Luggage Rack and Backrest

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GPRIDER

Reaction score
After riding a FJR for almost six years, I've finally come to the point where I am going to need a backrest and decent size luggage rack for the 08 I'm currently riding. After reading all the good things about geraulds work, I decided to go with his products only to find out he is taking time off for other projects and a break from the work of manufacturing his products. I've been googling and searching and have yet to find anything like what he makes, especially for the price. Premier Cycle Accessories has a flat aluminum plate and a backrest that goes with it, but don't know if I really care for the looks of it. Also pricier at $362. Need ideas and suggestions for these accessories.

GP :rolleyes:

Soooooo does this mean the price on mine just doubled? :) I hope all is well with Gary and he gets back into it when he's ready.Sometimes you need a little time off from the daily Grind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soooooo does this mean the price on mine just doubled? :) I hope all is well with Gary and he gets back into it when he's ready.Sometimes you need a little time off from the daily Grind.
Doubled? Shoot I'm thinking the one-off Garauld custom on mine dun quadrupled.

In all seriousness... I'd be patient and wait for him to get back in to it. He is one of a kind and his work is worth the wait.

Thanks Krider. That's a pretty nice looking unit. The backrest looks like it would push my passenger into me though. The padding is super thick. I wonder if that guy would do a custom sizing on that pad and thin it out some. I guess I could call him and find out. Looks like it could be angled back a degree or two also.

Joe the backrest is definately for the passenger. I don't see me needing one on this bike seeing how I'm still leaning into the handlebars even with 1 inch risers.

GP

I have one of the PCA racks with a Givi E55 without the padded backrest and my wife says is needed she can lean right on the bag, since she always wears a jacket with padding on the back. She is ~120lbs, and she prefers not to lean back on it, however. I believe PCA claims their backrest shouldn't/can't be used with the bag on, so I am not sure if that's a viable solution. I like that the PCA has a fairly low profile since you can convert it into a Givi rack for peanuts. If you plan on using brakelights with the topcase, plan on drilling through the PCA rack however.

If your passenger needs something a little more heavy duty, PCA probably isnt the way to go, unless they have new options since last July.

Thanks Krider. That's a pretty nice looking unit. The backrest looks like it would push my passenger into me though. The padding is super thick. I wonder if that guy would do a custom sizing on that pad and thin it out some. I guess I could call him and find out. Looks like it could be angled back a degree or two also.
Joe the backrest is definately for the passenger. I don't see me needing one on this bike seeing how I'm still leaning into the handlebars even with 1 inch risers.

GP

I agree that backrest is too vertical. This isn't a hardley cruiser either. While I don't have the rack with mine, the backrest from Premier is second to none. Tiltled, curved, my GF seems very comfy back there and has plenty of room.

GP

I agree that backrest is too vertical. This isn't a hardley cruiser either. While I don't have the rack with mine, the backrest from Premier is second to none. Tiltled, curved, my GF seems very comfy back there and has plenty of room.
Thanks for the info Mojave. The Premier backrest looks pretty nice even though a little pricey. How do you carry more stuff on trips without a luggage rack? That's part of the problem. My GF will be taking up the space where I usually have my tourmaster duffle bag.

GP

I asked awhile back if anyone has used or heard of this rack and backrest for the FJR, no one had. I don't know if it is what your looking for but if nothing else it is something to compare.
https://mitouring.com/home.html
I just talked to Mike @MiTouring and he doesn't have any of these and will not have them for a while due to suppliers going out of business.

R

Last edited by a moderator: