Looking for opinions on a nice helmet

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I just checked it out. It turns out that the review page may have me back in an open face helmet again. Check out this swell helmet cover:

HelmetCover.jpg

Man, that would look sweet with my FJR. The forest rats would fear and respect me with this on!

Last edited by a moderator:
I want a tank bag, but haven't decided for sure which one will work best for me.
I got mine at, you guessed it, the Iron Pony one day - I can get there and back during my lunch hour. If you find one you like but want to test-fit it, ya just gotta grab one of the employees working the floor and they (should) go out with you to test-fit it.

Maybe one of these days I'll get up your way. I've never been to Ohio, so I need to see it. :)
Keep an eye out in the regionals - some of the guys get together now and then for an informal ride & gathering. One of these days I'm going to make it to one myself...

Yeah....love some of the reviews. They couldn't be farther off base for several that I've experienced. Sometimes I wonder if the reviewers have much of an IQ.

Also, if you're looking at Arai, understand that they make several models with each designed to accommodate a different head shape. Long Oval, Intermediate Oval, Round Oval, so if one doesn't work for you, chances are another will.
do they make models for pinheads, sh**heads, meatheads, fatheads, Dead-heads etc?

Also, if you're looking at Arai, understand that they make several models with each designed to accommodate a different head shape. Long Oval, Intermediate Oval, Round Oval, so if one doesn't work for you, chances are another will.
do they make models for pinheads, sh**heads, meatheads, fatheads, Dead-heads etc?

No...those kinds of people should go real fast and never wear helmets. B)

No...those kinds of people should go real fast and never wear helmets. B)

I wonder if the sh**heads get a discount?

Come up to Columbus sometime and go to the Iron Pony's super-duper-store. (They're in an old K-Mart store - it's all moto stuff.) They have so many helmets there that your head will spin.
And bring a credit card with lots of room...

I'm definitely an Arai Guy. I've got 4 of 'em! I'm trying to figure out how to wear them all at the same time!
If you've got a head that fits into an arai........buy it.......If one of their helmets fit you, you wont find a better made product. I'm lucky, all the arai's fit me. I doubt if i will ever own anything else. Its simply just that much better than the competition. Theres no doubt that you'll pay a price for one of these units, and you'll never look back.

GreyGoose

Come up to Columbus sometime and go to the Iron Pony's super-duper-store. (They're in an old K-Mart store - it's all moto stuff.) They have so many helmets there that your head will spin.
And bring a credit card with lots of room...

I'm definitely an Arai Guy. I've got 4 of 'em! I'm trying to figure out how to wear them all at the same time!
If you've got a head that fits into an arai........buy it.......If one of their helmets fit you, you wont find a better made product. I'm lucky, all the arai's fit me. I doubt if i will ever own anything else. Its simply just that much better than the competition. Theres no doubt that you'll pay a price for one of these units, and you'll never look back.

GreyGoose

I'm checking on them today. Thank you

I'd have to disagree with the comments about Arai. I've owned one and a friend of mine has owned a couple and they have all had the vents fall off of them within the first 2 years of use. Arai does have a great warranty and great customer service but you are paying for a name that doesn't represent as high of quality as some would have you believe.

If you want a great helmet at a great price look at a Shark.

And as far as webbikeworld reviews go, I love that place and they have always been spot on for everything I have ever researched and bought to include the Shark Helmet.

Whatever you do, make sure you get a helmet that fits your shaped head. I am a long oval headed guy and have went through way too many "round" helmets to have learned that lesson.

I'd have to disagree with the comments about Arai. I've owned one and a friend of mine has owned a couple and they have all had the vents fall off of them within the first 2 years of use. Arai does have a great warranty and great customer service but you are paying for a name that doesn't represent as high of quality as some would have you believe.
If you want a great helmet at a great price look at a Shark.

And as far as webbikeworld reviews go, I love that place and they have always been spot on for everything I have ever researched and bought to include the Shark Helmet.

Whatever you do, make sure you get a helmet that fits your shaped head. I am a long oval headed guy and have went through way too many "round" helmets to have learned that lesson.

