Mags Bags?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those look better than a top box!
He didn't say look better! He said cheaper!!

Just my $.02, I think those bags are butt ugly and probably wouldn't keep your stuff dry. I wonder how well my laptop would fit in those bags? :rolleyes:

JW

I hope that Thumperbike was being sarcastic! Calling those things BUTT UGLY is an insult to all things truly butt ugly. Looks like they should be drapped over the end of a shopping cart full of spent aluminum cans being pushed by a hobo.

That's an embarrassment. BMW people don't seem to hesitate to do whatever they can to make their bikes look ugly and just plain weird. Do we have to do it to our great looking bikes? Geez, let me know when you're coming my way so I can go another route. Why not just drag a travois behind you? :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
That's an embarrassment. BMW people don't seem to hesitate to do whatever they can to make their bikes look ugly and just plain weird. Do we have to do it to our great looking bikes? Geez, let me know when you're coming my way so I can go another route. Why not just drag a travois behind you? :blink:

Travois? I didnt really fully appreciate your response being ignorant as to what a travois is. Thought I'd add this picture for the rest now that I've looked it up.

travoislarge.gif

Travois? I didnt really fully appreciate your response being ignorant as to what a travois is. Thought I'd add this picture for the rest now that I've looked it up.
I am impressed with your sense of curiosity. Not many people would bother. Being a Cannuck and having the Calgary Stampede every year to remind us, a travois is not too far in our past.

We used to have this old guy made up to look like a gold miner from the turn of the last century. Every year, in the Stampede parade, he'd show up with his mule. On this mule, he had all sorts of packs hanging. One of these packs is very reminiscent of the pack depicted in the OP's post. He usually walked the entire parade route behind one of the indian entries, some of whom were on horseback with travois dragging along. This old guy fit right in.

Just imagine a beautiful FJR with color matched side bags driving just behind this mule, with a sign that said, "I'm with him". I don't think so, Tim.

Thanks fer the link, ...............I was hittin man bags? an all I seen was odot an fencer with a brief interlude from Karver

Thanks Bro,

:jester:

I bought a Mags Bag Voyager model. It comes with a rain cover, plastic D-rings and nylon webbing straps with a loop sewn on one end. You loop the straps through your frame, then thread the open end of the strap through the D-rings. The bag is well made except for the plastic D-rings. Two of them broke when I cinched down the nylon straps. I replaced the plastic D-rings with stainless steel D-rings, but they were too slick and the nylon webbing would not stay cinched down. I bought Rok Straps this past summer with quick-release buckles and they allow me to quickly secure the Voyager bag (and anything on top of it) to my pillion seat and quickly remove it when I want to. The Voyager bag comes with nylon bungee cord on the top flap, which you can use to secure a tent, thermarest, etc.

For the money I think its a good bag, but it wouldn't work for me without the Rok straps. You should not look at a soft bag as an alternative to a trunk. I mounted a Givi Maxia 52 trunk on my FJR and use it all the time, both around town and on long trips. I use the Voyager bag when I am going on a long trip and want some extra baggage capacity that will keep the contents dry. I put my rain gear, extra clothing layers, gloves, food & anything I need quick access to in the trunk. Keep in mind that the trunk extends well past your rear axle and shouldn't be carrying much weight. The soft bag mounts on your pillion seat--over your rear axle. You can put much more weight in it and on top of it with much less adverse effect on the bike's handling. The soft bag will hold stuff that you just can't fit in your side cases. And yes, you can stow a computer in the soft bag. I carry a Mac PowerBook in mine wherever I go. The Voyager is wide enough that it comes out to where the side case lid meets the black plastic "bottom" of the side case--just right in my opinion. I can open the side case without dismounting the Voyager bag, but I have to hold up the "end" of the Voyager bag a couple of inches to put the key in the side case and pull up the flap--no big deal.

One other problem I had with the Voyager bag was that it slid down to the front and pushed against my lower back. As you know the FJR pillion seat slopes up to the rear. The Voyager bag has a level bottom and the stock D-rings are on the bottom, so the bag wants to scoot down toward the rider. If you pack it full, it can push against your lower back--pretty annoying after 200 miles. I stuffed a folded up rain tarp on top of the pillion seat and under the Voyager bag to level it up, but it still sagged when using the stock D-rings. Using the Rok straps on the Givi trunk mounting frame solved that problem. The Givi trunk mounting frame sticks out from under the side of the pillion about half-way back on the pillion seat. I attach the front Rok strap to the front end of the trunk mounting frame. I attach the back Rok strap to the trunk mounting frame right ahead of the front end of the trunk itself. One end of each Rok strap has a stretchable fabric. The other end is nylon strap that you can cinch down against the quick-release buckle. I set the loaded Voyager bag on top of the folded tarp (on top of the pillion seat); I clip and cinch the Rok strap and it snugs the Voyager bag back against the front of the Givi trunk. Voila! No back pressure; but I can lean back against the Voyager bag when I want to change my seating position.

Bottom line: Mags Bags are good products, but need some modifications in my experience to work well. Soft luggage is not an alternative to a trunk. They are both part of the solution if you are doing long distance riding. If you are just riding around town, mount a trunk. Last comment: if you think a 52-liter trunk is too damn big (as I did at first), put it on. Within a month, you will wonder how you ever got along without it and you will think it is too damn small to hold everything you want to put in it.

Good luck!