Looking for a new jacket

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've liked the idea of never needing separate rain gear since the first time someone explained leaving the "roadside rainsuit boogie" behind. I also like the 3/4 jackets as waiste length always ride up on me when in a riding position.

There is no one perfect jacket. Spending more money will most likely get it closer to perfect, but then the high price will detract from perfection. I compromised somewhere between price and quality and got a very pleasant surprise. I bought a Tourmaster Transition Series 3 and I like it better every time I ride with it. I got a much better jacket than I thought I was getting, it has really enhanced my enjoyment of my motorcycle. As others have said, wearing your raingear ALL the time has its advantages. Especially in a place like South Louisiana.

I cannot help but wonder though. If I got this much goodness for under $200, how much would I get if I came off some real money?

I cannot help but wonder though. If I got this much goodness for under $200, how much would I get if I came off some real money?
Ever heard of the phrase, "the point of diminishing returns?" I think this applies some where here.
wink.png
"The point of diminishing returns" defiantly applies Aerostitch, Klim and other high priced gear. The quality and workmanship is great, but is it THAT much better?

I was able to get 30% off my Klim apparel because I am a Firefighter though an organization that caters to Firefighters, Police, and military. They handle hundreds of companies and provide discounts of 15% to 50% discounts.

If anyone qualifies as Police, fire or active military let me know and I can send you an invite. They are supper fussy and only allow discounts to members not even allowing you to purchase for your family members.

A Dariean from Stich is what I wear year round. I have so many mesh and other jackets but the Stitch will go everywhere with me. It has enough vent to keep you cool and all zipped up except for the bottom, with a cooling vest will keep you cool in very hot conditions.
As I said I always wore mesh in summer but have found the Stich better at keeping me cool except in stop and go and then I don't think anything keeps you cool.

Keeping the heat out is a big part of a jackets job. The stich has proven it's worth to me over a 7500 mile, 28 day ride out west. Never wore the mesh I lugged along, it was a waste of space to carry the mesh.

Oh and I did not have to carry rain gear or liners either.
Looked them up... whoa, super pricey!

$487 + upwards of another $180 for a liner (or +$277 for a heated liner). So this jacket better be all that in the $600-850 range!

KJ,

Don't bother buying any aerostich liners. They are way overpriced. Just use whatever polarfleece jackets/sweaters you already own. Or if you have a heated liner use that.

Anything with the real deal GoreTex will be exorbitantly priced. But it does allow perspiration to escape better than any of the other membranes. A buy like you who just dropped over 6 bills on a lid should think nothing about another 5 for his jacket.
wink.png
(just teasin')

Be aware that the Aerostich HiViz gets dirty very fast, and doesn't clean up all that well. And even when new it isn't as eye shockingly bright as most other HiViz jackets out there. I bought both of my Dariens second hand for around 2 bills (from ADVRiders) and both came complete with lots of pre-existing street cred. The first one was an XL and it was just too big form me (and I'm not a small guy). It flapped around n the wind which made it a no-go for me. The one I currently have is a size Large which fits better and doesn't flap around, but the armor pads are cumbersome and the collar thing I mentioned earlier is troublesome. I would definitely try to try one on before you dropping that kind of money on one. Or try a used one first then upgrade to new if you like it.
The liner is not needed or at least by me. I have electric cloths and just used them under it in winter. When you are in heat and you open the sleeves and collar you puff up like well that little dough boy. However the air inside is insulating you and with a cooling vest in non humid conditions it is very nice.

As to high viz I said it before they all fade and the Stich is no exception. I bought Gray for summer and Black for winter. I have to say it is the best piece of riding gear I have ever owned. I also have forgone mesh and have a lot of Olympia gear in mesh. As with windshields gear is cumulative and takes a lot to get to what you like.

After my near death accident in 2010 I wear only the best I can find and of course that is my opinion. The Stich is all that and more. Enough vents to keep you cool, enough adjustment to get it to not flap, and D3O armor. I added the full spine protector, and hip pads to the AD1 and Darein Light pants. One pair works in both pants.

Again all what you like and are looking for. I used to just throw the mesh on for quick trips but have since just put the Stich on and go. If something happens having your best gear sitting at home is not too good. As to price well you have to decide. I see Stich jackets in our BMW club that are ten to fifteen years old and one piece that is 20 years old and sound as the day they were bought. As I said gray is what all colors of Stich migrate to over the years so I bought Gray and of course Black for heat gain in winter.

I am not a lover of mesh in the slide aspect as melting nylon is not going to be good on the skin.

Again as with helmets and oil, use what you like. If I would add all the money I spent on mesh and various other gear I could have paid for many Stitch jacket and pant combos. I was told many years ago to go to stitch and did not, whish I would have listened.

