Looking for Pilot Road 3

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it lasts an additional couple 1000mi i would be OK with paying $30 more.
First, it has been pretty much determined around here that the 'B' spec on the PR2 doesn't last any longer than the normal version. That from many reports.

Second, I wouldn't expect the PR3 to last any longer than the PR2. They center compound is the same hardness of rubber as the PR2. They did go to a softer edge area on the PR3 than the PR2. Which is good because I've never loved the PR2's handling.

And many of us are afraid that those extra sipes will lead to cupping, and the resulting loss of life.

Just because its newer, doesn't mean its better. Avon screwed up a great tire going from the Azaro to the Storm. Time will tell.

If it lasts an additional couple 1000mi i would be OK with paying $30 more.
First, it has been pretty much determined around here that the 'B' spec on the PR2 doesn't last any longer than the normal version. That from many reports.

Second, I wouldn't expect the PR3 to last any longer than the PR2. They center compound is the same hardness of rubber as the PR2. They did go to a softer edge area on the PR3 than the PR2. Which is good because I've never loved the PR2's handling.

And many of us are afraid that those extra sipes will lead to cupping, and the resulting loss of life.

Just because its newer, doesn't mean its better. Avon screwed up a great tire going from the Azaro to the Storm. Time will tell.
Avon's a lost cause. I had two bad tires from them and won't go back.

Luckily I won't need new tires until the end of the summer so there should be lots of evidence in by then.

One small data point - I ordered a pair of PR2's from Jake Wilson yesterday morning and they were delivered this morning before 10:00. I'm a little west of Reno, Nevada, so I'm pretty close (like 500 miles away, I guess), but still - that's fast. $254 delivered.