MegaWatts has started his Epic Journey to Alaska!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Met a guy in Denver (I'm still here, leaving Sun morning) named Randy riding a Kawasaki Concourse. Yesterday we went on a pretty long ride through Rocky Mountain National Park. Below are a few shots:

7190197055_640c0a9176_c.jpg

7190196445_2720284199_c.jpg

7190195313_b1a949f037_b.jpg

7190194755_0c11ae2477_c.jpg

I was in the seat for a good 8 hours, and the Airhawk performed. I couldn't believe it actually. I wouldn't say there was no pain whatsoever, but with this seat I'm confident I could do as long a day as I wanted. I was skeptical until it arrived and it was very well constructed, and then riding with it I was amazed.

So we rode at 12,000 ft plus and I had no engine issues with my Gen I '05. Was running 85 octane, in case anyone is interested.

I'll be heading north through WY and MT shortly to attend NAFO in BC, looking for people to ride with if anyone's around.

I struggled with whether or not to ride to Sheridan on the interstate, or break off into Medicine Bow National Forest for some better roads and better scenery. I decided for the scenic route and it was amazing. From Laramie I took WY 130 to Centennial which took me through the Snowy Range Pass at an elevation of almost 11,000 feet. The air was very cool. There were almost no cars, and riding through the mountains and then the plains I felt myself decompressing amidst the vastness of the land. Along the way I saw lots of pronghorn antelope, but didn't try to get any pictures.

7386265444_6153c20466_z.jpg

7386266794_16d0e4030f_z.jpg

7386266026_35102ab0c3_z.jpg

I continued up WY 487 north to Casper, WY where I am right now--in a hotel. I'm conflicted about the whole camping vs hotel issue. Every time I check into a hotel I feel like a wimp. Then I get into the room, take a shower, change clothes and think, "This is awesome. Pure decadence." It's also nice to have internet access so I can update the blog and check email and stuff. Camping, as it turns out, takes a lot more planning and is less flexible than staying in a hotel. It takes longer to set up and break down, and generally if I'm camping I'm also cooking (boiling water) so I have to deal with that too. You pretty much have to know where you're going to camp before you start your day, or at least figure it out well before you're done for the day. I love camping, but as a means of lodging while traveling everyday it's kind of tough. Still, I expect to start camping more often as I get away from cities and head into the wilderness of MT and then Canada. It'll just mean a little bit shorter riding days to allow for the extra time needed to camp.

I was in the seat for a good 8 hours, and the Airhawk performed. I couldn't believe it actually. I wouldn't say there was no pain whatsoever, but with this seat I'm confident I could do as long a day as I wanted. I was skeptical until it arrived and it was very well constructed, and then riding with it I was amazed.
so glad...it's common for riders to be happy with any seat they have as long as it's a platform for an airhawk...I know guys who hate the corbin their bike came with, or a buddy wanted a smuggler for his C14, and a corbin was the only seat that would work...so he ends up caring less cause he puts a airhawk on top. My Sargeant is a great seat cause it's wider and the airhawk fits it perfectly. All seats are hard unless a Russel, but a used aftermarket seat like a Corbin, Sargeant, or any of the Meyers plus the cost of a airhawk are cheap compared to the cost and hassle of a Russel. Just my 1.5cents.

The stock seat really isn't wide enough at the rear to be optimal for a airhawk on top.

which airhawk did you go with???

thinking i need one meself...
I went with the medium cruiser 14", and it fits my seat perfectly--however I don't have the stock seat, I have a World Sport. After a couple more 7+ hour days, this thing really works.

31gaIScdKkL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I got it on amazon for $140, but I'd say it's worth it. Some day I'll probably get a Russell though. I haven't heard of anyone who didn't like it--but maybe that's because they paid so much and don't want to fess up. :lol:

...the cost of a airhawk are cheap compared to the cost and hassle of a Russel. Just my 1.5cents.
Agreed! Thanks so much for the recommendation because I never would have gotten one otherwise. It's really improving the enjoyment of my trip.

