Lost my key.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fhaze

Reaction score
Yes I am a dumbass. I have misplaced my key. I tore the place apart, and can't find it.

Does anyone know for certain if the Yamaha oem locking trunk key cylinder will work in the ignition? I want to get a key made from trunk cylinder.

I know the keys work ignition, bags, seat, and trunk...but what I really need to know is, if I take the trunk in to have them make me a key, if it will work in the ignition.

not the brightest move. since you have no spare i presume you have two choices. try having a locksmith make one and see if it works in the ignition. Or contact a dealer and see if they can somehow get the key code from yamaha and have one made.

but, assuming you do get one made and it works, make a spare and make sure to try it in all the locks to make sure it works. If you bought the bike used and know the prior owner, maybe he has that little tag with the key code on it somewhere. worth a try.

Yes I am a dumbass. I have misplaced my key. I tore the place apart, and can't find it.
Does anyone know for certain if the Yamaha oem locking trunk key cylinder will work in the ignition? I want to get a key made from trunk cylinder.

I know the keys work ignition, bags, seat, and trunk...but what I really need to know is, if I take the trunk in to have them make me a key, if it will work in the ignition.
don't feel too bad...it happens to the best of us...and the good news is the key didn't break flush in the lock like sometimes happens :ph34r:

why don't you take in a side bag instead...it definitely is the same key and lock from the factory

the top box/trunk uses a third lock that should be provided in case someone purchases the Yammy top box :clapping:

and, gee, you don't know if your ignition key works the bags or trunk...never opened the trunk, have you ??? :blink:

and you have no spare keys...gee...my used bike came with 2 and I had four or five more made in my local locksmith

he asked me to bring the bike with me so he could test the keys and be sure they worked OK

I keep a spare key on the bike at all times; <DO NOT ask WFooshee where I keep it however> :dribble:

really do hope this helps

Best,

Mike in Nawlins'

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys...yes the key I did have worked the trunk no problem.

Patriot...I can't get the side bag off w/o a key :)

I don't have the trunk on the bike, so I'll just take that in and hope for the best.

You may also want to try the key cylinder that locks the seat on. You should be able to get to it fairly easy.

And make several extras

Brilliant Idea! I read you can get the code from the ignition cylinder, but didn't want to go that route. Seat lock is much easier.

Im gonna try a local locksmith tomorrow with the trunk, if that fails, seat lock.

..and yes many extras will be purchased and given safe homes.

...this after only 20miles on new Hexacones.. :(

Im gonna try a local locksmith tomorrow with the trunk, if that fails, seat lock.
Here's hoping that works for you...

If not, maybe try another locksmith?

I stopped in at a local locksmith to get a key made from a blank without the plastic so I could carry it (a spare) better in my wallet. I didn't have the code tag (with the number stamped on it). The locksmith looked it up on a website and told me the code number (I wrote it down) -- when I got home I checked my spare key and code tag and he was right!

So, I'm guessing, a good locksmith can solve your problem? :unsure:

be careful...like lawyers :rolleyes: there are shark locksmiths :unsure:

I buddy's only key broke off inside the trunk lock

Quoted for fix was $100 down to $15

We went with a guy who has been in business forever for $25...and he stated he charges zero if he's unsuccessful

Some of these "businessman" stated you pay up front and whether it's successful or not

Sound's like some plumbers I wanted to unstop my drain

Crisis averted. Found the damn key in my bedroom trash can. I musta had a few too many Jamesons and emptied the contents of my pocket to the trash.

Jeebus, that sucked. I did call one guy local who said he was the only one who would touch it and that using the key code from the seat cylinder MIGHT not work in the ignition.

..welp..I won't have a chance to find out!

Thanks for all the advice guys I really appreciate it!

This thread finally provided the impetus for me to go and have spare keys made. The old hardware store tried their best, their duplicates opened the luggage but would not work in the ignition, no charge. Went to a local locksmith today and had 2 spares made. $5. Quite a bargain for the peace of mind provided. Now, where do I stow a spare? :rolleyes:

Hardy har har.

We have had people put the spare in the glove box, only to discover they couldn't open it when they lost the other key . . . .

I keep my spare in my pants pocket; you know, actually on my person, and the "live" key in my riding jacket pocket. Unless I'm locking the gear in the bags, in which case I have two keys in my pants pocket.

Hardy har har.
We have had people put the spare in the glove box, only to discover they couldn't open it when they lost the other key . . . .

I keep my spare in my pants pocket; you know, actually on my person, and the "live" key in my riding jacket pocket. Unless I'm locking the gear in the bags, in which case I have two keys in my pants pocket.
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...don't tell anyone...especially Walt above

and he didn't even mention if someone steals his pants, they get his key too...then what to do

well, I quit using a key (in the ignition) for my glove box when I discovered I could just wrap a finger around the lip and pull...snaps right open with no fuss, no muss

been doing that for years...I only store my clear safety glasses for night riding and a polishing cloth in there

oh, and don't accidently leave a key sticking out a Ma Yammy trunk...if someone walks by with bikes parked real close at the Pentagon lot waiting for Rolling Thunder parade, they might hit it and bend the key 90 degrees in the lock :ph34r:

good news, at least for a real Yamaha key, it probably will bend back and be usable and get you home...but good to store a spare key somewhere

oh yeah...I have a spare key taped to the bottom under a black piece of duct tape...sssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Crisis averted. Found the damn key in my bedroom trash can. I musta had a few too many Jamesons and emptied the contents of my pocket to the trash.
Jeebus, that sucked. I did call one guy local who said he was the only one who would touch it and that using the key code from the seat cylinder MIGHT not work in the ignition.

..welp..I won't have a chance to find out!

Thanks for all the advice guys I really appreciate it!
Stick a spare in yer wallet.

Hi guys just my dimes worth i c plenty of ways to get the key cut an i dont know if the us version r like the rest of the world but wot bout the security chip that has to be programed wit the red key as well otherwise the bike wont start

FWIW, if you take your registration or title into the dealer, (to prove you are the legal owner), they can usually look up the key code for your bike from the VIN and punch a key on the spot. Not the cheapest key you'll ever get made, but far less than the average locksmith and a true original key, not a copy.