loving your fuel pump

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iboldguy

Reaction score
I was told that the gasoline in the tank is both coolant and lubrication for the fuel pump - is this true?

If so, does running the fuel level well into reserve (or empty) affect things adversely?

Ibold,

From what I read, you are correct. This is why I make it a practice Not to go Below 1/4 Tank when possible as preventative maintenance.

It is probably more critical now since we have to deal with Ethanol Laced gas which has been known to not help Fuel Pumps/Rubbers with Non-Ethanol Designed based fuel systems.

Should not be a problem unless it sucks air-that would probably suck! If it does run out of gas, obviously the motor will instantly stop due to loss of pressure at the fuel rail. Don't really know about the FJR but on GM vehicles loss of oil pressure when the motor stops will cause the fuel pump relay to turn off the pump for safety. Should be a similar system on the FJR or maybee the only safety system is the tip over switch..?

I have been monitoring MPG on my 05 since day one and have seen no substantial change in fuel economy since "break in" except when I put the monster Cee Baileys +4+4 on. Before the windscreen change I got a constant 42 MPG normal riding conditions and with the big screen I get about 40 to 40.5. I can say this with a high level of confidence because I ride the same 162 mile (one way trip) from the SF Peninsula to my home in Foresthill both ways twice a week. My 05 has 82K miles on it now. Having done this kind of commuting on the bike for such a long time and knowing exactly where every gas stop is, I routinely take the fuel level to within a couple quarts (liters) of empty. This morning I put in 5.8 gallons.

I only mention this because if fuel pumps were harmed by running the bike with low levels of fuel, I should be purchasing fuel pumps on a regular basis. My fuel pump has never failed. I can't speak to the question of damage caused by running out of fuel completely because I have never done that but given the way I operate, its hard for me to believe that fuel pump damage is a consequence of using most of the available fuel.

If I don't put in at least 6 gallons when I fill I've wasted my time. I'll fill earlier out on the road but on my commute I take it well into reserve regularly. It does help that I have an extra fuel pump just sitting here, just in case. I don't have the slightest worry about it failing though.

I hear that pump motor will glow red hot if the fuel gets low enough, just what I want in a gas tank. :dribble:

I'm calling urban legend, I run all my fuel injected vehicles down to the point where E has to stand for Enough, pisses the wife off. ;)

I've run mine completely dry twice with no harm done. It will go about a mile after it starts to stumble. It will happen at about 254 miles of what I would call normal riding ( 70+ mph freeway and 40 to 50 mph on secondary roads). It will run out much sooner at higher speeds. An auxiliary tank has eliminated these problems.

Should not be a problem unless it sucks air-that would probably suck! If it does run out of gas, obviously the motor will instantly stop due to loss of pressure at the fuel rail.... loss of oil pressure when the motor stops will cause the fuel pump relay to turn off the pump for safety. Should be a similar system on the FJR...

Ding ding

We have an answer.

But I think in the FJR it's coming from the alternator output.

Ibold,
From what I read, you are correct. This is why I make it a practice Not to go Below 1/4 Tank when possible as preventative maintenance.

It is probably more critical now since we have to deal with Ethanol Laced gas which has been known to not help Fuel Pumps/Rubbers with Non-Ethanol Designed based fuel systems.
Quit worrying about your fuel pump and go for a ride until you almost run out of gas. Then fill up and continue. If the electric fuel pumps that have been used in cars for the past 35 years were subject to overheating and destruction because the fuel tank that they call home was running near empty there would be millions of cars by the side of the road—all needing a new pump. Also, rubber components that are used in motorcycle and automotive fuel systems have been “ethanol proof’ since 1987 or so—so you don’t have to be concerned about that as well. The fuel pump in your FJR will most likely outlast the motor!

I was told that the gasoline in the tank is both coolant and lubrication for the fuel pump - is this true?If so, does running the fuel level well into reserve (or empty) affect things adversely?
I was wondering about how far to push it after the last bar starts to flash.

I usually don't refill until the reserve odo starts counting, unless I'm out somewhere that needs more planning. My portly Gen II feels a little more nimble when nearly dry...

Call it OCD but I start looking for a service station at 3 bars. Not woried about the fuel pump over heating, but me over heating walking miles for gas...

I'm with these guys:

If I don't put in at least 6 gallons when I fill I've wasted my time.
...go for a ride until you almost run out of gas. Then fill up and continue.
I usually don't refill until the reserve odo starts counting, unless I'm out somewhere that needs more planning.
I've a riding buddy who always says: "As a rule, there's no need to put gas on top of gas..." :)

Ibold,

I've heard this same thing and have adobted similar habit, but not always.
I do know that my 1995 BMKW K1100RS when low on fuel, I would get a nasty hum from the fuel tank, the fuel pump was not doing well, maybe heating up??? It would sing to me which I didn't find comforting. It never failed but hearing that hum really scared me.

I know what I am doing is probably a little overkill for most... but just want to take care of my vehicles for many miles & years.

Here is a synopsis on Ethanol:

https://www.motorcycle-accessories-wiseguy....motorcycle.html

What does it mean to my motorcycle?

There are certain potential hazards and unwanted side effects associated with using E10 in your motorcycle. Your vehicle will consume more fuel especially if you use E85 which officially and generally stated by the ethanol industry as a 25% to 30% drop. This is because ethanol contains less energy than gasoline despite a higher natural octane number. The fact that it does help loosen sludge in your fuel tank can cause problems with clogged lines and filters as well as block carburetor jets and fuel injectors. After all those loosened particles have to go somewhere.

Be careful if you don't ride a lot. Using ethanol motorcycle fuel in bikes that will be stored for lengthy periods of time can be troublesome. The fact that ethanol motorcycle fuel can absorb some water is beneficial but there is a maximum to what it will absorb. Large amounts of condensation will induce the ethanol and water to separate inducing the water to gravitate to the bottom of the tank where the fuel pickup is located.

Make certain, no matter what type of gas is used, that if you are going to store your motorcycle for a prolonged period of time that you take precautions. It is advisable to either completely empty your tank or fill it all the way up to help reduce potential damage to your gas tank. Please be aware that there are many other elements involved in properly preparing a vehicle for storage other than just the fuel in the gas tank. Also don't forget to add gas stabilizer to your gas should you decide to leave gas in your tank.

Another potentially serious problem with ethanol is that it can be incompatible with older rubber compounds. Also in higher concentrations it can cause corrosion to steel and aluminum that is a part of older motorcycle fuel systems.

Yes, it's true the fuel lubes and cools the pump. Yes, it's true the pump is damaged when when run dry. Yes, it's true that millions (well, thousands at least) do it with no apparent ill effects. At first. And the Feej has a notoriously hot tank when level is low, that's gotta be good for it, right? In the repair biz, we replace fuel pumps all the time. You can run an engine out of oil, it quits, you fill it up, and 8 out of 10 times it'll run ok. But is it the same engine it was before the starvation? Hmmmm? You feeling lucky, punk?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was told that the gasoline in the tank is both coolant and lubrication for the fuel pump - is this true?If so, does running the fuel level well into reserve (or empty) affect things adversely?
I was wondering about how far to push it after the last bar starts to flash.

I've been to 45 miles, and there found the bottom of the tank.

I'm pretty comfortable with 25 miles around town.

236,000 miles on my fuel pump. In the 'if I ain't filling to at least 6 gallons then it ain't worth it' camp. Been run dry twice in all those miles. Still kicking.

In all my years on FJR forums I honestly can't remember a single report of a fuel pump going bad. That's why you can get used ones so cheap on ebay.

Ride more. Stress less.

Ride more. Stress less.
Gunny that. Props to Radman, but with only 125k on my '04, nearly always going to reserve before filling and run dry a few times, this is a non issue.

@ALF - That's just sad. You give up a huge amount of range that way. Reserve amounts do vary, but 1.5 gallons is pretty common.