Looking for a new jacket

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatNakedGuy

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am looking for a new jacket and wanted to ask for suggestions.

The 5.11 Tactical Aggressor Parka has caught my eye..

Just wondering what other quality jackets may be out there that I should take a look at before deciding.

Thank you!

Rick

What kind if jacket? A winter jacket, or a MC jacket. By mentioning the 5.11 I'm thinking a winter jacket.

What do you want to to do??

You do need to decide what you're wanting, as there is so many options.

I bought 3 MC jackets last year, and only got one of them right. On the first one, I didn't consider that the exterior armour on the shoulders would interfere with my full face when shoulder checking (the lesson, try the jacket on with the helmet you are going to wear, sit on a bike and move around like you are riding). On another, the collar drives me crazy (here I re-learned to hate collars).

It is worth giving it careful consideration ... There are some pretty good multi-function jackets out there. My buddy just bought a Tour Master Intake Air Series 3 from Cycle Gear; nice jacket.

All about the function you want and the fit.

Nice jacket for going out to play in the snow or rain. I like the North Face, Mountain Hardwear or Marmot stuff also...hope yer not planning on using that for riding gear.

As stated, you need to narrow down what you want the jacket for.

Here's my take. I've kept two jackets on the hanger. A summer (mesh) and winter (3/4 length). The summer is a Joe Rocket Phoenix 5. With the rain liner and a Warm'n'Safe heated liner, it covers 75% of my riding. On trips, I carry a set of Frogg Toggs as rain gear to put on over it if need be.

The winter jacket is (or was) a Joe Rocket Ballistic 4 (current version is the Ballistic 8 I think). This was my late fall, winter, early spring and nasty weather jacket - 100% waterproof, but only good up to about 75 degrees; at that point, it became a sauna. I had this jacket on when I crashed in October of this year - it held up very well.

In my opinion, you want to look at motorcycle jackets for motorcycle riding. The 5.11 jacket you mention looks like a great piece of gear, just not for riding - it will lack the abrasion resistance and impact protection that is built into motorcycle specific clothing. You can find some very nice gear for $200 - discount sites like motorcyclegear.com and many others offer closeout bargains on "last year's" model of jackets.

I'm in the same process right now - I need to replace the Ballistic 4 I had on in October. I'm considering the Olympia Nomad - it has features that lead me to believe it could be better for long trips where the weather varies greatly (starting in Michigan and winding through OH, WV, NC, SC, GA, TN, KY).

Good luck...

Wayne

Lke all the others been already alluded to, it depends on what you want it for.

The selection is great, I have 3 different bikes, with 3 different tasks. But lets stick to the FeeJay, I have two jackets, 3/4 length, hi-vis, one is light and made out of ballistic stuff and tons of vents for hot days, and a heavy duty with a thicker liner, for the more cold days. The latter one is from First Gear and is called Kilimanjaro.

I wanted a comfortable fit and not going to compromise my safety, compared to my various two piece leather suits, they have to fit snug so I can do my spiel on my Gixxer, or my lazy and loose Cruiser outfit with chaps and a heavy leather jacket.

I've a few short jackets as well, yet have to have one which zips onto my leather pants, so kind of a fake two piece suit. Yet I found those are a tad too short for me, so I prefer to wear my 3/4's.

V

RPK

I'm a Tourmaster fan for big bang for the buck

Sonora in hi viz summer (with TM Venture Air pants)

Echo in hi viz for winter

I'm 220# and wear an XL Echo which are on closeout at motorcyclegear/new enough

$200 (I payed $250 2 years ago) with a $60 gift card kickback

Largest available is XL, though...check the size chart which is accurate...the jackets run standard with most other jacket sizes for comparison

read the features mentioned on the web site...I love the thin but waterproof hood stored inside the collar

it's utterly waterproof (I wear TM Caliper Pants with it) as I've ridden in monsoons and stayed dry. 3/4 length is very advantageous.

Good Luck

Mike in Nawlins'

https://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/textile_jackets_and_pants/tour_master/epic_textile_motorcycle_jacket.html

Epic_Jacket_YL.jpg

Largest available is XL, though...check the size chart which is accurate...the jackets run standard with most other jacket sizes for comparison

read the features mentioned on the web site...I love the thin but waterproof hood stored inside the collar

it's utterly waterproof (I wear TM Caliper Pants with it) as I've ridden in monsoons and stayed dry. 3/4 length is very advantageous.

Good Luck

Mike in Nawlins'

https://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/textile_jackets_and_pants/tour_master/epic_textile_motorcycle_jacket.html

Epic_Jacket_YL.jpg
I see this is down to a closeout price of $149 w free s/h.

If it's as waterproof as you say I may be tempted. With warmer weather coming (I hope!) I'm kinda MORE in the market for a cooler mesh. But the new lower price sure looks @ttractive!

Good Luck

Mike in Nawlins'

Epic_Jacket_YL.jpg
I see this is down to a closeout price of $149 w free s/h.

If it's as waterproof as you say I may be tempted. With warmer weather coming (I hope!) I'm kinda MORE in the market for a cooler mesh. But the new lower price sure looks @ttractive!
I bought this same jacket at my local dealer for the same closeout price and a First Gear summer mesh jacket for about half price too, both in Hi-Viz. They will price match quite often so they ended up coming down to match the internet closeout prices on these items. So perhaps browsing your local dealers for something you like and negotiating the price may work for you too. Of course, being able to look at and try on is always a plus before buying.

IMO the Tour Master Epic jacket is excellent, even more so for $150.
smile.png

A Dariean from Stich is what I wear year round. I have so many mesh and other jackets but the Stitch will go everywhere with me. It has enough vent to keep you cool and all zipped up except for the bottom, with a cooling vest will keep you cool in very hot conditions.

As I said I always wore mesh in summer but have found the Stich better at keeping me cool except in stop and go and then I don't think anything keeps you cool.

Keeping the heat out is a big part of a jackets job. The stich has proven it's worth to me over a 7500 mile, 28 day ride out west. Never wore the mesh I lugged along, it was a waste of space to carry the mesh.

Oh and I did not have to carry rain gear or liners either.

Did some jacket shopping this past winter.

One thing I found out about most of the waterproof 3/4 length touring jackets (including the tourmasters mentioned above) is that they are waterproofed via an intermediate waterproof membrane between the outer shell and inner mesh liner. This does make them nicely waterproof, but makes the jackets not vent well since the membrane is behind any zippered vents. In other words, when you open the vents it will only flow air to the outside of the membrane. The membrane may pass some small amount of air through its vapor release pores, but it isn't like your skin will get any direct breeze. This is what makes these kind of jackets feel so hot when it gets above ~80 F.

One jacket that is different is the Olympia AST2, which is what I bought. The intermediate membrane is attached to the shell in a way that allows the vents to open fully to your body. Of course this requires those fancy watertight zippers and lots of velcroed flaps. I'm hoping that this makes the jacket useable to a somewhat higher temperature. They are not cheap, but they are pretty well made.

The Gore-tex Darien has no liners of any kind. The GoreTex membrane is glued to the back side of the cordura shell surface. When you open the pit-vents it is a straight shot to your body. But the way that these jackets vent the best is to open the sleeves and neck area up wide and let the jacket inflate with air flow. I have one, but cannot seem to get comfortable with wearing it. The cut is very boxy on these and the neck doesn't seem tailored for my body shape or something. Lots of people swear by them.

It is definitely an asset to be wearing your "rainsuit" all of the time. Pulling over every time that a thunder cloud shows up is a royal pain in the rump.

Last edited by a moderator:
A Dariean from Stich is what I wear year round. I have so many mesh and other jackets but the Stitch will go everywhere with me. It has enough vent to keep you cool and all zipped up except for the bottom, with a cooling vest will keep you cool in very hot conditions.
As I said I always wore mesh in summer but have found the Stich better at keeping me cool except in stop and go and then I don't think anything keeps you cool.

Keeping the heat out is a big part of a jackets job. The stich has proven it's worth to me over a 7500 mile, 28 day ride out west. Never wore the mesh I lugged along, it was a waste of space to carry the mesh.

Looked them up... whoa, super pricey!

$487 + upwards of another $180 for a liner (or +$277 for a heated liner). So this jacket better be all that in the $600-850 range!