One important note--it raises you up about an inch which for me put me in a cleaner air flow from my windscreen. An added bonus I hadn't anticipated! I love it when stuff like that happens. :)

which airhawk did you go with???

thinking i need one meself...
I went with the medium cruiser 14", and it fits my seat perfectly--however I don't have the stock seat, I have a World Sport. After a couple more 7+ hour days, this thing really works.

31gaIScdKkL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I got it on amazon for $140, but I'd say it's worth it. Some day I'll probably get a Russell though. I haven't heard of anyone who didn't like it--but maybe that's because they paid so much and don't want to fess up. :lol:
$140 means you got the rubber "original" or "R" model

they came out with a cheaper vinyl model ($99), the "2" which some of the more aggressive riders like better...it doesn't flex left to right very much, much less than the original...but it's not repairable and probably doesn't last as long

my original is 3 years old with a patched pin hole in it...I just ordered a new cover as it is the first part to wear out and the straps are pulling away...at my age of 53, I drag my boot across the pad every time I dismount stressing the airhawk

so glad you like it...mostly, folks either love it or hate it as it does feel "different"

I'm currently in Boulder, MT. After Sheridan, WY and the great ride through the mountains, it actually kept getting better. From Cody, WY I took 296 about half way and camped at the Dead Indian camp ground. Kind of scary but I can handle a couple of dead indians. :p

Dead Indian Campground off WY 296

7408565858_cb0eb7f850_z.jpg

7408568304_9dc9716966_z.jpg

WY 296

7408570820_d94c83d8f3_z.jpg

Cooke City, MT

7408572768_c691e0fda4_z.jpg

7408562626_7b3a5bd8d1_z.jpg

After riding the rest of 296, I picked up 212 towards Red Lodge, MT. Got up to 11,000 feet and it was cold, about 40 degrees. Lots of snow still around, in fact there was even a little ski lift operating and people were skiing. While in Red Lodge I ran into Scott and John on their FJRs headed to NAFO--I was psyched to finally meet some other owners. We had lunch, talked bikes, then went on our separate ways since we were planning different routes.

Near the top of 212

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljMfPOIJ6qc&feature=player_detailpage

I struggled with whether or not to ride to Sheridan on the interstate, or break off into Medicine Bow National Forest for some better roads and better scenery. I decided for the scenic route and it was amazing. From Laramie I took WY 130 to Centennial which took me through the Snowy Range Pass at an elevation of almost 11,000 feet. The air was very cool. There were almost no cars, and riding through the mountains and then the plains I felt myself decompressing amidst the vastness of the land. Along the way I saw lots of pronghorn antelope, but didn't try to get any pictures.

I'm conflicted about the whole camping vs hotel issue. Every time I check into a hotel I feel like a wimp. Then I get into the room, take a shower, change clothes and think, "This is awesome. Pure decadence." It's also nice to have internet access so I can update the blog and check email and stuff. Camping, as it turns out, takes a lot more planning and is less flexible than staying in a hotel. It takes longer to set up and break down, and generally if I'm camping I'm also cooking (boiling water) so I have to deal with that too. You pretty much have to know where you're going to camp before you start your day, or at least figure it out well before you're done for the day. I love camping, but as a means of lodging while traveling everyday it's kind of tough. Still, I expect to start camping more often as I get away from cities and head into the wilderness of MT and then Canada. It'll just mean a little bit shorter riding days to allow for the extra time needed to camp.
Great ride report. Riding the scenic roads is usually the preferred option as in staying in hotel. I am now a former camper for all the reason you listed. In May 2012 I road 4720 miles in 11 days and camped once. It was silly to carry the damn gear over all over creation.

In September after is cools off a bit I am considering a ride from Seattle to South Dakota.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great pics and report. I sure am envious of your adventure and wish you best of luck on the rest of the trip...keep the pics coming. :yahoo:

Thanks everyone for following and for the support, it really helps.

