Lost that ugly tail

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks sweet!
Sadly I need to go the other way. I'm thinking of stopping by a truck stop and see if I can pick up a mudflap so that my bike doesn't look like it has the runs.
Of course all these problems would be a non-issue with a hugger installed. On that note, has anyone come up with an affordable and fitting hugger for the JFR?
>>site<<
Alan thanks for the pics, i know of FSD, and have previously made the MISTAKE of ordering from these crooks as part of a GB on www.frjowners.com.

Their hugger for the Gen II is total CRAP, it does not even come close to fitting, the finish is terrible, basically a total waste of money. I had assumed the people on the FJR Forum were aware of the problems people experienced with FSD so didn't even bother mentioning them in my question about a hugger for the Gen II.

JamesK, while you were posting I was editing my post to add a link to Geelong. I believe I've read that the Geelong piece needs some trimming for best fit.

Power actuated from the cockpit, of course...
I believe there are a bunch of FJR owners that now have superfluous windshield motors, perhaps they can be transplanted into the tail.

Power actuated from the cockpit, of course...
I believe there are a bunch of FJR owners that now have superfluous windshield motors, perhaps they can be transplanted into the tail.
...adding a second, left-side control piece to control the second windshield motor to lower/raise the rear flap. :unsure: Added buttons could me used for other trick accessories. :yahoo: Maybe that second horn button would work for my flash-to-pass setup and the extra turn signal switch could actuate the outrigers on either side! No, then someone would want automatic/self-cancelling outriggers! :dribble:

I cut off the extended fender and added this black license plate holder/LED llight. Easy mod, there's a natural location to cut (dremel) the fender horizontally just below the plate bracket and easy contours from there onto the side. The stock license plate light dismounts easily and the wires are used to wire in the new frame with its incorporated LEDs. It attaches to the stock bracket but I mounted it via the two bottom holes instead of the top two in order to raise it - just as solid:
How does it look with the bags on - any pics? I like the look of it, but functionally I'm not so sure.. I've chopped my fenders on all my bikes, but the FJR seems like it needs the 'filler' between the bags to make the rear look good and not to mention the schmutz that with sans fender your arse is going to be quite dirty. :blink:

For the time being I'm keeping my fender.

Scott

Sorry, but I don't see how a hugger will keep the spooge off your back, or that of your passenger. It only covers the fender area, not the rear of the tire where the stuff gets slung up at you from. For that you need a big ugly fender extension... ;)
+1 on the question - can someone who has a hugger comment. I also don't understand how something covering only the front 1/2 of the tire protects from crap coming off the back... by the time its traveled far enough to get under the hugger, its not going to hit your back or taillights... or so it would seem to me.

From what I understand the huggers are only to protect the undertails that people install. The undertails are painted and without the hugger gravel and grit would be constantly thrown and chip that pretty paintjob.

Ok.... it's an old thread!

Any report on the possible rooster tail situation?

Does it REALLY happen or is this just fear mongering?

Got to know!!!!!

:ph34r:

The PO had done the tail bob when I bought my FJR last year. I wish I had that ugly shovel back, the amount of crap kicked up on the rear brake lights, even when riding through slightly wet roads is unacceptable to me. I am told Brake lights are important... :dribble:

Got to know!!!!!

Yes it does happen. The tail light gets really dirty.

I cut mine off just like two dogs did in the first post, and saved the piece that was removed. I really like the look of it, but 2 years later I've decided that I can't live with the dirt and stone chips, so I grafted it back on.

I took the piece that was removed and cut another 2 inches off the top.

Then cut the sides down to match the width of the cut fender by the license plate.

Then cut off 1" of the strengthening ribs on the underside, and ground down that protrusion that sticks out under the original plate local.

Then with a heat gun, heated the piece about 1" down from top and bent it about 45 degrees. So the piece would angle back instead of down.

Then heated it above the reflector and bent that down about 45 degrees, so it would be looking straight back again.

Then drilled the four holes by the plate threw it and mounted it between the plate and fender.

Here are a few pis. Bare with me, these pics are not good ones. I just went out and took some of them quick.

100_0260.jpg

100_0266.jpg

100_0502.jpg

100_0500.jpg

100_0501.jpg

100_0499.jpg

100_0503.jpg

I don't know if I like it yet , but it works. It does keep the dirt off the light.

Got to know!!!!!

Yes it does happen. The tail light gets really dirty.

I cut mine off just like two dogs did in the first post, and saved the piece that was removed. I really like the look of it, but 2 years later I've decided that I can't live with the dirt and stone chips, so I grafted it back on.

I took the piece that was removed and cut another 2 inches off the top.

Then cut the sides down to match the width of the cut fender by the license plate.

Then cut off 1" of the strengthening ribs on the underside, and ground down that protrusion that sticks out under the original plate local.

Then with a heat gun, heated the piece about 1" down from top and bent it about 45 degrees. So the piece would angle back instead of down.

Then heated it above the reflector and bent that down about 45 degrees, so it would be looking straight back again.

Then drilled the four holes by the plate threw it and mounted it between the plate and fender.

Here are a few pis. Bare with me, these pics are not good ones. I just went out and took some of them quick.

100_0260.jpg

100_0266.jpg

100_0502.jpg

100_0500.jpg

100_0501.jpg

100_0499.jpg

100_0503.jpg

I don't know if I like it yet , but it works. It does keep the dirt off the light.
Looks like a lot of work and has a different look. I think i'lll keep the not so attractive fender.

Thanks for the input.

:blink:

...and thanks for quoting the entire graphic intensive post in your 2 line reply.

:rolleyes:

(hint) just hit the addreply button at the bottom.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, if you have a 150 EUR burning a hole in your pocket the huggers are really nice and avoid the need for all the above messing around.

PO cut the fender off my new to me bike and I already have a replacement on order... About $125 for the part and $100 to install it.

I did my fender-ectomy shortly (as in about 3 weeks) after buying my bike almost 4 years and 45,000 miles ago and I have not suffered the ill effects mentioned. If it throws a rooster tail that's only a problem for the vehicle behind me - and while there is *some* splooge deposited on the tail, it is nothing significant.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...st&p=101539

ScooterG's comments notwitstanding, I have ridden through light rain, torrential downpours and more without any descernable drawbacks.

I cut off the extended fender and added this black license plate holder/LED llight. Easy mod, there's a natural location to cut (dremel) the fender horizontally just below the plate bracket and easy contours from there onto the side. The stock license plate light dismounts easily and the wires are used to wire in the new frame with its incorporated LEDs. It attaches to the stock bracket but I mounted it via the two bottom holes instead of the top two in order to raise it - just as solid:

Very clean and much improves the look of the Feejer. What did you use to make a good cut on the plastic?