Louder Horn any recomendations?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took me 5 minutes of searching, but no dog piling this kid (this time!) :p

I just replaced my Fiamms with the latest model, AM-80S from Napa.

Try searching to find napa freeway blaster horn part number. See if you can do it in less than 5 minutes and you win the prize.

disclaimer - prize to be announced at a very later date and maybe never.

And NO, returning this post does NOT count! (TWN!) :D

Howie's up to his avatar tricks again...................he must be bored
Yep... :) ...nothin' much to do but get ready for a high school football play-by-play tonight.

Sounds awful, but it's a ton of fun. #1 rated team in the nation...2005 National champs...'04 & '05 State Champs...these kids could kick the ass of ANY Division 2 college team.

It actually looked as though we were really welcoming the newbs to the house and were going to take the time to show 'em around.I am sure this is frustrating for the admins as the house has grown exponentially. It has to be overwhelming most of the time. But, that is why this place is the best.
+1scab.......some of us new guys need a little guidance once in a while.

And to keep on topic, so the admins stay happy>>>>>I've put high and low tone Freightliner horns on my '05 with a "homemade" weatherpak harness :D VERY LOUD!

Last edited by a moderator:
one of my first of not that many Farklekarkles...Magnum Blasters & Randy's harness.....watch your clearence inside your front fender area........magunums come with metal plates which you may want to use instead of stock...make sure you clear your cables in the fender.

Alright, ALRIGHT, DAMNIT! I confess. I like the dogpile, OK?

Besides, do you see what I look like? I am a dog, damn you! Woof!

-BD
Y'know, BD, if you had 5 miles for every post you'd made.....

BTW, I think I recall you saying you'd moved? You still in SoFla?
Hey! That's avatar plagiarism!! Funny, though!

Yepper, we moved from Deerfield Beach (just south of Boca) up to Wellington (southwest Palm Beach, emphasis on the west).

You in Titusville, IRC, no? I was up there this week, stopped by the Yamaha shop. They had an AE sitting on the floor, along with a Suzuki M109R, which is a sweet ride, IMO, even if it is a cruiser.

-BD

I'm looking for a louder horn for my FJR AE. Does anybody have any input or recomendations ????
Man, one post and he's toast. Oh well, as a matter of fact, I just began trying to install this Stebel Nautilus Compact horn. I believe it was Warchild that was trying to fit a pair of PHIDs into IronMaidon's 06' (if I'm not mistaken) preterbed about there not being enough room. Need to try out my search skills to find that one. :lol: (found it) He is right.

I did not need a harness. I took out one of the stock horns and wired it directly up to the Nautilus and man o man is it loud. But it is too fat to go anywhere in that front section between the forks and the radiator. I have given up for the evening but will continue to search for another place tomorrow. If this goes well or not, I'll post on the technical discussions.

train horns

Personally I would go for the exclusive train whistle attached to some sort of backrest. Better make sure the SO has earplugs :lol:

I did the mag blaster thing--trimmed the trumpet part of the horn instead of the bike plastic.

Thanks Warchild---https://fjrtech.com/getdbitem.cfm?item=46

BTW, I think I recall you saying you'd moved? You still in SoFla?
Yepper, we moved from Deerfield Beach (just south of Boca) up to Wellington (southwest Palm Beach, emphasis on the west).
You in Titusville, IRC, no? I was up there this week, stopped by the Yamaha shop. They had an AE sitting on the floor, along with a Suzuki M109R, which is a sweet ride, IMO, even if it is a cruiser.

-BD
Not Titusville...quite a bit west of there.

Lakeland -- halfway twixt Whorelando and Tampa.

I'm looking for a louder horn for my FJR AE. Does anybody have any input or recomendations ????
Man, one post and he's toast. Oh well, as a matter of fact, I just began trying to install this Stebel Nautilus Compact horn. I believe it was Warchild that was trying to fit a pair of PHIDs into IronMaidon's 06' (if I'm not mistaken) preterbed about there not being enough room. Need to try out my search skills to find that one. :lol: (found it) He is right.

