Metal chunks -- underside of footrests

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Constant Mesh

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Just wondering about the purpose of the removable chunks of metal on the underside of the rider footrests? They are attached with two small screws. The passenger footrests don't have them. The screws pass through and thread into the replaceable rubber tops of the footrests.

Are the chunks for appearance and symmetry or are they possibly vibration dampeners?

From what I've seen, they are sacrificial parts for those who ride more aggressively and scrape their pegs quite a lot.

(mine are pristine!)

But I may be thinking of the wrong piece...

Last edited by a moderator:
He ain't talking about the feelers. Of course iff'n he would have provided a photo all would be a lot clearer! :p

No, there are big round chunks of metal at the end of the footrests for road burn purposes.

These rectangular chunks are attached with screws. They are inboard away from the end of the footrests. If the screw head is ground away the top rubber portion would be loose.

Could be one's money belt I suppose. You can attach your small gold ingots there for emergency purchases.

Could be one's money belt I suppose. You can attach your small gold ingots there for emergency purchases.
I believe that you have that right. n the parts breakdown they are called "arm 1", as in "an arm and a leg."

They are just there in case you get stuck out in BFE and they want to charge you that much for some routine repair.

You can sacrifice that "arm" and be on your way with no problems.

:p

I think they just allow a longer bolt for the footrest pad, so Yammy didn't have to go buy a bunch of short bolts.

The whole damned assembly is designed to hook the tops of your boots when you are trying to get your landing gear up........... :eek: