Loose lock on the saddle bags

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

Laconia 06 FJR

I just put 150 miles on my new bike and noticed the lock assembly came loose and fell off somewhere. I checked the other side and it was tight. Eveyone might want to check their screws on the bags.

Yikes!

This is not the first time that has happened. Why did it happen? Because your dealer failed to put locktite on the screws that hold the lock in place as they were supposed to do per the Yammie sidebag install instructions.

Unfortunately, dealers missing this step is common. That's why in the past their have been lots of traffic on this subject with the corresponding strong recomendation for everyone to locktite their own screws unless they know for sure that it was already done. It will require a securtiy torx bit, I believe a T-10, available at most auto parts stores.

Just be glad you didn't lose the entire sidebag, as with the lock gone, there is nothing to keep it from un-latching and eventually bouncing down the road as has happend to a few others.

The other bummer is you now lost a key matched lock which is not replaceable.

It's been said a million times already, but bares repeating once again:

Locktite those sidebag lock mounting screws folks!!!!

Thanks for the information. I just found this site a few days ago. I will be sure to catch up on my reading.

The other bummer is you now lost a key matched lock which is not replaceable
Actually, you can rekey one of those locks pretty easily. Take a look at this gallery if you want to see how.

https://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/helmetlocks
Fred,

There is what looks like a Torx fitting but it has a "nipple" in it which prevents a regular torx from fitting into it....is there a special tool required here?....or do you drill out the "nipple?"

I am actually trying to put lok on a new bag..

Ron

That is a security torx screw. They make a special torx security bit that has a hole in the middle of it.

You would probably ruin that screw if you tried to drill out the tab in the center of it. Call around to some tool stores and ask them if they carry Torx Security bits.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a security torx screw. They make a special torx security bit that has a hole in the middle of it.
You would probably ruin that screw if you tried to drill out the tab in the center of it. Call around to some tool stores and ask them if they carry Torx Security bits.
Gotcha...now it makes sense...Thanks...

Ron

I'm sure this is a stupid question for which there is no logical answer, BUT WHY THE HELL DOESN'T MAMAYAMA INSTALL THOSE DAMN THINGS AT THE FACTORY?

The bags are shipped seperatly.

The very same thing happened to me. After the thread locker was applied, problem solved. Seems like a design flaw to me. But what do I know.
It's not a design flaw, as Yamaha's assembly instructions specifically state to use locktite. It's a problem of ignorant/lazy dealers slapping bikes together as quick as they can without following the instructions.

Yes, I know they are shipped separately. That does not answer the question though. First, why do they ship them separately (and are you sure? I thought they were only shipped separately at the beginning of the year when the bags are running behind - I could be wrong though). Second, does this mean the locks are shipped with the bike to assure the keys match? That could explain it.

Thanks

Yes, I know they are shipped separately. That does not answer the question though. First, why do they ship them separately (and are you sure? I thought they were only shipped separately at the beginning of the year when the bags are running behind - I could be wrong though). Second, does this mean the locks are shipped with the bike to assure the keys match? That could explain it.

Thanks

IIRC they are shipped seperately because they are optional everywhere else, North America is the only market that gets them stock.

And yes, the locks are included with the bikes, so they match the key on the (already installed) ignition.

Slapnpop,

Been lookin' all over for the "How-To" on the bag locks, but after spending about

an hour on the site searching, I gave up...I want to ride, but I'll stay around

locally.

Any links on the "How-To" would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Jim

Slapnpop,
Been lookin' all over for the "How-To" on the bag locks, but after spending about

an hour on the site searching, I gave up...I want to ride, but I'll stay around

locally.

Any links on the "How-To" would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Jim
I think I still have the instructions that came with my bags in my workbench. If that is what you need, PM me and I'll fax it to you. You do need the security torx set. I got mine at Sears.pricey. And my memory says it was a #10 torx.....

It's quite easy

You'll need blue loctite, and a security torx bit of the appropriate size (I forget the number, but it's quite small and the set at autozone for $8 included the right size.) The security version has a small hole in the tip of the bit which the standard does not.

1. remove bag, and leave the lever with the lock in the fully opened position.

2. Locate and remove the two screws on the back of the lock barrel which hold the latch in place.

3. Apply loctite and re-install screws. (probably should just do them one at a time, so you don't drop/misalign the lock and latch)

It's all very obvious once you see the back side of the lock.

And for any EOM attendees, I'll have the bit and locktite available for anyone who wants to check their bags at the meeting.