I've liked my various First Gear Kilimanjaro jackets. They have lasted a long time (Son in Law still uses my Kili 1 that I passed down to him when I got my Kili 3).

.....It is definitely an asset to be wearing your "rainsuit" all of the time. Pulling over every time that a thunder cloud shows up is a royal pain in the rump.
Thanks for sharing, and very good info (not just the quoted part, your whole post!)

I think your spot-on. For me when I'm in the touring mode (and not just putzing locally) this has to be on my jacket-list 4 sure. I found the same problem as you on air flow w mid-liners etc. The sealed liners (no zipper or access points) have a few complaints from hardcore users saying it's not H2o proof. And then the "solid" liners complaints you get the ones saying your airflow THRU them is restricted. Kinda a catch 22 so I'm still waffling. Goona def go Hi-Viz however (point taken in one of your "Does HiViz wear help?" posts)... yepper, I took notice
wink.png

Looked them up... whoa, super pricey!

$487 + upwards of another $180 for a liner (or +$277 for a heated liner). So this jacket better be all that in the $600-850 range!

KJ,

Don't bother buying any aerostich liners. They are way overpriced. Just use whatever polarfleece jackets/sweaters you already own. Or if you have a heated liner use that.

Anything with the real deal GoreTex will be exorbitantly priced. But it does allow perspiration to escape better than any of the other membranes. A buy like you who just dropped over 6 bills on a lid should think nothing about another 5 for his jacket. ;) (just teasin')

Be aware that the Aerostich HiViz gets dirty very fast, and doesn't clean up all that well. And even when new it isn't as eye shockingly bright as most other HiViz jackets out there. I bought both of my Dariens second hand for around 2 bills (from ADVRiders) and both came complete with lots of pre-existing street cred. The first one was an XL and it was just too big form me (and I'm not a small guy). It flapped around n the wind which made it a no-go for me. The one I currently have is a size Large which fits better and doesn't flap around, but the armor pads are cumbersome and the collar thing I mentioned earlier is troublesome. I would definitely try to try one on before you dropping that kind of money on one. Or try a used one first then upgrade to new if you like it.

Gott-cha,

I'm not trying to be cheap either, just want a good HV jacket for spring/summer so mesh is prob the way and a waterproof liner is a must.

Wat ya think of Teknic Aquavent Mesh. The one main reviews/complaint is the velcro liner and when re-installing it gets stuck to everything. It could have more HV color vs. the prevalent black w HV accents. Of course how it feels and fits is another story.

Teknic_2012_aquavent_jkt_yellow_detail_1_600.jpg

I just purchased the Klim Latitude jacket and pants this winter and was able to try them out in Texas last month. They work along the same concept as Aerostitch laminating goretex to the outside layer with straight through venting. They also offer a mesh liner to keep the Goretex away from your skin and they don't look or fit as frumpy as the Daren coat and pants.

Like Fred said "Wearing the rain suit all the time" just makes sense to me, but I just could not pull the trigger on the frumpy Daren Jacket to go with my Daren pants. So far I'm pretty impressed with the Latitutde and went with that model because I thought I could get away with wearing it on the FJR unlike the Badlands Pro or Adventure rally jacket.

https://www.klim.com/en-us/shop/jackets/5046-660

https://www.klim.com/en-us/shop/moto/men/pants/5147-000

I like the looks of that Klim a lot. To be honest, I'd feel a lot better spending ~$500 on something like that than on a Darien. Klim has an excellent reputation for durability. It doesn't come in HiViz, but if you got (or already have) HiViz helmet you've got that angle covered. And you could always wear a HiViz mesh vest over it. Then you could be HiViz on commuter days and stealthy non-geek on other days.

edit - Looks like the Lattitude Misano is will be available as HiViz

@KJ, If you'll be looking at a mesh 3 season jacket, check out the Olympia Airglide 3s. They are being closed out for the new Airglide 4 and can be bought for a great price ($150) all over the place. One nice feature about these jackets is they have a 2 part liner, so you can wear just the thin wind and waterproof liner (in summer) or the insulating layer under the waterproof layer in spring and fall. It's a lot of jacket for $150. Yeah, I am an Olympia gear whore.