Mass Dampers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sherman

Reaction score
I watch the F1 on Speed and there were recent discussions about the merits of a mass damper. The FJR fairing really vibrates on the ripples and this may help. Essentially the heavy bar ends are mass dampers with the handlebars acting as springs - albeit a bit stiff for the job. This seems like this would be an easy farkle to fab and install.

Mass Damper

In trying to decide on a location I think that a pair of rings with 2(x2) springs to keep them centered to slide up and down on the fork tubes between the triple trees would be the cleanest solution. Now I just need to get some rings machined and find some springs that would fit. Any feedback and/or possible sources would be greatly appreciated.

Bruce

Last edited by a moderator:
the correct link is https://www.formula1.com/race/technical_ana...s/762/311.htmll

Anyway, I am not sure how this will help the fairing vibration - renault use it stabilize the front end of the chassis not the fairing...plus they are talking vibration from a super stiff chassis with very little suspension movement at 100-200mph.

Care to explain why you think this is going to help you other than it sounds cool from F1.

the correct link is https://www.formula1.com/race/technical_ana...s/762/311.htmll
Anyway, I am not sure how this will help the fairing vibration - renault use it stabilize the front end of the chassis not the fairing...plus they are talking vibration from a super stiff chassis with very little suspension movement at 100-200mph.

Care to explain why you think this is going to help you other than it sounds cool from F1.
Thank you for the corrected link, I'll edit mine.

When I hit a rippled road the fairing shook violently. I thought this might be a good application for the technology. Olins makes dampers (Scott) for side to side vibrations on the dirt bikes. It just seamed like a good idea and easy fix. I was hoping against hope for some positive feedback and maybe some suggestions on spring tension and weights as I have no experience in dampers. Like most amature mechanics, my approach would be trial and error - I hoped to reduce the number of iterations by laying it out here to some expert. Or maybe it has been done and I could get directed to that source.

I'll go out on a limb here... I believe that if the chassis is shaking than that might shake the fairing.

I do not believe I said that it sounds cool because it is from F1. Though I do enjoy F1. The wings mentioned here are done very well there, as are some heat exhaust stacks/wings that could be helpful. The little stories are funney - like when they planted a pigs ear for Nikki Lauda to find.

I like the McLaren Mercedes (edit, thx ScrapeApe) team paint job and would like to see or do the FJR in that silver/chrome, black and red.

There were camera shots showing the difference between the bounce on the front end of the Alonzo's car on the curbs both before and after the damper had been removed. That reminded me of the shaking I had encountered on my rippled road.