Looking for opinions on a nice helmet

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradman

When Life Throws You A Curve..... Lean Into It
Reaction score
I have a modular/full face HJC helmet now and I like it, but it doesn't fit me perfectly and I would like to get one with blue tooth technology. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for a DOT approved helmet like this.

I want to be able to answer phone calls or use an Ipod. I guess I want speakers on each side of the helmet.

Any information and places to buy would be really appreciated. I probably need an XL size if someone on here has one for sale.

Thanks

I have a modular/full face HJC helmet now and I like it, but it doesn't fit me perfectly and I would like to get one with blue tooth technology. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for a DOT approved helmet like this.
I want to be able to answer phone calls or use an Ipod. I guess I want speakers on each side of the helmet.

Any information and places to buy would be really appreciated. I probably need an XL size if someone on here has one for sale.

Thanks

Find a store that carries lots of brands. Try them on till you find the right one. I end up with Arai.

For bluetooth i went with the G4.

Josh

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks

Find a store that carries lots of brands. Try them on till you find the right one. I end up with Arai.

For bluetooth i went with the G4.

Josh

Okay, I'll do that. I did try some on yesterday at the dealership, while they were changing my front tire. I was hoping not to break the bank, but helmets are really expensive. I was surprised.

While it's true that more expensive helmets probably don't for the most part protect you any better, there's definitely a difference in venting and quality. Try a Shoei X-11 or Arai, then order one online.

While it's true that more expensive helmets probably don't for the most part protect you any better, there's definitely a difference in venting and quality. Try a Shoei X-11 or Arai, then order one online.

Those are the two that I seemed to like the best at the dealership. Thanks for the information.

When all else fails, get something that looks cool.

darth_vader_mr_helmet.jpg

I just bought a Shoei RF-1100 ($329) to replace a RF-1000 (which is starting to get stinky - cant remove the pads to wash).

I was surprised how much more comfortable it is then the RF-1000.

I just bought a Shoei RF-1100 ($329) to replace a RF-1000 (which is starting to get stinky - cant remove the pads to wash).
I was surprised how much more comfortable it is then the RF-1000.
The RF 1000 fits me well. It's a quiet helmet, and fairly light. The price is certainly right with newer models being released.

Yes it sucks not being able to remove the head pad. I've found that some watered down shampoo, rinse wet vac then repeat, keep things "unfunky".

I've added a J&M Bluetooth set up to the helmet. It all works great for a $400.00 investment.

Thanks for the information guys, I'm definitely in the market. My current helmet is a HWC hand me down from another motorcycle purchase.

Come up to Columbus sometime and go to the Iron Pony's super-duper-store. (They're in an old K-Mart store - it's all moto stuff.) They have so many helmets there that your head will spin.

And bring a credit card with lots of room...

My favorite video I like to pass along to those looking for helmet info.

https://www.araiamericas.com/default.aspx?pageid=160

Also, if you're looking at Arai, understand that they make several models with each designed to accommodate a different head shape. Long Oval, Intermediate Oval, Round Oval, so if one doesn't work for you, chances are another will.

I'm definitely an Arai Guy. I've got 4 of 'em! I'm trying to figure out how to wear them all at the same time! :p

Come up to Columbus sometime and go to the Iron Pony's super-duper-store. (They're in an old K-Mart store - it's all moto stuff.) They have so many helmets there that your head will spin.
And bring a credit card with lots of room...

Hey,

Thanks for the invite! That would be awesome. Speaking of spending too much money, I was just thinking about what I've bought in a week.

PR2 Michelin front tire and install

Frame Sliders

Headlight bulbs

Manual on CD

Corbin seat

Crampmaster grip thing

Handlebar risers

I want a tank bag, but haven't decided for sure which one will work best for me.

So, it is probably a good thing I quit using credit cards a couple of years ago. I got tired of making other people rich and paying all that interest. Ha ha. :dribble:

Maybe one of these days I'll get up your way. I've never been to Ohio, so I need to see it. :)

My favorite video I like to pass along to those looking for helmet info.
https://www.araiamericas.com/default.aspx?pageid=160

I'm definitely an Arai Guy. I've got 4 of 'em! :p

That was a good video and I didn't know that he was a motorcyclist and a collector of fine bikes.

Leno? Do a search on "Jay Leno's Garage", a series he did on video. You'll see just the tip of the iceberg of his collection, one of the nicest in the world. He's a big motorcycle guy.

When I was last shopping for helmets I went to Naults in Windham, NH to try the helmets, expecting to go home and order them online. The sales guys on the floor were actually useful. (How did that happen?) Once we decided to go with Arai helmets the sales guys revealed that the Arai helmets have spacers in different sizes for a custom fit and fitted us for the correct size spacers. I actually felt a bit guilty about sucking up almost an hour of their time only to go buy off the internet :( Just on a lark I said to the sales guy that the prices at Naults was extremely high and I could get the same thing online for $xxx. I told them that I would much rather have my money stay in the local economy and asked if they could do anything about price matching. They said yes they could :blink: After a brief discussion with The Boss they came back and actually matched the web price! We ended up getting two top line Arai helmets, properly fitted with two cheek pad sets for basically the price of one helmet. Naults threw in the cheek pads which were ~$40/set.

If you find something you like in a shop, ask about their pricing! Even if they come down just a little and you avoid shipping costs the final price may be acceptable. Help your local bricks & mortar guys stay in business.

If you find something you like in a shop, ask about their pricing! Even if they come down just a little and you avoid shipping costs the final price may be acceptable. Help your local bricks & mortar guys stay in business.
Hmmm a trip to Naults might be in order...thanks for the info

Willie