So I rode the Going to the Sun road in Glacier NP, from the west to the east, and ran into these guys (not literally, more on that later):

7422136692_a9eaf0aff0_z.jpg

My weather karma must be good because the road had only opened a couple of days before, and the day I rode it the skies were blue and sunny.

Now these guys, Intech and wife Janet, I did run into, literally. Read on.

7422196064_0b60b40792_z.jpg

From over on the NAFO 2012 thread, I'd arranged to meet up with Intech to ride from the east side of Glacier on Going to the Sun, then continue on to Castlegar, BC for NAFO. Every bit of the ride that day was stunning, and once again the weather karma was at work. We had sunny skies and warm weather, but just the day before it was cold and raining we heard. The descent out of the mountains into Castlegar was particularly blissful as we were riding around twilight and the light was just gorgeous. But then...

We were RIGHT ACCROSS from the Fireside Inn, where about 20 NAFO participants were hanging out on the balcony and in the parking lot. From the yield sign where we were stopped, Intech started to turn onto the main roadway, or so I thought. When I saw him start to roll, I looked left to check for cars and started to roll myself. However, when I looked back to my right, Intech actually had not continued onto the highway, and I rear ended him fairly hard. It totally sucked. Intech managed to save his bike from going down, but Janet had to jump off. There was a loud crack, which was my windshield breaking in two, but I didn't go down either. I was kind of shaken and felt sick to my stomach for what had happened. Thank God everyone was ok, except for my ego. Every bit of this scene was witnessed by the NAFO guys as we picked up pieces of my windshield and assessed the damage to Intech's bike. He had a trailer hitch installed, and the impact had bent it down, impinging on his tire. With the help of some bystanders we managed to bend the hitch assembly up enough so the tire could roll. We rode the final 100 yards of what had until then been a sublime riding day into the NAFO parking lot, me sans windshield. What a way to introduce myself to everyone.

Today, miraculously, I found a Yamaha dealer 40 minutes away. They had ONE windshield in stock, a Vstream for a GEN I. I rode down there, and installed it on the spot. However, in the accident I also managed to break the bracket that couples to the mechanism that moves the windshield up and down, but there were still 4 points to secure the windshield. I'll get the rest of it fixed in AK probably.

7422195542_520d0813a3_z.jpg

So anyway, that's what happened. I'm still very upset by the incident since it was my fault, and wasn't sure I wanted to post about it, but am glad I did now. Intech and Janet were extremely cool about the whole incident, which I'm eternally grateful for. Today I'm imposing a safety day on myself and just catching up on posting and computer stuff, so will ride with everyone tomorrow. Everyone wants me to ride in front of them for some reason...

Wow!! That had to Suck! :( But, in all honesty, it's Shit like this that's going to be told over and over when telling everybody about your Most Excellent Adventure. :) Just try not to have too many of these! :lol:

Totally sucks but stuff happens. I've come close to that myself.

On the upside, great photos! I know the ride and the scenery was something you'll never forget.

That sucks, but I'm glad everyone's ok!

Umm, you did to Bob & Janet what I almost did to them during the FJR campout a little while back, lol. A somewhat similar situation except I think an inadvertent stall was involved. ;)

Hope everyone has a blast up there!

Well now that I have a little time since the incident I'm feeling better. Thanks for all the kind comments. True, shit happens, and as is usually the case, it could have been much worse. Plus I learned from it, and am undoubtedly going to be more vigilant in general.

So anyway, NAFO was really cool; what a great group of people. Went on an awesome ride yesterday with 4 others, and even though it rained most of the time it was a blast. I got to push my limits some since I don't have much experience on twistys in the rain, so now am a lot more comfortable with that. As everyone is leaving today it's pissing down rain in fact.

I am headed to Banff today, and hopefully further, but if it's raining out there I'm tempted to wait for the sun so I can see the Canadian Rockies in all their glory.

7433678270_2880d250d0_z.jpg

7433668144_91b14e007b_z.jpg