I've liked the idea of never needing separate rain gear since the first time someone explained leaving the "roadside rainsuit boogie" behind. I also like the 3/4 jackets as waiste length always ride up on me when in a riding position.
I'm now on this bandwagon also :) and since I'm tall, I feel the same as you do on the shorter jackets "creeping up".

I like the looks of that Klim a lot. To be honest, I'd feel a lot better spending ~$500 on something like that than on a Darien. Klim has an excellent reputation for durability. It doesn't come in HiViz, but if you got (or already have) HiViz helmet you've got that angle covered. And you could always wear a HiViz mesh vest over it. Then you could be HiViz on commuter days and stealthy non-geek on other days.
edit - Looks like the Lattitude Misano is will be available as HiViz

@KJ, If you'll be looking at a mesh 3 season jacket, check out the Olympia Airglide 3s. They are being closed out for the new Airglide 4 and can be bought for a great price ($150) all over the place. One nice feature about these jackets is they have a 2 part liner, so you can wear just the thin wind and waterproof liner (in summer) or the insulating layer under the waterproof layer in spring and fall. It's a lot of jacket for $150. Yeah, I am an Olympia gear whore.
Do have the HV helmet now but some on the jacket would still be nice. Was at my SkiDoo dealer yesterday (Can-Am) and saw Olympia and actually tried on some Olympia pants. Nice but they were heavy! (plus $219 bux). How's the weight on this Airglide 3 jacket?

I have seen the Tourmaster Intake Air 3 (not confusing these two different "3's" of course)

wish list...

-HiViz

-Summer/breathable (mesh OK)

-waterproof liner (mid OK)

-lightweight

-mid or 3/4 length (some waist's if maybe tall version?)

The Olympia Airglide is a shorty jacket, so it may not be what you want. They also make a HiViz mesh 3/4 length touring jacket called the Moab, that may be just what you are looking for.

2012-Olympia-Moab-Air-Jacket-Neon-Yellow.jpg

Their mesh gear is considerably lighter weight that the 4 season gear. I have both.

The Olympia Airglide is a shorty jacket, so it may not be what you want. They also make a HiViz mesh 3/4 length touring jacket called the Moab, that may be just what you are looking for.
2012-Olympia-Moab-Air-Jacket-Neon-Yellow.jpg

Their mesh gear is considerably lighter weight that the 4 season gear. I have both.
I like it but it's also 2X the price of the aforementioned Air 3. Maybe a shorty I must go. That Teknic jacket was a shorty. Kinda wish that was Hi-Viz and not just bright Yellow. And if they are made by Klim I like it even more as I have lots of snowmobile stuff by them (awesome prods!).

Pulled trigger for a Tour Master Sonora Air Hi-Viz, $200 shipped from Sunrise Honda eBay store. They have all sizes if you contact them.

I liked the 3/4 size with additional tail-piece coverage, Revzilla & MCSS reviews were all very high on this jacket. Didn't really wanna go much over the $200 mark (as in I'm poor now after my helmet purchase!)

2009_Tour_Master_Sonora_Air_Jacket_Hi-Visibility_Yellow.jpg

Dad has had the Intake Air and the Intake Air 2. He loved them both. I gave him the Intake Air right after he got his FJR and he was wearing it when he crashed in late '08. It worked very well. I will go so far as to say that it saved his spine, the back protector really did its job. He still rides with the Air 2 and it is the ONLY motorcycle jacket he owns. He loves it. If he had it to do over, the Sonora would be the jacket as he and I both prefer the 3/4 length.

Dad has had the Intake Air and the Intake Air 2. He loved them both. I gave him the Intake Air right after he got his FJR and he was wearing it when he crashed in late '08. It worked very well. I will go so far as to say that it saved his spine, the back protector really did its job. He still rides with the Air 2 and it is the ONLY motorcycle jacket he owns. He loves it. If he had it to do over, the Sonora would be the jacket as he and I both prefer the 3/4 length.
Very cool to be able have your Dad ride with you AND I'm glad he was OK in his mishap. I hope I like my Sonora as much as he likes his A2 :)

Pulled trigger for a Tour Master Sonora Air Hi-Viz, $200 shipped from Sunrise Honda eBay store. They have all sizes if you contact them.
I liked the 3/4 size with additional tail-piece coverage, Revzilla & MCSS reviews were all very high on this jacket. Didn't really wanna go much over the $200 mark (as in I'm poor now after my helmet purchase!)

A number of the local NERDS have that jacket and like it a lot. It also has the 2 part liner system, as I recall. I'm sure you will be happy with it.

A number of the local NERDS have that jacket and like it a lot. It also has the 2 part liner system, as I recall. I'm sure you will be happy with it.
...and now an "out of towner NERD" has one :)

I can't get my g/f (Debbie) on the Hi-Viz kick however. She goes by looks and says that the "lime-green" (lol) just ain't got it. She has to have purple, hope all my HV stuff supersedes her poor visibility (both ways) :)