Gotcha, I'll check them out. Thanks :)

I second the opinions on the Shoei RF1100. I have always worn Shoei since it just fits my head so well. On this model I did buy the 33mm cheek pads rather than keep the stock 35mm that came in the helmet - it was just a tad too tight with the redesigned inner liner. I also use a BlueAnt F4 Interphone for bluetooth. The sound on this unit is the best I have heard and I have no issues having a phone conversation at freeway speeds. Of course, each head differs! :lol:

If you find something you like in a shop, ask about their pricing! Even if they come down just a little and you avoid shipping costs the final price may be acceptable. Help your local bricks & mortar guys stay in business.
All online places now are doing free shipping over a certain amount. I agree to keep brick and mortar in business, but the tax avoidance is always a plus for me!

Tax? Whazzat?

NH: Live Free or Die --Tax free since... forever, unlike Taxachusetts.

If you want a great helmet at a great price look at a Shark. And as far as webbikeworld reviews go, I love that place and they have always been spot on for everything I have ever researched and bought to include the Shark Helmet.
Same here. Got an S900 based on this review:

https://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/shark-s900/

Yes, for years I was also trying to fit a slightly oval head into a round hole---the Shark has a kind of oval shape, so they say, and it fits my noggin perfecto. Click on Revzilla to see pricing and videos of how to measure your head! Revzilla link for Shark I like the flip down internal sun visor feature on the S900 a lot. Quality seems outstanding.

Nothing is better than a brick store that will meet or come close to internet pricing. Since you don't see a lot of Sharks on the shelf, at least there is good web material to help you out. Main thing is: the FJR looks like a shark. Thus 'Shark' helmet completes the theme.

Yeah....love some of the reviews. They couldn't be farther off base for several that I've experienced. Sometimes I wonder if the reviewers have much of an IQ.
Haven't had my IQ or even my ID checked lately, but I am one of the WbW reviewers. Each of us has real careers, most are getting a bit gray, and the guy who owns WbW (Rick) tries very hard to get group opinions and run an honest site.

We basically get to pass around new stuff to play with. Financially, the hits and advertising basically get it just past break-even, especially after a portion goes to charity. This isn't "BigTime Publishing Inc" or like some of the magazines that pimp products for manufacturers. We actually buy most of the stuff retail. For example, I'm sure that one manufacturer hated a topbox piece that I wrote. The original title was "A fail, even on sale" :D

Rick's concept was to see each review broken into the same categories (helmets have fit/finish, shape, noise, etc) and have competing products grouped so that a reader can compare them. I guess that none of us fit you ergonomically. Oh well, we tried.

If you like the site, visit often and buy the stuff at the WbW store so we can buy more toys to play with.

I mean - to collectively and objectively review more items for your education and pleasure.

:D

btw to Yambone - After the review was done, I bought my son the very Shark S900 that you linked to in your post. He loves it too.

During my helmet woes and searches, I tried a multitude of helmets.

Fitment first, I found most Italian helmets were just too small, and did not come in XXXL. (Yea yea)

The proper fitment then price and yankee doodle dandy _opinionated performance.

I like webbikeworld, and before buying anything I google their reviews.

After reading reviews and different extensive articles and this forum threads on helmets, I settled on the GMAX 44 modular,

and have been very pleased with it for the most part.

Fitment was perfect, construction is sound and reasonably quiet, and price was a bonus also. As I purchased a $$$ helmet first, and it did not fit at all, ended up selling it on Ebay.

Good luck and make sure it matches the bikes color scheme...okay..bright yellow matches any safety color scheme for some.

My Oneal has bluetooth built in. Clicky

PROS: Fits like a glove, is light, I can actually feel the air moving inside and is fairly quiet.

CONS: It can be a bit tricky to get the bluetooth to pair for the first time. Helmet speakers are just okay.

I have a modular/full face HJC helmet now and I like it, but it doesn't fit me perfectly and I would like to get one with blue tooth technology. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for a DOT approved helmet like this.
I want to be able to answer phone calls or use an Ipod. I guess I want speakers on each side of the helmet.

Any information and places to buy would be really appreciated. I probably need an XL size if someone on here has one for sale.

Thanks

Find a store that carries lots of brands. Try them on till you find the right one. I end up with Arai.

For bluetooth i went with the G4.

Josh

Okay, I'll do that. I did try some on yesterday at the dealership, while they were changing my front tire. I was hoping not to break the bank, but helmets are really expensive. I was surprised.
My Shoei X11 is the most comfortable helmet I have ever had! Can't comment on electronic add ons in it, I avoid them.