Louder Horn any recomendations?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems like every time I'm cutting the grass there is always some idiot that comes screaming thru the sub and tries to apex the corner in front of our house just as I'm cutting that spot next to the road.
And on those days when you aren't mowing, you could have tons o' laughs rolling a used tire out into the street. Tell 'em it's a test. Next time it could be a kid.

Damn guys, thanks for the plug! I'm blushing. OK, not really but after installing LOTS of different horns on LOTS of different FJR's. Here's the skinny......

On ANY year FJR, if you do not trim the inner black fairing the horns will be TOO close to the forks! Period! I learned this the hard way, coming into a tight righthand corner hard on the brakes and caught the MB horn on the Superbrace. Scared the living shit outa me when I couldn't turn left!

The main goal when mounting any model horn on the FJR is to get it as high up and outward as humanly possible. The better this is done, the less chance of the fork hitting the horn. Also, bending the horn bracket so each horn sits at 45 degrees to the radiator helps alot too.

Fact #1....

'03-'05 models using Magnum blasters.....cut the inner fairing to just clear the outline of the horn. There isn't much room on the right side because the coolant tank is there. But there's lots of room on the left to tuck the horn in as outward as possible. With the Freeway Blasters, it's a little easier because the horns aren't as deep.

'06 models have a nice little "indent" where the fatcory horns fit into. Freeway blasters fit perfectly with plenty of fork clearance by just trimming out those indents. Magnum Blasters need approx one more inch fwd of the indent in order to get them to tuck in nicely.

Compact Nautilus will be a bear on the '06 since the right side inner panel will have to be trimmed more than previous years to fit the compressor. But the left side is just about the same install as a left Magnum blaster when the two components are separated.

All of the above info MUST be followed even MORE closely if you have a fork brace installed. You lose a lot of horn clearnce with a fork brace. Again...trust me, I learned firsthand what the outcome will be.

Fact # 2.....or should I say myth?

The Feeway Blasters and the Magnum Blasters have the IDENTICAL output volume! I measured both sets on my bike with a sound level meter at 10'. Stebel claims 139dB at 4 "inches". Are they serious? Who the HELL is gonna be 4" away BEFORE you hit the button? They also claim 112 dB at 1 meter. They're getting closer.

FIAMM claims output of 110 at 1 meter. I got 110 dB at 10 feet on BOTH sets of horns.

Now doesn't sound output at 10' sound more like a useable comparison? Still too close but that's just a length I decided on. OK, truth is my garage is too short, and I didn't want to stand outside in the dead of winter, alright? There ya go. Ten feet it is.

The big difference between the two horns is the TYPE of sound produced. The Freeways have a "Euro" sound and the Magnums sound like Grandpa's Buick. Everyone's ear perceives the output differently, but the meter doesn't lie. Same dB at 10'. Magnums are larger size, Freeways are a little thinner front to back.

Now for the golden question. "How do I properly mount the compact Nautilus to my bike? Good question. If you can't fit it so the horns are in the fornt...FACING forward, sell the horns to some deserving soul and move on. The ONLY proper way to mount the compact Nautilus, AND have enough fork clearance is to split the two components and mount both in the factory locations. Compressor closer to the battery on the right, and horn part on the left. I've heard of some people mounting the whole shebang under the left side fairing but I myself don't do it this way. This puts the horn output behind the fairing, not out in the open air to get the most volume.

If you're a competent fabricator, the job is only time-consuming. If you have no idea how to machine a bushing or fab a couple brackets to mount both components, bring the sleeping bag to the garage. You're gonna be there a while. I made custom brackets, machined an inlet tube to fit in the horn side since it is part of the compressor and can't be removed, and connected the two pieces with a length of 5/16" fuel line.

BTW...I already posted this whole process with pics months ago on the forum.

I've heard some mount their horn on the right side frame under the seat and say it's loud. Of course it's loud! It's blairing in your Goddam ear and not at the dumbass in front of you! Sure fun scaring a cager to your right, but not much for the guy in front with the cellphone glued to his ear.

