Looking For PCIII Maps

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks! Yeah, it used to be a piece of cake to link to Photobucket, then it started giving me the error message. I'll try your way next time.

The boys are fine...rotten, but fine! How about yours?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have a little jerkiness left going from closed throttle to opening, try adding a value in the "0" throttle position up to 2200 RPM. Ahchiu figured that out and it really smoothest out that transition. IIRC he put in a value of 10, but you can experiment with that. That table is a spreadsheet that is adding or subtracting from the baseline map the FJR computer has. Just click on the cell and type in the value you want to try.
Interesting. I was going to ask about the +25 values in the zero throttle column of not2shabby's map - wonder what they accomplish?

I think the FJR uses Decel Fuel Cutoff (DFCO). So zero fuel is injected when the throttle is closed and RPMs are above idle. The Dynojet website says the map numbers are a percentage increase (or decrease) in fuel injected for each map cell. So if we add 10 (or 20) percent to zero fuel injected, I would expect....zero fuel still injected. ('Zilla please check my math!
smile.png
)

So is Dynojet fibbing a bit about how the PC operates? Anyone know what is really going on in its little brain?

I got to thinking about that too after seeing the 25's except for the lower rpm range and wonder if 25 is an override for 0 fuel injected? I dunno.

And why does the stock map inject 0 fuel on decel anyway? It's like hitting the kill switch, that's why FI bikes are so jerky to begin with. Probably to meet the stupid emissions test.

...And why does the stock map inject 0 fuel on decel anyway? It's like hitting the kill switch, that's why FI bikes are so jerky to begin with. Probably to meet the stupid emissions test.
DFCO has been an OBD requirement for all vehicles for >15 years. It started showing up in a few car models in the late '70s. In another thread there is a discussion about ECU hacking.

The car guys I hang with are a lot like the Forum guys and we ISSCONE guys got a programmer and started rolling our own tune-ups and making other changes. Anyhoo, the mid 90's Impala SS factory set DFCO was on a timer that delayed cut off for 2.5 seconds so you could lift your foot and not get immediate DFCO. <secret> If the timer were set to 3.5 to 5 seconds the car became immensely easier to autocross. Shhh, don't let the EPA hear this. </secret>
laugh.png

So I wonder if the 25's are an override that delays the DFCO?

I know that Ivan's Performance came out with a device that prevented FCO on the Gen2 FZ1's.

If +25 is some kind of magic number to the PC, it is a well kept secret. I haven't seen any description of the cell values other than as percentage + or - of fuel. It rather begs the question how the PC could know the timing when to activate each injector if there is zero pulse width from the ECU. At any rate, I've been intending to tweak the PC-V map on my 2006, so I will add +10 values to the zero throttle column and see what the old derriere dyno has to say.

So Fred, have you ever given thought to how a PC might reduce fuel flow on a PWM injection system? It's easy to add fuel - you just measure the pulse width and keep on going for the set percentage of time. But you can't reduce a pulse width without knowing a-priori how long it lasts. Is it possible the PC measures the incoming pulse, and then once it completes, begins the pulse to the injector? I would have to think such an algorithm would screw up the fuel delivery due to the delay which is introduced.

Probably not safe to ramble like this on a Friday...

Ooops, I started another thread on the fuel-cut problem before seeing these last few replies......... maybe that thread can deal with ECU reflash and this thread about PC fuel maps. I too am intrigued by the +25, wondering why not below 2250 rpm (but that's OK).

Dredging this thread up from a well deserved sleep...

I finally got around to an experimental tweak of the map in my PC-V. I added +5 fuel to the zero throttle column from 1500 to 5000 RPM. The butt dyno thinks it does indeed smooth out the off-on throttle transition. At lower RPM it's darn near smooth as can be.

On a possibly related note, my fuel economy last tank absolutely stunk. About 32MPG commuting, down from about 40 (and 42 before the PC). Of course, the weather has been chilly and the FJR spends a good bit of my ~8 mile commute warming up. So cannot finger the new PC-V map, but I have a suspicion that adding enrichment in the zero column has partially or completely defeated the DFCO.

A41Billy, SInce I last rode with you I decided to try a new map as well. I seemed to be running very rich at low RPM's with sluggish throttle that had a "dead spot". My fuel comsumption was fine on long spirited rides but was horrid when commuting (my mpg was averaging in the low 30's). Going off some other's who had good results, I decided to use Wally's map from 0 - 3500 RPM. The rest of the map remained the Muzzy map numbers they provided. It's only been a couple days so I can't talk on mileage, but throttle smoothness, response, and power is MUCH improved in the lower RPM range. Since our bikes are so similar in aftermarket add ons, it might be worth a shot!

On a side note I know you were pretty happy with your performance and mileage when the O2 sensor was hooked up. I have heard that with the O2 hooked up the PCIII is bypassed. Does anyone know if that is 100% accurate? One reason I ask is the 4 into 1 map I recieved from Muzzy had in the notes that the O2 sensor was connected. I would have to believe that if having the O2 connected negated the PCIII the folks at Muzzy would have seen that when doing the dyno tune. Thoughts?

I have created a hybrid DJM of Wallys Smoothness and Muzzy map as you suggested. I will load it up shortly and see how it responds to the new map. O2 is disconnected.