Looking for the heated grip connector on the 06

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
------------------

Where is that blue connector? If you are waiting for me, you may have to wait until after i figure out what to do about getting a g2 before i put on the new grips. It shouldn't be too hard to put a volt meter on the connectors...

-------------------

I measured voltage at the blue connector on mine and got nothing...even with the ignition key turned on.

I wired my Honda grips to the accessory jack in the left front pocket until I can find a better location. I bought a cigarette lighter plug at Radio Snack for about $2. It's also easy to unplug if I want to use the jack for anything else.

Steve

------------------Where is that blue connector? If you are waiting for me, you may have to wait until after i figure out what to do about getting a g2 before i put on the new grips. It shouldn't be too hard to put a volt meter on the connectors...

-------------------

I measured voltage at the blue connector on mine and got nothing...even with the ignition key turned on.

Steve
I did the same thing with the blue connector and got nothing also. Now that I'm reading this perhaps it is powered oONLY after the bike is started, like the headlights. I did not try this.

On the blue connector pictured above, I put a meter on it to see if I could use it for a relay for swicthed power. It was switched but only read .08 on the meter. Bike was not running though now that I think about it, just switched on. I'll meter it again next week when I button up all bike after my wiring job.
Where is that blue connector? If you are waiting for me, you may have to wait until after i figure out what to do about getting a g2 before i put on the new grips. It shouldn't be too hard to put a volt meter on the connectors...
Temp357,

Blue connector is tucked under the glove box.

sdrake,

the power port is only a 2 amp fuse, what's your power draw on the grips ? I'd think they'd draw more than that ??

Without looking at the AE, I'd be taking a guess on this...but it seems that the two connectors that v65 originally pointed out may be the two connectors that the factory controller connects to. If so, one of them should provide the necessary power to drive the heated grips. I'd be catious about just testing it out, since the manual shows a connection to the ECU as well. Wouldn't want to fry my ECU running a good 12V to it <_<

------------------Where is that blue connector? If you are waiting for me, you may have to wait until after i figure out what to do about getting a g2 before i put on the new grips. It shouldn't be too hard to put a volt meter on the connectors...

-------------------

I wired my Honda grips to the accessory jack in the left front pocket until I can find a better location. I bought a cigarette lighter plug at Radio Snack for about $2. It's also easy to unplug if I want to use the jack for anything else.

Steve
Try it with the bike running.

--------------------------------------

sdrake,

the power port is only a 2 amp fuse, what's your power draw on the grips ? I'd think they'd draw more than that ??

---------------------------------------

2amps? Yipes! The grips draw about 6 Amps initially at full power. I've not blown a fuse yet. Where did you find the 2A fuse spec?

I'm surprised too that some have connected (with success) the grips to the front brake light circuit which is certainly intended to be a low current application. I assumed that the power port would be designed for heated vest, gloves, jackets, etc ...i.e. higher current stuff.

Has anyone checked the blue connector voltage with the bike running ... not just with the ignition key turned one, but with the engine running?

Steve

but it seems that the two connectors that v65 originally pointed out may be the two connectors that the factory controller connects to
Nope, according to the wiring diagram they plug into the grips, the blue plug is one of the plugs for the controller. BTW, we know the blue plug has power, warmachine used it. Since it taps the headlight relay it should only be powered when the bike is on. It is the plugs I pointed out that are in question, and which one of these plugs is rated for the correct amps for heated grips.

temp makes a good point on testing around things connected to the ECU. When you test for voltage you are putting your piece of test equipment in parallel with the wiring. If your test equipment has too low a resistance, suddenly the whole circuit has a lower resistance. At least in cars, you can fry the "brain" doing this. Digital voltmeters have a very high resistance, and are the tool of choice for doing these tests. Using a test light is a no-no.

Did a search to see if anyone had found a source for connectors and ran across this thread extensively discussing "the blue connector".

Editing my post from here down...

I may have been wrong about the blue connector being signal only. Upon further investigation it seems that one lead does originate from the headlight relay and could be used as Yamaha intended it, for heated grip power. The schematic shows two connectors, one blue, one something else. I be damned if I can find "the other" connector yet.

Going to solicit the help of my not colorblind HD neighbor to verify everything.

Sorry for the mistake!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well,

One of the leads on the blue connector does carry voltage (only when the bike is running) and it did not blow a fuse with a full draw. It did not provide a good ground though.

Last edited by a moderator: