Maybe I don't need a Zumo

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pale Rider 07

Reaction score
For some time now I have been pretty set on getting a Zumo 665 when I could set the funds aside. As my list of wanted/needed farkles grows, I'm reconsidering the expense of the Zumo and looking for a cheaper alternative. After researching some of the water tight boxes that are out there, I have decided to add the Nuvi line to my list of possibilities. The problem is that I'm overwhelmed when I look at the number of models that are available. So I thought I would post my desired config and see if any of you are already using it with a Nuvi.

I plan to purchase a separate XM radio that I will connect to my Sena headset via an audio cable. I want to have the option of connecting my phone to the GPS unit via Bluetooth, then connect the GPS to my Sena via Bluetooth. As far as features go, I don't have too many and if I'm missing something that I should be considering, please chime in. I need a wide (large) screen as the eyes are not getting any better with age. I also really like the lane assist feature that my wife has in her car, so add that. Voice prompts would be nice, but not a necessity. Do I want lifetime maps or not...really don't know. I want to be able to plan routes on my computer and transfer them to the GPS unit. What else do I really need?

So based on the information above, any suggestions?

Just a quick sidetrack ... Have you considered getting a BT dongle for the XM radio? Or finding a Nuvi / Zumo which has that built in?

Back to the Nuvi's. I don't have a lot of experience with them beyond the cheap one I bought for my dad a while back, but it is lacking features compared to the Zumo. In particular, can't load multiple-waypoint maps from Mapsource into the Nuvi. That feature has to be high on the list.

I want to have the option of connecting my phone to the GPS unit via Bluetooth, then connect the GPS to my Sena via Bluetooth.
I don't know about the Zumo, but the Nuvi cannot do this. They can connect to a phone only - no headsets, no external speakers. I have a 1490, and while I like the unit for what it is, Garmin is pretty cheesy for putting such limited capability on the bluetooth connection.

I use a Nuvi 770 and have for several years but it is now discontinued.

The most important thing to look for is the ability to create custom multi-point routes and import them into the unit.

I use Microsoft Streets and Trips to create my routes and it is very easy to use.

be sure the specs include this wording: With route planning you can save 10 routes, specify via points and preview simulated turns on the 755T's wide screen

I just visited Sena's website and they have added a pretty nice connection support page that shows what can be connected and how to do it. Looks like the Zumo is what they designed the SMH10 for. Can't really blame them since those units are really the ones designed for motorcycles.

-Aasland, please tell me more about the XM dongle option...not sure what you mean. I have thought about the XM feature built into the Zumo's, but some have suggested that a standalone unit is easier to control. I guess there are several button pushes to go back and forth between navigation and radio control. Plus I would use the XM every day while commuting, but the GPS would really only be used for trips. Once less item to remove and lock up when I get to the office.

For some time now I have been pretty set on getting a Zumo 665 when I could set the funds aside. As my list of wanted/needed farkles grows, I'm reconsidering the expense of the Zumo and looking for a cheaper alternative. After researching some of the water tight boxes that are out there, I have decided to add the Nuvi line to my list of possibilities. The problem is that I'm overwhelmed when I look at the number of models that are available. So I thought I would post my desired config and see if any of you are already using it with a Nuvi.

I plan to purchase a separate XM radio that I will connect to my Sena headset via an audio cable. I want to have the option of connecting my phone to the GPS unit via Bluetooth, then connect the GPS to my Sena via Bluetooth. As far as features go, I don't have too many and if I'm missing something that I should be considering, please chime in. I need a wide (large) screen as the eyes are not getting any better with age. I also really like the lane assist feature that my wife has in her car, so add that. Voice prompts would be nice, but not a necessity. Do I want lifetime maps or not...really don't know. I want to be able to plan routes on my computer and transfer them to the GPS unit. What else do I really need?

So based on the information above, any suggestions?
I use both Street Pilots series 2XX/27XX and a Nuvi 855 on the bike. The Nuvi was a recent purchase because it was so dang cheap from www.woot.com. As far as the water tight boxes, I figure that is just adding an additional layer from the screen, so for those times when in the rain as simple plastic bag does the trick. What I did notice about my particular Nuvi, it is not particularily bright or back lite well for sunlight, but it was made for use in a car.

