Looking at getting a new '12 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a little worried about turbulence too. I rode a '09 C14 with a stock screen and was pretty dissapointed. FJR is a different bike but I'm thinking smaller than stock since wind noise isn't as much of an issue with my earbuds playing music all the time :yahoo:

take mine out for a day.

i have 5 different windscreans to try. super short to very tall.

i love the super short BTW... and think helmet selection is nearly as critical as the windshield

... and think helmet selection is nearly as critical as the windshield
+1

I had a Scorpion EXO-400? I think? or 700? whatever. With the same windshield I have now (CeeBailey's +4 tall +2 wide flip), my head bounced around a bit. With my current Shoei RF1100, no issues at all.

I'm trying to figure out how you mess up your joints at 35...but I digress, you won't be disappointed with any of the newer FJR's. I agree with your dislike of the C14 Fobs, a bunch of complaints early on and a useless complication if you ask me. Personally being cheap, I would look for a new left over somewhere......it's a proven platform and anything since 08-09 or so is basically the same.....a few nice touches went on in 10 I think, but nothing major.

The FJR is a seriously fast bike in the hands of a good rider. Fairlaner and some of the SoCal guys out here ride these things like you wouldn't believe. Our infrequent group rides to Big Bear are real eye openers..... :dribble:

I have owned both! The XX was smooth and powerful! Unfortunately I got stupid and wrote the bike off in an accident. I have had my FJR going on to my fourth season and absolutely love it! If your idea of riding is long distance I think it is the perfect bike! I have had the recalls done and except for oil/filter, air filter, tires and now a new Race Tech suspension after 75,000kms I have had absolutely zero problems! 2 years ago I crossed Canada and back across the states in 2 1/2 months and over 25,500kms, the only maintenance required was oil/filter and tires, nothing else! By adding a few farkles to make it "your" bike I think you will be very pleased.

I'm looking at a new leftover '09 AE. Does anyone know if I'd miss any of the changes to the '10 model and/or will all the recalls have been done if it's still in the crate?

You'd probably have to ask (and should ask) the dealer about whether recall(s) have been done. Look here yourself at what is potentially affected...seems potentially just one. As for changes from '09 to '10 also look for yourself here. We suggested you look it over when you signed up.

I'm looking at a new leftover '09 AE. Does anyone know if I'd miss any of the changes to the '10 model and/or will all the recalls have been done if it's still in the crate?
Of course you would miss the changes to the '10 model. You are buying an '09 model. And how would any recalls been performed if it's still in the crate? It's pretty much in the same condition as when it left the factory back sometime in '09.

Most things were sorted out by '09. The one major thing that wasn't is the electrical wiring harness issues. You will want to make sure yours gets the recall done and the supplemental wiring harness added.

The good news is that the AE model programming was updated for the 09 model year and has been reported to be smoother than previous AE models.

You'd probably have to ask (and should ask) the dealer about whether recall(s) have been done. Look here yourself at what is potentially affected...seems potentially just one. As for changes from '09 to '10 also look for yourself here. We suggested you look it over when you signed up.
In ref to the 2012, it appears all the bugs have been worked out. I've been looking through the forum for ref to the 2012's to include the above thread, no inputs ir updates yet. From what yamaha's been saying, the 2012 should be fine (non-AE). Unless others have info I have not seen.

In ref to the 2012, it appears all the bugs have been worked out. I've been looking through the forum for ref to the 2012's to include the above thread, no inputs ir updates yet. From what yamaha's been saying, the 2012 should be fine (non-AE). Unless others have info I have not seen.
As far as anyone around here knows, all the bugs have been worked out since the 2010 model which was the first model year to come with the updated (no recalls) wiring harness.

Did Yamaha just begin installing the grip warmers now that the AE has been

discontinued? Or was that done earlier?

And. watching this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a5_SgiToAM

shows something very different from all the FJRs I've seen.

Not only the FJRs, but any bike I've ever seen/owned. Unless it was wrecked.

Can you see what that the difference is? And why?

Hint: look closely near :36.
As far as anyone around here knows, all the bugs have been worked out since the 2010 model which was the first model year to come with the updated (no recalls) wiring harness.
Thanks Skooter ;)

Of course you would miss the changes to the '10 model. You are buying an '09 model. And how would any recalls been performed if it's still in the crate? It's pretty much in the same condition as when it left the factory back sometime in '09.
My bad, I was asking if Yamaha does the recall work at the factory, and if I would miss the changes as in, were they noticable upgrades.

Suggest it's a brand new FJR, just assembled out of the crate, the battery was disconnected during the turn-on sweep. Do I get a prize?
huh.gif

Suggest it's a brand new FJR, just assembled out of the crate, the battery was disconnected during the turn-on sweep. Do I get a prize?
huh.gif
That is correct! Here's ur prize :clapping: :clapping:

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually I did think of one more concern, tire wear. My bird would begin to flat spot a Z6 front in about 1500-2000 miles. Not a whole lot, but that's when you could start noticing it.

I would be switching to the Pilot road 3 just to compensate for the extra weight. Anyone using the pilot 3 and how does it do on the FJR compared to other tires?

So my other thread was banished for responding to a question about oil, ooops.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=147042&st=40

Just went to a local dealer with a good rep and asked for a '09 AE still in the crate and he thinks I'm insane. I told him I'd pay 11,500 plus his normal fees to get it here. We'll see if he even checks, I was really put off by his thinking I'm a nut job, hope he feels stupid when he does a search.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you are a nutjob. Why go to a local dealer and ask for something he doesn't have? That he will have difficulty obtaining. And that will cost you additional for him to get.

I would be looking for dealers that already have them.

I didn't offer my dealer anymore than I would have paid anywhere else + shipping. That way I could avoid transporting the bike and pick it up like they had it in stock.