I did not need a harness. I took out one of the stock horns and wired it directly up to the Nautilus and man o man is it loud. But it is too fat to go anywhere in that front section between the forks and the radiator. I have given up for the evening but will continue to search for another place tomorrow. If this goes well or not, I'll post on the technical discussions.
Dan, its been discussed here before but perhaps needs to be pointed out again that using the OEM horn wire is not the best solution.

1.) To get optimum volume from the horns a larger gauge wire carries more current, e.g., more performance from the horn.

2.) The horn button is designed for the voltage/current requirements of the lower performance OEM horns. If the replacement horns draw to much current it is possible to arc across and fry the horn button.

That said, YMMV. I'm sure there are a few who have used the OEM setup. Most of us have used the OEM horn wire to signal the new relay we added.

Dan, its been discussed here before but perhaps needs to be pointed out again that using the OEM horn wire is not the best solution.
Mike, I think it violates some kind of guideline to post that within five posts of BrunDog :lol: Maybe if you search and post the link of the original debate it would be allowable
hysterical.gif
p.s. Happy Birthday buddy! :yahoo: :clapping:

ALWAYS DO A SEARCH!

But no shit! I got lamblasted when I raised and pushed the issue of using the stock harness.

Anyway, after a lot of careful testing myself, I can tell you that the stock harness (and likely the stock switch) is a no-no. With a set of 12A horns running, the stock wiring is overloaded, and the voltage drop exceeds 2 volts. That means you are potentially giving up ~20% of audio power. Anecdotally, I could not hear the difference with and without a beefier harness standing in front of it, but I do not think it is work risking your safety and the wiring of the bike. Also, again, I don't think the switch will have a long service life at that current.

I didn't use Randy's harness because I was also wiring in a Blue Sea fuseblock, but I think it is a great way to go to make your life easy.

-BD

OK lets see if I can make up for the train horn post. Two points on the decibel rating for horns:

1) It is not a linear scale, +10 decibels = 10 times the intensity.

2) Not all horn manufacturers measure their horns the same way, ie not everyones 120dB is the same.

so probably the only real way to compare horns is side by side. Personally I will be buying the Stebel's this winter for a simple reason, they have a great rep on this board for being LOUD.

train horns
Personally I would go for the exclusive train whistle attached to some sort of backrest. Better make sure the SO has earplugs :lol:
I used to be a Locomotive Driver and on our "C" class we had a Nathan 5 horn Cluster that would go right through you and if you were not careful walking past the turntable...When we were just fireman (Driver Trainies) Part of out job was to clean the inside of the cabs...we would use a paste of ajax and water to clean the windows with newspaper...so when it was applied you could not see inside the cab...people would walk past the engine and you'd give the cord a little pull...I swear some poeple actually soiled themselves!

Now that's a horn....

Bit of a hi-jack but to attest to the loudness of the Nautilus horn.....

Seems like every time I'm cutting the grass there is always some idiot that comes screaming thru the sub and tries to apex the corner in front of our house just as I'm cutting that spot next to the road. Scared the shit out of me a couple of times as some car comes flying past 1 foot away from me. I had an "extra" Nautilus horn lying around...so....I mounted it on the John Deere garden tractor behind the grill and put a little horn button on the dash. The results have been amazing. That horn is LOUD. And it gets the greatest reaction from the idiot behind the wheel that just whizxed by me cutting along the side of the road. Several people have soiled themselves from the look on their face. Now I cut along just waiting for someone to get too close.... They just cannot retract that flinch I see when I scare them back with the Nautilus. My neighbor across the street caught on to it when he say a driver swerve away from me suddenly with a paniced look on his face. He has one on his mower now too.

OK...so I'm easy to amuse.......LOL