Lifetime map updates, if you can find a unit cheap enough I guess this would work. I am using a SP2720 for the last 2 years and while some of the recent construction for highways is outdated, I doubt the new updates would include this.

You did bring up about planning on the computer. Mapsource is Garmins route planning software. For the Nuvi and Zumos I believe accept a GPX file for routes. It is my understanding that Streets and Trips is doing GPX files now, so that is an alternative. My preference has always been Mapsource. I find it every bit as easy as S&T, but others (or should I say most) find Mapsource a huge learning curve. What I have learned with my recent purchase of the Nuvi, what you plan in Mapsource and transfer to the unit may not necessarily be the same. After I transfer a route to the Nuvi, I generally have to recalculate using the Shortest Route and it will then conform pretty much to the route I planned.

I heavily use GPS's for long trips and participating in various Treasure Hunts which require hunting down particular locations. YMMV in this aspect. At a minimum they are very useful for finding gas stations in places you are not familar with.

My overall recommendation is to stick with Garmin, just because they seem to be the GPS of choice for riders and Gamin has outstanding customer service. I have heard the Nuvi 775 is a great choice for the bike, however has been discontinued by Garmin. You may still be able to find one on line. At a minimum when looking at the specs, make sure the unit accepts routes and wayppoints.

HTH

Willie

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 1390LMT, free lifetime maps and traffic updates. Got it at Costco for $159, it also has blue tooth. I live in AZ so not much rain to worry about I just keep a ziplock baggie in the glove box just incase.

Like others have said, the Nuvi will not operate the phone like you are wanting while the zumo will. I tried the route of the Nuvi 765t and was not happy. Now I have the zumo 665 and am pretty darn happy. To read my reviews on both units check out the "cake" thread below this one.

Like others have said, the Nuvi will not operate the phone like you are wanting while the zumo will. I tried the route of the Nuvi 765t and was not happy. Now I have the zumo 665 and am pretty darn happy. To read my reviews on both units check out the "cake" thread below this one.
Thanks Sahara...I was reading your comments from the other topic. Good information. Tell me something, do you find it easy to switch back and forth between the nav screen and the XM controls?

I use a Nuvi 780. Does great! I have my tunes on it I listen to, GPS of course etc. It's not rain proof, but a plastic bag has worked in the past. The Nuvi is also so cheap and does a few things the Zumo doesn't. I can get 2-3 Nuvi's to one Zumo. Mine has worked great so far. No issues with touch screen and gloves aside from the normal fat fingering you do on a key board without gloves. ;)

YOU DO NEED A ZUMO 550...YOU RIDE A MOTORCYCLE, DON'T YOU

vibration proof, big buttons work with gloves on, weather proof

reburbs under $500

all mounts included, both for car and bike

replacement screen and digitizer for $40

Belive me, you need a Zumo

mine still going strong after 4 years of abuse

GET A ZUMO 550

I use a Nuvi 780. Does great! I have my tunes on it I listen to, GOS of course etc. It's not rain proof, but a plastic bag has worked in the past. The NUvi is also so cheap and does a few things the Zumo doesn't. I can get 2-3 Nuvi's to one Zumo. Mine has worked great so far.
I have been using the Nuvi 770 for past few years and it has worked great for me. Rather than a plastic bag, I use the RAM Aqua Box which does a good job of protecting unit from the elements.

-Aasland, please tell me more about the XM dongle option...not sure what you mean.
I was thinking of something like this:

https://cgi.ebay.com/Bluetooth-Transmitter-Adapter-Dongle-mp3-cell-3-5-mm-/140513551329?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item20b742a3e1#ht_1953wt_881

or similar, and find a way to hardwire it into the bike so it's always charging.

The idea is to plug the dongle into your XM's 3.5mm audio out jack. The dongle takes that audio signal and puts the music into a bluetooth AD2P signal. Pair that dongle with the Sena has a music device, and you have no cords.

