Looking for durable practical motorcycle type boots

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRBluesman

Some call me... The STIG!
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I have a dilemma (I know like you didn't already know that). I ride everyday to work and walk about 1/4 mile from the parking lot to my office. I used Harness boots and Engineer boots in the past. My boots last about 3 years on average. The harness boots have marred my aluminum kick guards by the foot pegs. Some Engineer boots have too big a toe and it makes it hard to get your toes under the shifter. I'd like to get away from the Harness and engineer boots for reasons I just mentioned.

I have had other great riding boots, numerous Alpinestars, etc, great for riding, not for walking though.

So, what boots are out there that can be easy to slip into and remove, durable and comfortable for walking distances, and will last a few years?

***EDIT***

OK. I feel I need to slightly edit this to add more info.

First I want to thank everyone for their input, great stuff… even from Barry. The guy cares so much, he found me my favorite color boots, with hearts.

I like the shorty buckle boots but I want more protection in weather. I also like many of the other motorcycle style boots TM, Oxtar Matrix II, etc, but I don't believe the soles will last. I do like the Cabela's boots and other work type boots, but the nearest Cabela's is in Reno, NV, to try them on.

I know I'm asking for the perfect boot and it probably doesn't exist… yet. I currently use Alpinestars SMX for non-commuting ride days, etc.

I want to wear my commuting boots everyday, walk my 1/2 mile round trip in them. I remove them at work and put on work shoes (I don't wear them at home). I want to be able to use these year round, rain or shine (Michael it rained most of last week and I rode in it with my old harness boots, but you're right, it shouldn't rain. ;) ), and I don't want to buy a new pair every year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out these AXO boots. Although they are not technically boots, but more like half boots. But they are really nice. I have been thinking about getting a pair, then I saw BeemerDon wearing them in Taos. They tighten like ski bindings, easy on and easy off. Look to be really well made. You may want to drop Don a IM to ask about these AXO boots. Also, if you are not in a real hurry, you can usually find these on sale if you check around.

AXO Boots

Just so happens these are on sale right now within this link!!!

I have a pair of RedWing motorcycle boots. They come up past the ankle, have a zipper up the outside to make them easy to get on and off. They are as heavy at a good pair of hiking boots. I've had them for 5 years now and wear them if I'm out on the highway for a day trip or longer. For trips in the city where I am walking around lots, I wear a pair of good hiking boots that come up over the ankle. Probably not as good as a pair of riding boots, but I rarely wear motorcycle pants in the city anyway.

I just checked the Redwing.com website, and they don't sell my boots anymore. The ones the have are like a general pair of hiking boots anyway.

ian

I got yer back Simon..

After an exhaustive search, not to mention 12 beers, half a carton of butt's, and two hours past my bedtime.... I found these.

Just the Boots for a friend, who, I would hope will someday be able to repay me :huh:

5.jpg

No thanks needed Simon. Anything for a buddy ;)

:jester:

From the information I've found, most MC specific boots are not very practical for walking any distance. There's generally not enough arch support built in the boot or they're too stiff around the ankle. I use Red Wing Lace Up that are either 8" or 9" tall. Mine are the pair pictured in the middle. Don't see them listed in the link though. They have smaller toes, great support and are completely waterproof when kept treated, especially around the sole stitching. Although they're not as easy on and off as MC boots, the comfort outweighs the inconvenience for me. Mine are approaching ten years old and are still great.

Good luck with the search.

--G

Motorcycle specific boots can be pricey but do provide extra protection around the ankle which most work type boots do not.

That being said, I wear safety shoes with gore-tex (waterproof), usually lace up and basically as tall as they're offered, usually ~8-11" such as these:

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Bargain-Cave/Footwear/Mens-Work-Western|/pc/105591780/c/105751080/sc/105754680/Cabelas-GORE-TEX174-Steel-Toe-Badlands-934-Lacer/721999.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fbargain-cave-footwear-mens-work-western%2F_%2FN-1102786%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_105754680

Sorry, I don't know how to do the clicky link thing..........

Cabelas Bargain Cave; I I get good wear, they are absolutely dry, and good to ride and walk in as well. I also believe they provide pretty good protection. I have had the best luck with Gore-tex only; I had one set with the dry-plus, and they developed a leak in short order, so only GT for me from now on.

Last winter, I bought a set of - not sure - butt something like 2000 gram insulate liner for those really cold days; they're monsters, but do the job! I've only worn them a time or two, but again, got them on sale out of the bargain cave so no big deal.

As always, YMMV, IMO, etc.....

Oxtar Matrix II now sold by TCX as Type V or something. Great boots-waterproof and comfy too.

doctorj

I'm another Cruiser Works fan. I've had mine since 2002 and have had them rebuilt several times. Totally waterproof.

Oxtar Matrix II now sold by TCX as Type V or something. Great boots-waterproof and comfy too.

doctorj
Ditto on the TCX. They've kept my feet dry while riding through tropical storms and they are comfortable enough for walking short distances.

I've been wearing the TourMaster Solutions since I got the FJR. They are lightweight, waterproof, have a toe pad for the shifter, are very comfortable, feel like slippers, and the lower priced of the TourMaster line.

I also got the Tourmaster Solution WP boot, and find them really comfortable. I've walked quite a bit in them and have had no problems. For around 120 bucks from New Enough, if they wear out after a few years, I'll buy another pair.

doctorj
Ditto on the TCX. They've kept my feet dry while riding through tropical storms and they are comfortable enough for walking short distances.
These are what I'm getting..
+1, I'm on my second pair of these, they do everything they say about them. Last pair lasted around 3 years of heavy usage, the sole on the left boot got worn enough to make it a slippery and no one I asked could do anything to repair/replace the sole (I always put my left foot down at stops, with the right foot on the rear brake).

+1 on the Solutions by TM...I have worn them riding all day and walking in them too.

They really are a comfortable pair of waterproof boots; warm in winter, and not sweaty during the summer.

I have a set of TourMasters, and yes they are comfie, but I don't feel protected in them? Too soft of leather, the bottoms and ankles don't have much there in case of a slap down. IMHO of course..

I have a dilemma (I know like you didn't already know that). I ride everyday to work and walk about 1/4 mile from the parking lot to my office. I used Harness boots and Engineer boots in the past. My boots last about 3 years on average. The harness boots have marred my aluminum kick guards by the foot pegs. Some Engineer boots have too big a toe and it makes it hard to get your toes under the shifter. I'd like to get away from the Harness and engineer boots for reasons I just mentioned.

I have had other great riding boots, numerous Alpinestars, etc, great for riding, not for walking though.

So, what boots are out there that can be easy to slip into and remove, durable and comfortable for walking distances, and will last a few years?
These are my commute to work and short ride boots. EZ on and off (because if they were not I am afraid I would wear something stupid on a short rides) good for moderate distance walking and fair protection. They are a little warm if you plan to walk in them all day. Not sure about 3 years of life. I have them a couple years in the short season country and I wear other boots as well.

https://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/6/3/1006/ITEM/Thor-Motocross-50-50-Boots.aspx

Well since everyone is chiming in, and you weren't that specific with your needs, here's my fav boot that will work for riding and walking...

https://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/36/18454/ITEM/Sidi-Slash-Riding-Shoes.aspx

Not inexpensive. But the sidi's, at least this size have been a long long time favorite. At first I thought these would be too loose at the top (reviews indicated that), but they aren't. That looseness at the top makes them easier to walk in. But the tightness around your foot is what keeps them on no issues.

Combat boots they are not though.

I have a set of TourMasters, and yes they are comfie, but I don't feel protected in them? Too soft of leather, the bottoms and ankles don't have much there in case of a slap down. IMHO of course..
Which model boot is that Don?

I have a ~ 2 year old pair of TM Solutions that seem pretty substantial with good ankle protection.

Maybe not all TM boots are the same? :unsure:

PS - I really like the idea of those Air Techs. Are they significantly cooler in the summer? One would think so.