MC locks

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alcoit

Reaction score
Hi there, what's keeping your machine safe and secure? I realize nothing is bullet proof, but mainly to discourage all but the most persistant.

I was looking at and am very interested in https://www.roadlok.com, but I don't see the FJR listed.

I really dislike the disk locks... I've forgotten about it a couple times... ugh. You get the picture! - Al

Other than locking the ignition switch, haven't used anything in years. Have something similar to this Kryptonite that's been hanging on a hook in the garage, also used a Xena XN-15 disc lock occasionally.

Typically a cover is your best defense to prying eyes. Out of sight, out of mind! Besides...nobody wants an ugly FJR when they can take the shiny Hardley Ableson! :lol:

--G

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay I think that kick-ass cool! I commute daily to downtown L.A. - work/park at STAPLES Center. Peoples cars get broken into routinely. Bikes probably too - not sure. Don't really have time to cover, although that's a great idea, and I did drop my GSXR-600 once with all my neighbors watching. What a dumb-ass! Amazingly it didn't have scratch on it.

So this thing looks fast and I like that you don't have to carry extra crap. Now if they make one for our bikes......

Locking a bike is pretty useless unless it's chained or cabled to something immovable. All a lock does is make it hard to push away. Three or four guys can still toss it onto a trailer and drive off. Granted, that's not very subtle, but depending on where this happens, maybe it's something they're OK with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Locking a bike is pretty useless unless it's chained or cabled to something immovable. All a lock does is make it hard to push away. Three or four guys can still toss it onto a trailer and drive off. Granted, that's not very subtle, but depending on where this happens, maybe it's something they're OK with.
I Agree! That's why although I do put a visible front disk lock on it to deter the opportunist, I installed a LoJack. That way I can hopefully get the bike back before it becomes parts! :rolleyes:

Motorcycle alarms are a good deterrent especially when a red LED is flashing in plane sight. A lot of guys just hook up a flashing LED.

When riding with a friend, we carried a formidable chain long enough to tether the two motorcycles together, and employed the use of disk locks. Using a motorcycle cover is also a good idea and is not a big deal to put on or take off. If you are traveling where it gets cold or damp at night it also keeps the bike dry...how nice.

When traveling solo I use a disk lock and motorcycle cover. One can buy a Zena disk lock with an alarm system,they are screamers.

If I book a hotel in advance or just find one on the way I always ask for a ground floor room and park right in front of the room.

Traveling with a man eating canine is too big of a PITA.

Let's face it, you're not trying to stop the elaborate thief.

Your just trying to stop the knucklehead.

I use a disk break lock when leaving my bike in a parking lot in DC. I also leave it in plain sight of the attendant who I am always friendly with when I come in the lot.

Having had one of my bikes stolen from my house in New Orleans, I take security very seriously. I now use a Xena disk lock with an orange Kryptonite cable to clearly show passer-bys that it is locked. The latest $80 Xena locks have a very loud 110-120 db alarm that sounds when it is moved, so if you touch my bike the neighborhood will hear it. Living in the city I am forced to park on the street, so I park both of my bikes in front of a curbside telephone pole where I have a 35 foot 3/4" alloy tow chain locked to the pole that I pass through the rear wheel of both bikes and lock. That gives me a lock/alarm anywhere that I park my bike and a physical tie down at the place where my bike gets parked the majority of the time.

Opportunist criminals will be detered by the disk lock/bright cable/alarm. Hard core bike thieves physically cannot get past the bike secured to the telephone pole, and I have yet to have another instance of a stolen motorcycle.

I bought one of those oversized Brinks trucks with an extra wide door and a pull-out ramp. The driver and his helper stay behind and patrol the area around the truck.

When I'm riding I use a big cable and padlock wrapped around the bike's tail, but I just use that like HotRodZilla uses his. To block the license plate. :lol:

I have a Xena disc lock. I attached a long coiled plastic cord with a small plastic "key" that fits in the ignition that prevents me from inserting the actual key until I remove it. This works pretty well to remind me to remove the disc lock before riding off.

The brain-piercing screech from the alarm when I lift the bike off the side stand works pretty well too.

Just make sure that you always park your bike next to a Gixxer. That makes an FJR invisible to miscreants.

PS - Some pretty good DPF responses in this thread (Pepperell & Sacto Mike). Makes me nostalgic for the less kind, less gentle forum days. :p

Don't really have time to cover,
Why not? Takes what, 30 seconds to put on/take off? Are your pants on fire or sumpin' when you get to work?? :lol:
After 40 miles, most of which is lane breaking through a bunch of uninsured douche-nozzles, I'm pretty much spent and just want to park and get inside and start my day. Then on the flip side, after 10 to 12 hours of dealing with a bunch of ego-maniacal meat-heads, (basketball players) I just wanna jump on the bike and go home. Back on the same stretch of 40 miles with the same bunch of.......

But I have another solution - worked it out today. I now park where my security buddies can watch it for me ;)

Amazing what a few hockey tickets can do for you.

+1

Back in the 80's I lived in San Diego and worked @ NAASCO aka the big shipyard next to the navy base. There were ALOT of thefts there due to being adjacent to Logan Hts which at that time at least was one of the worst neighborhoods. Guys that drove cars usually bought an old Pinto or similar so to be overlooked. I used to go to work ~30-45 minutes early, used 2 chains & 3 locks to attach the bike to a heavy cable right next to the guard at the gate you walked through. Kinda overkill, but guys had bikes stolen from that location just a little ways down.

One more San Diego story is that you had to watch out for the pickups with "high sides" as in stakes in the bed holes and plywood attached so you couldn't see in the bed; they would take your locked bike and as wfooshee said above just toss it in the back and gone in seconds. Happened all the time.

On the FJR I just lock the ignition and cover it when convenient (like overnight motels). I worry more about the farkles on short stops like eating and such. The thing about wheel/disc locks is that you have to have the cord to go up and attract your attention so you remember to take it off and even with all that I've seen more than one bike take off and do a show in front of god and everbody on Main St. Daytona and other places. The only sure way is to lock it to something, keep it hid, and sleep next to it with a healthy firearm and butt ugly pittbull; and even then if they want it, it's gone.

Best thing to do is park it right next to some guys Screamin' Chicken HD that's all shined up after his killer 20 mile ride to the bar last weekend...

Out of sight, out of mind applies here big time. Unless you are regularly parking in a combat zone, a cover with a padlock will do it . This is better than a disk lock which can be forgotten when getting ready to leave. If I had to park downtown where the dregs pass I might add a Kryptonyte lock around a pole or something.