If you want to go cheap and get all the features of a Zumo 660 except waterproof, check out the Nuvi 765T. It is discontinued, but does everything INCLUDING multipoint routing, MP3, A2DP stereo bluetooth, traffic, lane assistance and so forth. How are you ever going tobeat that at $132. If you don't like it, give it away as a present. I have clocked well over 20K miles on this GPS cross-country in all kinds of weather. It does require some protection in the hardest downpours, but it is not affected by vibration, and the screen is reasonably bright. Note that polarized sunglasses have a real bad effect on any LCD screen. There are newer models, but none of them do more than this one or come closer to the features of the Zumo 660.

One suggestion on the 765T is to use the USB for power hookup rather than the lighter plug cord. It's cleaner, disables traffic, but the OEM cradle has connectors that are too fragile for the bike. I have replace it 3-times. A 8-inch USB cord is just easier, and I have that connector in my console rather than a cigarette plug.

GET A ZUMO 550
I've got the 550, had it for six years, works great but time for a new screen.

I got a chance to try a Zumo 660 and I really like the bigger screen, faster processing, and ad2p connection ... but it doesn't have physical buttons for common things like volume and switching screens... but with the Sena, those items become moot points. I guess there's a reason the 550's are still holding their values pretty good.

Nuvi 550, able to plan routes but with out all the bells and whistles. Water proof, $239

https://www.gpscity.c...n-nuvi-550.html

DSC06878.jpg

If you want to go cheap and get all the features of a Zumo 660 except waterproof, check out the Nuvi 765T. It is discontinued, but does everything INCLUDING multipoint routing, MP3, A2DP stereo bluetooth, traffic, lane assistance and so forth. How are you ever going tobeat that at $132. If you don't like it, give it away as a present. I have clocked well over 20K miles on this GPS cross-country in all kinds of weather. It does require some protection in the hardest downpours, but it is not affected by vibration, and the screen is reasonably bright. Note that polarized sunglasses have a real bad effect on any LCD screen. There are newer models, but none of them do more than this one or come closer to the features of the Zumo 660.

One suggestion on the 765T is to use the USB for power hookup rather than the lighter plug cord. It's cleaner, disables traffic, but the OEM cradle has connectors that are too fragile for the bike. I have replace it 3-times. A 8-inch USB cord is just easier, and I have that connector in my console rather than a cigarette plug.
+1 on the 765t. I just got one and set it up with my J&M unit it seems to do everything the zumo 660 does minus being water proof and you can buy lifetime maps for under a $100 bucks. My main goal with the gps was it had to have a wired mic input. I am very happy with this unit and have 2500 miles with it now. I will be buying a few extra cradles to have on hand. I modified the one that came with it and basically took it apart cut out the back; put a bolt and washer through it and the ram mount cradle as a more permanent solution.

Thanks Sahara...I was reading your comments from the other topic. Good information. Tell me something, do you find it easy to switch back and forth between the nav screen and the XM controls?
Yep. One button to switch back and forth. There is a music icon on the map page, just tap that to get to xm then tap back to go back to the map page.

In response to tom's comment on the 765t doing everything. It is close, but not quite there. Biggest diff is Bluetooth. It will Bluetooth mp3s and gps prompts to the Sena, but it will not Bluetooth phone calls.

If anyone wants to give the 765t a try I still have mine with the ram cradle, and hard wire motorcycle power cable with the latest map update that I wouldnt mind getting rid of. Only used for about two months.

Yep. One button to switch back and forth. There is a music icon on the map page, just tap that to get to xm then tap back to go back to the map page.

In response to tom's comment on the 765t doing everything. It is close, but not quite there. Biggest diff is Bluetooth. It will Bluetooth mp3s and gps prompts to the Sena, but it will not Bluetooth phone calls.

If anyone wants to give the 765t a try I still have mine with the ram cradle, and hard wire motorcycle power cable with the latest map update that I wouldnt mind getting rid of. Only used for about two months.
PM sent