Looking at getting a new '12 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auron

FJRForums' Red-headed stepchild
Reaction score
So I am looking to replace my blackbird after many enjoyable miles, but my back and knees at age 35 have have enough of it. I've looked at and test ridden several bikes now, the C14 being the closest to the FJR. Rode a 1200RT, could never get along with that silly front end. Then a VFR1200 not very impressed at all, and then a Tiger 1050 which was outstanding but I can't buy until this winter and that bike has been discontinued and there are only a handful of new ones left.

After my C14 ride I came away liking it very much, but turned off by the harsh suspension and all that tech seems unnecessary. I'd seriously blow my top if that stupid FOB ever stranded me for even 2 seconds. I decided against it and moved on to considering a lighter adventure type bike like the Tiger 1050 and Multistrada but I am used to Japanese reliability and durability and fear I would miss not concerning myself with engine problems.

So I'm back to the heavier sport-tourers and the FJR seems like the one closest to what I'm used to with my XX. I am wondering how I will like the shaft drive, obviously I'll love not having to maintain a chain, but how does the FJR shaft in particular effect the ride? For reference I put about 1000 miles on my Dad's ST1300 and never noticed it once.

Thanks!

You'll never notice the shaft drive until you need to change the rear tire. Then you'll notice how easy it is compared to a chain drive.

What Geezer said...this isn't like the shafts of old.

It'll be just like the ST and if you were happy with that, you'll be very happy with the FJR. No more mess and tire changes are a snap!

Good luck with the search, you won't be disappointed. :)

--G

Last edited by a moderator:
I just sold a 2005 DL1000 Vstrom with 80,000 miles. Chain was ok. The reason I sold the ManStrom was I have a 2009 FJR with 30,000 miles - I was not riding the Vstrom anymore. Compared to the Vstrom the FJR has much better wind protection, ride more miles in comfort per day, much better wind protection and you never notice the drive shaft.

I really like my FJR, the only thing I would change is the shape of the saddle bags. The diamond shape is not very space efficient.

You can find a used FJR for a lot less than a new one. These things are so reliable you can buy it a year or two old and have a like new and save a lot of coin.

I plan on riding my FJR for years to come.

If everything goes according to plan, Yamaha will release info about a '13 FJR1400 and I'll be able to pick up a '12 in December for a great price.

Two shaft drives that didn't impress me were VFR1200 and RT1200. Both seemed have a lot of slack which is why I was curious about the shaft.

Also, I do remember when this bike first came out, it got a few negative comments about the stacked transmission being notchy. Haven't really heard rider complain though so was if just another stupid magazine thing looking for something bad to say?

Just visited a Triumph, BMW, Ducati dealer and there was nothing there that would replace my 09 FJR. The FJR drive shaft is good, trouble free but has some gear slack sometimes noticable when downshifting in turns. Very minor tho and like others wrote you will probably like it and prefer it over chain drive.

Bill

I have put @ 50K on old school shafties like my '81 Sazook GS850. All handled like pregnant hippos in the twisties, jacking up and down and weaving with throttle changes. I learned to ride the rear brake while twisting the throttle. The FJR has no shaft drive effect that I can feel-zero zip nada nothing. Makes me wonder why Kawi, BMW, Guzzi have such heavy complicated shaft drive systems..Slack is the same as my FJ1200 with a new chain.

Ditto. I've had an older Suzuki shaft drive and when you gassed it the rearendrose an inch or so at least..

They have managed to redirect all of that torque. There are alot of bikes out there that I really like and would love to own but after riding my FJR this long my rating system would automatically deduct a full point from any bike that I had to maintain a chain drive. The new shaftdrives are that good.

Excellent. The only concern I have left is the extra weight and size. I have gotten pretty aggressive with my blackbird but nothing close to what I hear about people scraping hard parts and mine was lowered pretty good. I'm sure I'm not as quick as I think I am :p Have maybe 1/8 inch chicken strips on my rear tire. At those speeds, does anyone think I'll be dissapointed with the handling of the FJR compared to my XX?

Excellent. The only concern I have left is the extra weight and size. I have gotten pretty aggressive with my blackbird but nothing close to what I hear about people scraping hard parts and mine was lowered pretty good. I'm sure I'm not as quick as I think I am :p Have maybe 1/8 inch chicken strips on my rear tire. At those speeds, does anyone think I'll be dissapointed with the handling of the FJR compared to my XX?
Chicken strips are not a sign of skill (click me)

So I am looking to replace my blackbird after many enjoyable miles, but my back and knees at age 35 have have enough of it. I've looked at and test ridden several bikes now, the C14 being the closest to the FJR. Rode a 1200RT, could never get along with that silly front end. Then a VFR1200 not very impressed at all, and then a Tiger 1050 which was outstanding but I can't buy until this winter and that bike has been discontinued and there are only a handful of new ones left.

