Metzler Tire Failure

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CowboyDiesel

Reaction score
My front metzler z4 had a belt separation at 9500 miles. I realize that's near the end of the tires tread life but I don't think the tire should fail no matter how little tread is left. Anyone have any luck getting anything out of Metzler becuase of this?

I can say that I am having the same oscillation problem previously mentioned by CowboyDiesel. I have Z4's w/8K on them and feel a bump occasionaly at slow speeds when the road is smooth. Maybe I should stop riding on the tire and replace asap. Problem is, there is a lot of tread on these tires yet. They should have lasted longer. I guess Avon's are the better tire?

If the tire is the stock OEM Yamaha and you are under warranty (and perhaps even if you are not), you may get a new tire out of the deal. Call the home office and complain and you may be surprised. I think some owners have had success getting Yamaha to take care of the tire (not Metzler).

I too had a Metzler Z4 front with a belt separation at 9,450 miles on a 2005 FJR. The tread depth was not near the end, there was a lot left. This separation, unfortunately for me, occured 300 miles from home on the way to the EOM weekend. To prevent the loss of the weekend, I bought a new tire from a local Yamaha dealer. I am now in the process of getting Yamaha to cover the loss. They have not refused yet, they are in the process of getting the defective from the dealer so that they can inspect it for themself. The Yamaha customer service rep told me that if the tire is defective, they would reimburse me for the cost of the new front tire. We'll see how it goes.