will effectively change your overall drive ratio by X percent. (Where X is the difference between the circumference of the 180 vs the 190 or 200.

When I put the 200 on the '04, putting the bike on the centerstand took ZERO effort. The tire basically stayed on the ground.

To answer your original question, no, a 190 will not square off faster than a 180.

On the one hand, tire pressure divided into the load would appear to give the contact patch area... but it doesn't really tell you anything about the specific shape of the patch.

I know that Metzeler, for their SportTec M-3 tires, claims that the profile for their 190 is different. They claim "190 profile delivers specific pressure distribution to create the optimal contact area." So while the amount of area may be the same from tire to tire at constant tire pressure, the shape of the area may be different from tire to tire, and this could effect the road feel.

I am running these on another bike as replacements for the OEM Pirelli Diablos in the same size, i.e., 190/50ZR17. I like the M3 better than the Diablo so far, although I got exceptionally long life from the Diablos (5330 miles).

I can't tell you how the 190's do on an FJR, but I can tell you that I'll continue to use the Metzeler Z6 180/55ZR17 C spec tire on the FJR's rear and the Z6 120/70ZR17 G spec tire on the FJR's front. I really like the Metzelers and they're generally readily available.

You'll like the Avons. They wear well and grip nice.

As for a 190, why. All rears will square off over time. That extra 10 bucks won't buy you many miles.

Also, if you're after a bit of that 'bad ass from the rear' look, get a fender eliminator and a hugger. makes the FJR look amazing.

Just my .02¢ :D

About a year ago a friend of mine did that switch on his Blackbird. And hated it. He thought the 190 looked good on his bike (and it did) but we do a lot of sport riding. The handling was effected. He did not like it at all. He has since went back to a 180 , and swears by it.

Hate to be contentious, but 'our' FJR has a 5.5 inch rim, not 6. And a 190/50 tire has a shorter sidewall than a 180/55.approx 4mm.-resulting in a smaller diameter tire. If you are as good as Rossi you might notice the difference. Also a big difference between brands..ie a Bridgestone 020 180/55 is over 190mm wide mounted- bigger than Avon storm 190/50 mounted which is slightly pinched. Anyone know the mounted width of a Pilot road 2 190/50 ? I usually measure using a bar clamp as a caliper.

Hate to be contentious, but 'our' FJR has a 5.5 inch rim, not 6. And a 190/50 tire has a shorter sidewall than a 180/55.approx 4mm.-resulting in a smaller diameter tire. If you are as good as Rossi you might notice the difference. Also a big difference between brands..ie a Bridgestone 020 180/55 is over 190mm wide mounted- bigger than Avon storm 190/50 mounted which is slightly pinched. Anyone know the mounted width of a Pilot road 2 190/50 ? I usually measure using a bar clamp as a caliper.

Your measurement must be inside diameter (ie. inside bead to inside bead). No matter, the Triumph Sprint/Daytona's had the same wheel size and had 190's.

Either way, my point was more towards tire wear and longevity. Had some good responses so far. Hopefully I'll order a 190 Avon Storm in early summer so as to provide a more objective feedback... if that were possible. :)

THanks for the input.

Your measurement must be inside diameter (ie. inside bead to inside bead). No matter, the Triumph Sprint/Daytona's had the same wheel size and had 190's.

Either way, my point was more towards tire wear and longevity. Had some good responses so far. Hopefully I'll order a 190 Avon Storm in early summer so as to provide a more objective feedback... if that were possible. :)

THanks for the input.
Rim width is measured from the inside surfaces of the flanges..I've used Avon Azaro 45-46 for years and always got over 7K of hard riding-When they were replaced by the Storms I tried them and they were toast just over fiveK. Michelin PR2 will go on this winter. Either way I like a 190 better than a 180- never had a problem with that size and they definitly have more grip[ at least in vertical position}.. Looks better too.

Loved the Azaros. Freakin HATE the Storms. No more for me.

As for the original post, my question is WHY do you want to go to a 190? What are you hoping to gain?

And for El Toro - dude, try something besides those POS Metz! (Like a PR2 or RoadSmart) You just might be pleasantly surprised.

And for El Toro - dude, try something besides those POS Metz! (Like a PR2 or RoadSmart) You just might be pleasantly surprised.
I've been through a lot of different tire brands over the years, including true POS tires. When I worked at the dealership back 35+ years ago, we eventually became the east coast distributor for a bunch of stuff (a motorcycle marque, and several tire, helmet, accessory manufacturers). I've got a few miles in on Yokohamas and Cheng Shins. None of the modern tires seem to qualify as true POS quality level in my book with these as my bench mark. :rolleyes:

I was reluctant to try the Metzelers several years ago when I was replacing the OEM Bridgestones on my ST1100 and my V-Strom 1000. I can't remember why I defied the local expert logic and ordered a pair of Z6 and a pair of Tourance. I was quite surprised by how well I liked both sets and I have been choosing the Metzeler tire whenever I needed tires during the past few years.

I like the Metzelers. I know a lot of other folks don't seem to. I get good wear out of them (typically 5000 to 7000 miles, depending on aggressivity of the ride and weight of the bike), they're rated for 186 mph (like I need to worry about that), and they're sticky and predictable. I don't ride the FJR as my "sport bike," so maybe I'm not pressing them as hard as some of you other guys. I am pressing them hard enough, and the FJR will press better than any of the other ST style bikes I've had.

Every once in a while I get chuffed to try the PR2s. I have had Michelin Pilot Roads and liked them OK. My Guzzista friends tell me that the PR2s are really great, and reports from most users here are quite positive too. Maybe I'll try them sometime.

Note that a lot of folks really like the Storms, so this tire stuff is another YMMV type of issue.... .literally. Heck, one person actually told me once that she really liked the Cheng Shins and had had good service from them.

To each his/her own.