After my C14 ride I came away liking it very much, but turned off by the harsh suspension and all that tech seems unnecessary. I'd seriously blow my top if that stupid FOB ever stranded me for even 2 seconds. I decided against it and moved on to considering a lighter adventure type bike like the Tiger 1050 and Multistrada but I am used to Japanese reliability and durability and fear I would miss not concerning myself with engine problems.

So I'm back to the heavier sport-tourers and the FJR seems like the one closest to what I'm used to with my XX. I am wondering how I will like the shaft drive, obviously I'll love not having to maintain a chain, but how does the FJR shaft in particular effect the ride? For reference I put about 1000 miles on my Dad's ST1300 and never noticed it once.

Thanks!
I put about 150,000 miles on some cruisers with belt drive then this April bought a new left over 2011 FJR(A) and have put over 5000 miles on it and have never even noticed the shaft.

Like someone else said it will be much easier when I do a rear tire change with no belt adjustment to bother with.

Yes I'm so looking forward to not messing with a chain anymore!

... I am wondering how I will like the shaft drive, obviously I'll love not having to maintain a chain, but how does the FJR shaft in particular effect the ride? ...

I had an '82 Yamaha Seca 750 Shaft Drive and on these older versions, the rotation of the Shaft (called Jacking) with lift the rear tire upwards.

Yamaha changed the spin direction and some other things and now the Shaft is not even noticed.

You will love the 2012. I was concerned about the weight and haven't had any real problem in that department. Just have plan ahead a little so you don't put yourself in a position of needing to push it around or back up up hill. The complaint I have is the clutch plates stick a little until it gets warmed up. Had them soaked and it shifted like a dream for about 1500 miles, but they are sticking again but not nearly as bad. Once it warms up it shifts better than it did before, I think anyway. I don't want to bring it in again during the prime riding season since I only get about six months or so of joy riding my FJR. I'll bring it in again in Sept or Oct. As for the shaft drive, it's the only way to go and you won't miss the noice the chain makes.

Good luck and I hope you join the 2012 club. Cobalt Blue is Yamaha's fastest FJR you should know. :)

If you were OK with your dad's ST1300, you will be more than OK with the FJR. The "shaft jacking" that was so common on older bikes has mostly been engineered out of modern bikes. If you are coming from the BlackBird, the FJR is going to be the better choice between the ST and the FJR. I love the ST but the FJR will be more to your liking if you are a sportybike guy.

Chicken strips are not a sign of skill (click me)

while they are NOT a sign of skill, they are a metric of how far over you are getting the bike... and should be used as feedback.

and to the OP, you will not be disappointed.

You will love the 2012. I was concerned about the weight and haven't had any real problem in that department. Just have plan ahead a little so you don't put yourself in a position of needing to push it around or back up up hill. The complaint I have is the clutch plates stick a little until it gets warmed up. Had them soaked and it shifted like a dream for about 1500 miles, but they are sticking again but not nearly as bad. Once it warms up it shifts better than it did before, I think anyway. I don't want to bring it in again during the prime riding season since I only get about six months or so of joy riding my FJR. I'll bring it in again in Sept or Oct. As for the shaft drive, it's the only way to go and you won't miss the noice the chain makes.

Good luck and I hope you join the 2012 club. Cobalt Blue is Yamaha's fastest FJR you should know. :)
Looks like plenty of '12's out there on cycle trader, how do you guys think the rumors of a 1400 next year will effect current model sales? Anyone think I'll have trouble getting one just after Christmas?

Looks like plenty of '12's out there on cycle trader, how do you guys think the rumors of a 1400 next year will effect current model sales? Anyone think I'll have trouble getting one just after Christmas?
Rumors of the FJR going to 1400 have been around for a few years, until Yamaha posts on their web site pictures and specs the FJR1400 it remains a rumor. Going by what Yamaha didn’t do with the AE models, I don’t think they will offer crazy knock out deals to clear the decks of 2012 inventory if the CCs are bumped up. If you want to wait until Christmas you will be able to find a brand new 2012 if you are willing to travel. With that said, why wait? Get yourself a 2012 and ride!! :)

I'm also seriously considering going to an FJR from a Blackbird. I'm not worried about the shaft drive, but the extra size/weight had me concerned - good to hear it shouldn't be an issue. I think I'll miss the XX's amazing motor, though. I've never ridden an FJR and can't compare directly, but the XX's engine sets the bar awfully high.

My other concern is turbulence. I'm hoping to reduce wind noise around my helmet. Even with a good helmet and ear plugs, wind noise aggravates tinnitus and I'd like to keep my hearing. Seeing the number of threads about different windscreens makes me wonder if the FJR will really be better than having my head in clean air on the XX. Anyone with direct experience with the two?

I started looking on Cycle Trader and found new '12s in the high $12k range. Clean, low-mileage '10s seem to be going for around $10k. Tough call, but that Cobalt Blue is sweet.