The output end of ANY horn mounted should always face front. Facing the output down is fine, but it MUST be in the front to achieve max volume. (output)

Of course, if you'd rather just wake up people to the side or behind you, then knock yourself out and mount it there.

MY horn harness history......

I first installed a set of Freeway Blasters with my custom harness and was impressed.

I then followed the FJR flock and installed the Magnum Blasters. I never did see what the buzz was all about with these horns. MY ears didn't hear any more volume, just a deeper sound. (Again, theory later proven with sound level meter)

Well, after finding out about the Compact Naulius, and always wanting airhorns on my ride, I decided to make up an even HEAVIER duty harness required to run the compressor and custom mount the compact Nautilus.

I'm sticking with this setup because it's just FREAKIN' LOUD! No comparison to the other horns.

But let me say again, if you don't think you can do all that custom install work, you ain't gonna get that thing on there correctly....AND safely.

Another tip for mounting ANY vibrating horn...DO NOT mount the horn tight against any surrounding surface! The horn should be able to vibrate, being suspended by the bracket. It won't vibrate enough and it will sound like it's dead if it's pushed tight against the radiator, side panel, etc. There's a reason the factory horns are out there, floating in the breeze on a rubber mount. Same applies to any vibrating (resonating) horn.

Jestal, you made me crack up with the Nautilus install on the lawnmower! Excellent! Great idea!

I hope all that are interested in putting aftermarket horns on their ride can read this and get something out of it. Being a car audio/alarm/remote starter/12volt accessory installer for 20 years, I hope by now I know just a little about custom fabrication and wiring. No I'm not bragging...just trying to say "been there done that".

I'll check back Sun night after my Sunday ride. It is now 4:05 am eastern. I have to get up at 6 and be out by 7am. 2 hours sleep...not bad.

....now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Last edited by a moderator:
Any Canadian FJR owner come up with a Canadian supplier for good horns??? I Googled the shit out of bike horns last evening, but gave up after 30 minutes in frustration after finding nothing useful.

Any Canadian FJR owner come up with a Canadian supplier for good horns??? I Googled the shit out of bike horns last evening, but gave up after 30 minutes in frustration after finding nothing useful.

The place for the real Stebel Magnum Blasters is this source

https://www.hornsplusauto.com/

I can vouch for that source. He is located in East Lansing, Michigan. When I needed a set of Magnum Blasters I called him up and arranged for a pickup. Good excuse for a ride. Nice guy.

I will second the advice to double and triple check the clearance to the fork tubes and sliders with the larger horns installed. ESPECIALLY if you have the fork brace. I had the front end of my bike apart when I installed the Magnum Blasters and found that at full compression and full lock there was heavy interference. I know that full compression and full lock is not likely but there was contact WAY before then. A moderate turn and moderate jounce would cause them to hit. I had to really recess the left hand horn into the side panel with a different mount and the right side still hit no matter how far I moved it inboard until it couldn't go any further. I ended up trimming the horn section of the horn quite a bit to effect clearance. I know that a lot of the setups I've seen pictured will hit the fork sliders in a hard bump and slight turn.

I will second the advice to double and triple check the clearance to the fork tubes and sliders with the larger horns installed. ESPECIALLY if you have the fork brace. I had the front end of my bike apart when I installed the Magnum Blasters and found that at full compression and full lock there was heavy interference. I know that full compression and full lock is not likely but there was contact WAY before then. A moderate turn and moderate jounce would cause them to hit. I had to really recess the left hand horn into the side panel with a different mount and the right side still hit no matter how far I moved it inboard until it couldn't go any further. I ended up trimming the horn section of the horn quite a bit to effect clearance. I know that a lot of the setups I've seen pictured will hit the fork sliders in a hard bump and slight turn.
This is exactly why I was suggesting to mount the horns at 45 degrees to the radiator. Just one simple bend in the mounting bracket, that's all. This is the only way I could get the larger Magnums to clear the Superbrace.

