Mercury refill

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JerseyEd

Reaction score
I need some help finding mercury for my Motion Pro. I did search and it looks like it can evaporate. Motion Pro just shows that it is back ordered for months.And nobody has a source for the refill. I promise not to drink it. I would appreciate any help with this matter. Also another product hat can do job the same job in thier tubes. does any orther industry sell a small amount mercury? thanks

I need some help finding mercury for my Motion Pro. I did search and it looks like it can evaporate. Motion Pro just shows that it is back ordered for months.And nobody has a source for the refill. I promise not to drink it. I would appreciate any help with this matter. Also another product hat can do job the same job in thier tubes. does any orther industry sell a small amount mercury? thanks

You might try a dentist. Nowdays here in California, it is illigal to use liquid Hg in fillings where it is mixed in office. They buy it all sealed in a capsul where it remains until used on a patient, but you might find a dentist who still has some around somewhere who would be willing to part with it.

I was in similar situation a few months and had a hell of a time getting my hands on some. the enviro wacko's have made it where it is practically impossilbe to ship the stufff ...which is why motion pro has gone away from selling their mercury sticks and mercury refill kits. I called as many local distributors as I could looking for one that still had some ...but no luck. Eventually, a tiny dealer in the midwest saw a post of mine and said he had some .....

...Good luck ...i hope you have better luck than I did .....it is tough stuff to get a hold of!

....john

I'm sure there are more than a few evil dentists -ala Marathon Man -around that stock that and other harmful substances. "Is it safe?"

i ordered some last summer. i simply did a google search until i found a company that sold me a replacement bottle.
Thanks, I will try again. Last time I was coming up with dealers that wanted to sell 55 gallon drums of it. I will have to wear heavier gloves for a while, The vibs are sneaking back.

You might try a dentist. Nowdays here in California, it is illigal to use liquid Hg in fillings where it is mixed in office. They buy it all sealed in a capsul where it remains until used on a patient, but you might find a dentist who still has some around somewhere who would be willing to part with it.
Most dentists now days use composite fillings that contain no mercury. If you could find an old thermometer you could get it from that, or an old ac/heat controler.

Forget the mercury - use some two stroke oil instead.

When your pulling a vacum, the diff 1/20th of an inch of mercury equates to about 13/16th of an inch of oil.

You'll get more accurate readings and adjustments using the two stroke oil - plus if something happens to one of your vacum connections, you won't suck any mercury down into the throttle body - only harmless oil.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought my MotionPro from these guys, Whitehorsegear.com, and it seems like they had refills. However, I just looked in their latest catalog and couldn't even find the complete tool. Could be the Merc Nazi's got after them. Wouldn't hurt to give them a call.

Forget the mercury - use some two stroke oil instead.When your pulling a vacum, the diff 1/20th of an inch of mercury equates to about 13/16th of an inch of oil.

You'll get more accurate readings and adjustments using the two stroke oil - plus if something happens to one of your vacum connections, you won't suck any mercury down into the throttle body - only harmless oil.
You cannot put oil in the carb tuner and expect it to work. Hg is used because it is so heavy (dense). An inch of Hg equals about 14" of water in a column, so if we were to use water in a carb tuner, it would have to be 8 feet high. If the column were any shorter, the engine vacuum would just suck the water reservoir dry.

Not sure about the oil's density, but since oil generally floats on water (less dense) I suspect you would need an even taller column. Also, according to your math above, 1" of Hg would be about 16" of oil - which makes sense.

Naturally, this does not apply for the differential units guys have been building from home store hardware. Great idea for TB sync, just doesn't tell you the absolute vacuum from the throttle bodies, which is something I would like to know.

-BD

Forget the mercury - use some two stroke oil instead.When your pulling a vacum, the diff 1/20th of an inch of mercury equates to about 13/16th of an inch of oil.

Thanks for the idea, this weight theory is over my head. Brun Dog explained about water being more dense than oil???? I thought wgt was what it worked on???? The bike is buttoned up for Americade, when I get back I will try different oils 2stroke upto 90 wht. If it works good, if not i'll thru the shit away. I am only interested in getting the the levels equal.After that I think system should take over. I will let you know the result.

is all mercury the same? what about mercury switches,, dont some car alarms have them for motion detectors (junk yard). isnt there a mercury switch/tube in house thermostats (maybe older ones). also thought the boat engine manufacturors used this stuff for something. I remember thay blamed them for polluting lake michigan in the 70's