MC Enterprises tip over guards - are they any good?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, MCenterprise guards were shipped yesterday! Will report as soon as I get them installed next week. My Kouba lowering links should be in about the same time, so it's going to be a big "bike transformation" week!

Well, the MC enterprise guards came in today, and I got a late start due to the rather late arrival of the Fed Ex guy! It took me a little over an hour to actually install them after I became familiar with the parts, hardware, and instructions. Speaking of instructions, that was the ONLY part of the project that was difficult. The pictures were too dark to be useful, and some of the steps were a bit unclear. In addition, when installing the rear guards, the instructions tell you to actually remove the rear foot pegs, this is not necessary, just the bolt/nut needs to be removed, the pegs can stay in place. Other than that, the quality of the guards and hardware is very good, I am very happy with how they installed (overall) and how they look. I HOPE I never have to actually try them out though!

Resurrecting an old one here... Does anyone have an informed opinion? I'd like to hear from someone who has/had these on their bike.

Yes, I've searched thoroughly via Google :)

YES, I know many of you think they're fugly. :p

I PM'd a couple of folks from this thread but haven't received a reply.

ENGINE%20GUARD%2017.jpg

SIDE%20BAG%20LRG.JPG

These crash bars are available from MC Enterprises: link

If you are installing them on the rear and you are carrying a passenger, they better have small feet. Dad took this one of my foot in a Justin steel toe workboot, size 10. I can't get the heel behind the peg because the back of my leg is hitting the top bar. My toe is so far forward that the driver would not be able to get his feet on the pegs. Of course I sincerely hope that none of us are riding with a big footed male passenger on the back, but each to his own.
IMG_5981.jpg
">

That's pretty much what I shared with a member that inquired about it. I can see how the top brace will interfere with the heel, not sure if there is an option to buy aftermarket pegs that stick out more to give more clearance. In my case, I ride solo, and on the few times my G/F rode she didn't seem to have a problem....then again...I didn't ask! LOL!

IMHO, they are WELL worth it, at least for me anyway. I would not ride my FJR without them, but if you have long trips WITH a passenger, it could be an issue. Maybe you assign the passenger "guard duty" to throw himself/herself under the bike in the event of a fall, to save the bags!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha! Yeah, that could work :lol:

I've been thinking too that the peg lowering kit from MCL would take care of the passenger peg issue. My wife wants to try the guards first then lower the pegs if necessary. She has itty bitty feet. :D

With those rear bars and a passenger, there'd be NO place for your feet to slide back on the pegs to keep from dragging and/or catching your toes in a fairly steep turn. And your feet don't really bend that way.

With those rear bars and a passenger, there'd be NO place for your feet to slide back on the pegs to keep from dragging and/or catching your toes in a fairly steep turn. And your feet don't really bend that way.
Hm. Well, I guess we'll see. To this point we've had no problems with our feet, even in twisties, but I see your point. But then again, I'm not usually aggressive in the twisties, lol. If I'm with other riders I tend to end up running sweep by mid day. That's ok by me; I prefer sweepers anyway. ;)

Pardon, but how much did the front and rear sets cost?
$150 for the front and $112.50 for the rear. These prices include shipping to the continental US. Teri is great at answering emails and calls:

@mcenterprises.com

Thats a lot more affordable than I thought It would be. How much if at all does it change the ride characteristics I rarely ride with the side bags in a attempt to keep the sides as trim as possible but for the good it could do i may reconsider. How much wider do the guards make the bike could you still lane split?

They stick out just enough to the bags from hitting, an inch maybe? You will never know they're there. Didn't change the feel of the bike whatsoever

How much if at all does it change the ride characteristics I rarely ride with the side bags in a attempt to keep the sides as trim as possible but for the good it could do i may reconsider. How much wider do the guards make the bike could you still lane split?
This pic may help you:

IMG_5980.jpg
">

Resurrecting an old one here... Does anyone have an informed opinion? I'd like to hear from someone who has/had these on their bike.

Yes, I've searched thoroughly via Google :)

YES, I know many of you think they're fugly. :p

I PM'd a couple of folks from this thread but haven't received a reply.

ENGINE%20GUARD%2017.jpg

SIDE%20BAG%20LRG.JPG

These crash bars are available from MC Enterprises: link
I've had the front bars on now for about a year and the backs on for two. I thought I could use them as riding pegs but it felt really odd to high and to close in. I mounted a set of lights to the plated but in the light alignment I found the plates are not the same (?). These are made for police so I figure the plates are set up for siren horn and light. I really like the looks of the bike with out the bars but it just needs to fall over once and they paied for themselves. I was going to look into mounting pegs to them but put on mcl's riding pegs instead.

Once you put them on and torqed recheck the torq. after awhile as mine loosened up abit.

I've had the front bars on now for about a year and the backs on for two. I thought I could use them as riding pegs but it felt really odd to high and to close in. I mounted a set of lights to the plated but in the light alignment I found the plates are not the same (?). These are made for police so I figure the plates are set up for siren horn and light. I really like the looks of the bike with out the bars but it just needs to fall over once and they paied for themselves. I was going to look into mounting pegs to them but put on mcl's riding pegs instead.

Once you put them on and torqed recheck the torq. after awhile as mine loosened up abit.
Ok, thanks.

And thanks to everyone else who responded and those who shared photos. I appreciate it. :good:

Anyone using these particular crash bars clamped any sort of highway foot pegs to the tubed bar? If so, what brand/model footpeg and did they work satisfactorily?