I ordered up a pair of Fiamm Blasters from Harbor Freight at $10 per:

https://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=44760

The ad says they draw 5 amps apiece.

While a beefier harness will certainly help, 5 amps will not melt 20 ga. wire. However, the voltage drop will be substantial, like as much as 3 volts.

(1) WIll the blasters be any louder than the stock horns if I don't replace the harness?

(2) What fuse do the horns use?

Ken C

I ordered up a pair of Fiamm Blasters from Harbor Freight at $10 per:https://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=44760

While a beefier harness will certainly help, 5 amps will not melt 20 ga. wire. However, the voltage drop will be substantial, like as much as 3 volts.

(1) WIll the blasters be any louder than the stock horns if I don't replace the harness?

Ken C

I would be more concerned about melting your stock horn button/switch........ use a relay and custom harness for the bigger horns. It is really not a big deal to install the extra harness.

I ordered up a pair of Fiamm Blasters from Harbor Freight at $10 per:

https://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=44760

Ken C

I would be more concerned about melting your stock horn button/switch........ use a relay and custom harness for the bigger horns. It is really not a big deal to install the extra harness.
ditto............ and FJRandy is incredably resonable in his price, his instructions make the install very simple....the harness should be a no brainer----why skimp?

OK, just finished another Freeway Blaster install using my harness. I had to trim the black inner panels to get the horns to tuck in where I wanted them.

I took a bunch of reference pics, and I'll post 'em up tonight.

Ken C

Yeah, it won't melt the "wire" but it'll make the covering look like overcooked bacon.

Answer to (1)......Barely. But then again, I can yell louder than the stock horns.

Answer to (2).......aftermarket horns? I use 20 amp on my harness. I don't recall the fact fuse rating. 7.5 maybe?

Bit of a hi-jack but to attest to the loudness of the Nautilus horn.....
Seems like every time I'm cutting the grass there is always some idiot that comes screaming thru the sub and tries to apex the corner in front of our house just as I'm cutting that spot next to the road. Scared the shit out of me a couple of times as some car comes flying past 1 foot away from me. I had an "extra" Nautilus horn lying around...so....I mounted it on the John Deere garden tractor behind the grill and put a little horn button on the dash. The results have been amazing. That horn is LOUD. And it gets the greatest reaction from the idiot behind the wheel that just whizxed by me cutting along the side of the road. Several people have soiled themselves from the look on their face. Now I cut along just waiting for someone to get too close.... They just cannot retract that flinch I see when I scare them back with the Nautilus. My neighbor across the street caught on to it when he say a driver swerve away from me suddenly with a paniced look on his face. He has one on his mower now too.

OK...so I'm easy to amuse.......LOL

That's hilarious, my next project will be mounting the compact nautilus to my dixie chopper! :clapping:

Bit of a hi-jack but to attest to the loudness of the Nautilus horn.....

Seems like every time I'm cutting the grass there is always some idiot that comes screaming thru the sub and tries to apex the corner in front of our house just as I'm cutting that spot next to the road. Scared the shit out of me a couple of times as some car comes flying past 1 foot away from me. I had an "extra" Nautilus horn lying around...so....I mounted it on the John Deere garden tractor behind the grill and put a little horn button on the dash. The results have been amazing. That horn is LOUD. And it gets the greatest reaction from the idiot behind the wheel that just whizxed by me cutting along the side of the road. Several people have soiled themselves from the look on their face. Now I cut along just waiting for someone to get too close.... They just cannot retract that flinch I see when I scare them back with the Nautilus. My neighbor across the street caught on to it when he say a driver swerve away from me suddenly with a paniced look on his face. He has one on his mower now too.

OK...so I'm easy to amuse.......LOL

That's hilarious, my next project will be mounting the compact nautilus to my dixie chopper! :clapping:
Gentleman, here is the "shit." Forget the FB and MB. Make a political statement with every sound of the horn.

Wolo 2 Song Horn with Remote Control (La Cucaracha and Mexican Hat Dance) : JC Whitney: Car Parts & Accessories