Looking to buy an FJR - Advice?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jodog

Reaction score
This thread will probably start a fight. I've been riding a harley since July of 09. I've put 35k+ miles on it and I want to get into more long distance biking. My Fat Bob just isn't up for that. I punishes the rider, especially after 300 miles. I did a saddlesore on it and that hurt. So for a noob question - How does one find a good used FJR, avoid overpaying, what years are the more popular/why? and where does one find aux fuel cells? That's probably more than I should ask in one thread.

This thread will probably start a fight. I've been riding a harley since July of 09. I've put 35k+ miles on it and I want to get into more long distance biking. My Fat Bob just isn't up for that. I punishes the rider, especially after 300 miles. I did a saddlesore on it and that hurt. So for a noob question - How does one find a good used FJR, avoid overpaying, what years are the more popular/why? and where does one find aux fuel cells? That's probably more than I should ask in one thread.
Consider the fight started, Gen IIs are the best with stiffer springs, outside air temp gage, 12V DC socket, and nicer/faster riders. :p

Look on Craigslist. This is where I found my 07 this year with 462 miles on it.

Do a search for fuel cells. A few guys have them. Buy a Russel seat for real all day comfort.

It's the right time of year to deal on a bike of sale. Supply and demand favoring the buyer in cold months.

Best way to search this forum is Google. Example provided HERE

The big difference for me, (what I consider the major upgrade) between Gen I and Gen II is EVERY Gen II is ABS (Gen I it has to have an "A" after 1300), and Gen II has about an extra 100 watts of electrical juice. Both have tons of aftermarket upgrades to make it as comfortable or powerful as you want.

Alexi

Consider the fight started, Gen IIs are the best with stiffer springs, outside air temp gage, 12V DC socket, and nicer/faster riders. :p
Any FJR is a great ride. That being said Gen1 Feej's are the superior bikes (2005's are the best bar none), Don't talk to ulewz he is a lewzer! :p
Popular? It's very sunbjective, up to you. I love my Gen1 (2003-2005) but other things on the Gen2 (2006 thru 2012) are appealing too.

I'd choose one w/ABS. Miles are well, it gets broken in around 30K (they go forever). More farkles are good too.

I'm not LD guy I drive around my parking lot at work and need to get a hotel, but get a new seat for LD rides, trust me.

There are many rides out there just look for your price range. Check Bin-O-facts and comparisons for which Gen is for you. Either way, I'm sure you'll be one satisfied customer. ;)

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
seriously

check the for sale list for bikes offered by forum members

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showforum=54

we've commonly had a forum member check out a bike near them for a fly and ride

I love my '04 gen 1 ... so much effort & $$$ are in the gen 1 farkles I'd definitely replace it with same with addition of the ABS option

but if starting over, i'd prob go gen 2 with the abs, less heat issues, and adjustible seat & bars

there are a few recalls to get done on the gen 2's though

best of luck and I have a continuous offer for anyone to visit new orleans for any reason with my offer of time and help

Sounds like I want a 06 or later with a slick fuel cell already on board, new seat, mirrors, garmin, radar, with a flip up shield, tour pack, and all for less than 5 grand. Hmmm. I'm betting someone else on here would scoop that deal up too :)

Thanks for the input. I'll check out the resources on here. A local shop has a 2010 used with 400 miles, bone stock. I can probably buy it for 11K or maybe do an even trade for my harley.

The later GENII's ('08 and up) offer improvements to the transmission, fueling and ABS system.

For used, I would look for a low mileage '08 and up bike, figure $7500 for a good example with 20k miles. Then farkle it out to suit your needs! OTOH, If you can buy an almost 'new' 2010 for $11k or less, you're doing equally well.

Good luck with the search!

--G

Sounds like I want a 06 or later with a slick fuel cell already on board, new seat, mirrors, garmin, radar, with a flip up shield, tour pack, and all for less than 5 grand. Hmmm. I'm betting someone else on here would scoop that deal up too :)

Thanks for the input. I'll check out the resources on here. A local shop has a 2010 used with 400 miles, bone stock. I can probably buy it for 11K or maybe do an even trade for my harley.
Having no idea what your LD Riding intentions are, and assuming you know the mileage and tank capability...

Most riders are "OK" with the distance capability of the FJR when you consider you do not need to worry about a gas station for 220+ highway miles.

Look in the for sale ads on this forum. Tomorrow you should jump on a plane to Tampa and give Chuck $10,800 for his 2010 with 700 miles on it. Ride it home it will be the trip of a lifetime. There is another beauty of an 08 at Southwest Superbikes in Dallas. It only has 492 miles on it. I talked to them before I bought my 06. They want too much. You will have to work on them a bit. It doesn't have the hard bags. Those hard bags are for sale here as well YukonG has some for $425.

My 06 decision was made based on my bank account and how much I didn't want to go into debt. I love my 06 that came with a PCIII, a G2 throttle tube and a Cal Sci wind screen. My first ride ever on an FJR was the day I bought it and the 300 miles home.

Joe

Don't let anyone scare you off of buying an AE model, either. Push button shifting is a dream.

CrabbyJack

weekend rider said:
Didn't fjr go to linked brakes in 2006 and the 2005's are the last year for abs? There is a major difference in operation.
2006 and up all have ABS, and all have some front brake operation from the rear brake pedal (not a fully linked system).

Not sure what you mean by a "major difference in operation". The ABS only operates if you've reached the limit of adhesion (and works well), the "linking" is so unobtrusive you don't know it's there. In my mind it just seems to add a bit of stability when rear-braking during slow manoeuvres.

Jodog, we need to talk! Seriously!! This past summer I completed an Iron Butt Rally (GBU) on my Road King. It damn near killed me! I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. So after 17 years on the Harley train I jumped off. After talking to all the hardcore IBA members, sitting on their bikes, and asking myself what I REALLY wanted to do; I got a 2007 AE model with 1500 miles on it from a wholesaler. It is the most unbelievable thing I have ever ridden. I have now spent the last 5 months trying to farkle it out and get it ready for the next rally season. Dont worry about the fuel tank just yet. I have a connection for you on that issue. First thing is get a bike and a new seat. Then ditch the stock tires and get some recommended by Warchild or Ignacio. The rest will fall into place. After slogging on that Fat Pig (sorry) Boy....lol. You wont believe what you can do on an FJR. Those corners that used to scare you at 60 with that WONDERFUL HD suspension will now smooth out at 90 on an FJR. Those fantastic (ick) HD brakes will be replaced with ABS dual disks!! One finger baby!! Can you see I am a total believer and convert? Of course now all my Harley "bros" will hardly acknowledge me, but that is the price to pay I guess. Someone mentioned the bike in Fla. I would jump on that as fast as I could. Contact him and for the price of a plane ticket; you can get in another Cert. ride on the way home! If you want some more nitty gritty pm me and we can talk off-list. Good luck in your purchase and Welcome! YOu have certainly come to the right place. By the way; have you noticed how many forum members are hard core IBA members? Our administrators for example? :) Tyler

while I love riding my '05 FJR (Gen I) the '06 and up (GenII) have had incremental changes made which overall improve the bike, and that is good. But the Gen II's are heavier and longer so they don't feel quite as sporty.

Unfortunately, the GenII's seem to be purchased mostly by old slow guy Posers who can only dream of being able to handle the lighter weight, speed and power of the Gen I's.

But us Gen I owners won't hold it against you if you decide to purchase a Gen II.

Git One..

Added heat issues on Gen I's may concern you if you don't like scorched legs. Less of (actually, for me, not) a prob with Gen II. You're gonna love either over that road zeppelin.

Love my 05, extremely farkled. You've come to the right place to learn about the FJR, however. There are guys here who have forgotten more than I'll ever know. One thing I do know: You'll enjoy the FJR!

Ingore most of what has already been said and listen to one who has been there, done that (except for the part about owning a HD...)

I put 80,000 miles on an '04 Gen 1. Loved every freakin minute of it. As my tag says, I accidently traded it a year ago for an '09 AE (auto clutch.) It took me a few days to get used to the lack of a clutch lever but my damaged left hand is VERY happy about it. The Gen II (has about 16k on it now) is better but different. It is not as quick but I think just as nimble (with PR2 or PR3 tires) as the Gen 1 in the twisties. I didn't have ABS on my '04, haven't used it yet on the '09 but ok with it being there just in case. I put a Rick Mayer seat on my '04 to save my a$$ and though the '09 was better, still replaced it with another Rick Mayer. Russell seats are great from what I hear but Rick's work for me (I've had three of his and one of his dad's.) I'm not getting the fuel milage with my Gen II that I was used to but not sure why; could be the gas quality, could be the AE, but still getting an average of 43+. Farkles? What are those? I only add the most necessary accessories...GPS, Trooper mod (cheap noise maker), etc. OH, heated grips are standard on the AE, very nice for those 20+ degree Texas winter mornings! Heat management is MUCH better on the Gen II, no more fried oysters but a little adjustment for summer vs winter riding.

Bottom line? They are both great bikes and offer different levels of satisfaction. One more thing: The black ones, including the silver charcoal AE, are the fastest!

Last edited by a moderator: