Looking for alternative to the Iron Butt

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cal24Master

Reaction score
For those of you who are interested in the IBR, but find the chances of getting in slim, or the cost daunting, or maybe just the timing is wrong, you may want to check this out:

The 10 N 10 is being run by Utah 1088 Rally Bastard Supreme, Steve Chalmers. You can check out the link here: Utah 10 N' 10

It is a 10 day rally without many of the restrictive rules of the Iron Butt, a much simpler format, but all the fun.

It is about 1/3 the cost of the Iron Butt, and offers the chance to earn a IBA 10-10ths certificate for going 10,000 miles in 10 days. There are going to be several Iron Butt veterans, including myself participating, so it should be a good time.

It would also be fun to flood the field with FJR's!

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish.

Lot's of time to do it, just don't have a job.

If I signed up for this right now, I'd be bunking at your place. I snore.

Aside from my issues -

When I got the email about this one, I was so tempted. Pull a 10/10ths while grabbing bonii, visiting SLC, and being exposed to that sneering grinning beaming smile of the Rally Bastard. It just doesn't get any better than that!

If there's anyone out there that really wants a strong personal challenge, this is one way to do it. I would suggest that you get your tail signed up right now, then start prepping. I might also suggest sacrificing a virgin (virgin what, I have no idea) to the Rally God. Or the flying spaghetti monster. Or whomever.

Tom, I don't know if Mr. Chalmers has done this one before, but it seems to have the trappings of an "even year" tradition in the making.

Wish I could be there.

That is exactly what I'm looking for. I would love to parcipate in IBR 2011 but with slim chance of being drawn from so many applicants, I'm more inclined to do something like this.

The 10-n-10 will be a massive good time...... if you ever wanted to know what a multi-day Endurance event is like, you should consider this one.

And IIRC, the entry fee is less than half of what the IBR entry fee is, so that is another incentive to consider.

From the 10-N-10 flyer:

The premise of this rally will be simplicity. We won’t have a small paperback novel of rules for you to read, just a couple of pages. You won’t have to purchase specific equipment in order to ride this event; you can use what you already own in most cases. And most importantly, you won’t have to take out a second mortgage on the shrinking value of your home in order to pay the entry fee.
As in other MERA sponsored multi day events, all bonus locations, check points, and point values will be known to the riders 30 days prior to the start of the rally. You will be able to spend all the time you want perfecting your route, even asking all your buddies for help. You can use any electronic device you own in order to optimize your route. All prior to the start of the rally. When you’re satisfied that you have the perfect route for your riding style, then just print off a couple of copies and bring it with you to checkin.

One copy is for you. . .the other is for the rallymaster. While we don’t expect the rider to go to each and every bonus location on their route, we will use it as a guide so that we know where the rider should be in the case of an emergency.

There are also rumors of the Butt Lite rally by Team Strange and the SPANK rally by George Zelenz. Both of these have been around 7 days in prior years. Rumors on the Butt Lite rally are that the theme will be "Unplugged," evoking a simpler time before GPS devices...

The 10 N 10 is being run by Utah 1088 Rally Bastard Supreme, Steve Chalmers. You can check out the link here: Utah 10 N' 10
Tom, this sure looks to be a great rally and some good fun.

Do you know if they'll be an "Open Bar"??? (after the rally)

That might very well be the deal maker/breaker for this hick from Nevada.

Hey, don't forget the Candy Butt Association 100! :lol:

Oh, and RJ? Of course there will be a bar involved... just sayin'....

Tom, this sure looks to be a great rally and some good fun.

Do you know if they'll be an "Open Bar"??? (after the rally)

That might very well be the deal maker/breaker for this hick from Nevada.
I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth, especially Chalmers, but the open bar concept has been a Utah tradition for some time so I wouldn't be surprised. But John, even is Steve doesn't do it, I'll buy you a couple drinks. How's that?

As for FJR's in it, I am in and I'm working on Alan Barbic. I'm sure there will be a few.

I've already been gone for a week and I'm still 3000 miles from home, wait till I tell the wife about this next ride. This will take a lot of coaxing. I'd like to do it.

Hey, don't forget the Candy Butt Association 100! :lol: Oh, and RJ? Of course there will be a bar involved... just sayin'....
I'm assuming there would be a minimum of 100 miles per day but not more than

150 (gasp for air) for 10 days of flower sniffin

rides followed by candy butt massages for the long days :yahoo: . No night riding allowed

either I hope, :rolleyes: .

doctorj

Tempting. Very, very tempting......
Yep, I know how you feel BC.. 100 miles a day for 2 complete days.. GASP... :lol:

I've already been gone for a week and I'm still 3000 miles from home, wait till I tell the wife about this next ride. This will take a lot of coaxing. I'd like to do it.
Tell her that the CBA provides free food and good looking young studs at the finish line (me?) :unsure:

Hey, don't forget the Candy Butt Association 100! :lol: Oh, and RJ? Of course there will be a bar involved... just sayin'....
I'm assuming there would be a minimum of 100 miles per day but not more than

150 (gasp for air) for 10 days of flower sniffin

rides followed by candy butt massages for the long days :yahoo: . No night riding allowed

either I hope, :rolleyes: .

doctorj
Now there's by CBA doode.. but, respectfully said, of course, Dr J, what's this 10 days in a row all about? :rolleyes:

Edit - don't anyone take this seriously - what the OP said is very considerable and sounds like much fun - I'm just joshing with all you non LDR contigent riders.. and some day soon I'll actually hold a CBA central-kali coast ride. Until then, remember that Prep H is your friend.. :eek:

" what's this 10 days in a row all about"

I think I was just on a sugar high (common for candy butt peeps) and had been reading the iron butt thread.

What could I have been thinking? One too many zeros in that post for sure. :rolleyes:

doctorj

(really do have IBA #9339, hehe)

I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth, especially Chalmers, but the open bar concept has been a Utah tradition for some time so I wouldn't be surprised. But John, even is Steve doesn't do it, I'll buy you a couple drinks. How's that?
As for FJR's in it, I am in and I'm working on Alan Barbic. I'm sure there will be a few.
I am in on a 1992 BMW K75 /2. It was built long before BMW mucked up the FD design/assembly somewhere about 1997 with the introduction of the Oilheads. I'm not so sure my bike is in the hopeless class, but my body sure is!

Jim Puckett

Beaumont, TX

But John, even is Steve doesn't do it, I'll buy you a couple drinks. How's that?
Well like you say, from gauging from the 1088, I doubt there is much to worry about on this subject. But having your backup is good insurance.

Last year I had to back out of the "Run What You Brung". Real life stuff with new house, new baby, yada yada -and this rally were all happening on top of each other. I drew straws and the house and baby stayed and the rally was out.

Missing that rally was the single biggest disappointment in my riding tenure.

When this one was announced I wanted to ...but "10 Days" was tough to swallow for me.

Well, I'm now re-thinking that and I'm very much getting a very very very strong itch to to this. In fact, I think it is much more than likely and I'm working to make a solid commitment come soon.

BTW Tom, if we should meet up by chance on this rally, I owe you a billion miles of slab to get to a tiny little bonus. We'll then be even [insert giggle here].

I guarantee this will be fun and TOUGH. Having just completed my first IBR in only 8800 miles in 11 days, I think 10 in 10 is no easy feat, especially when you throw in rally stress. Fortunately, those of you reading this message will be running FJRs so there will be no mechanical issues to add to your discomfort.

Do It!

Hopefully no mechanical issues Jerry. :unsure: Just do it RJ! And don't bring the strom either.

There's nothing hopeless about a K75 Jim. I look forward to meeting you in SLC.

And yes, I'm in too. Guess I better put some matches in the FJR's kit. Never know when RJ will need a light.

Hopefully no mechanical issues Jerry. :unsure: Just do it RJ! And don't bring the strom either.
There's nothing hopeless about a K75 Jim. I look forward to meeting you in SLC.

And yes, I'm in too. Guess I better put some matches in the FJR's kit. Never know when RJ will need a light.
I'm in, on PR2s! None of this darksider nonsense for me, I need all the help that that cute lil bib is offering. RJ, have no fear, with me the bar is always open.

Latest posts